New BX25 owner: Grapple available?

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
I'm picking up a BX25 tomorrow and am really looking forward to it.

My property has a ton of overgrown bush etc and I'm looking to use a grapple.
I know that I can buy a thumb for the backhoe but I think brush is something I'd like to do with the FEL instead of the BH.

Does anyone make a grapple for the FEL that will work on a BX25?

I am totally new to this.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Not off hand but, this does sound like a really neat project

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
Nothing that I know of made specifically for the BX. But the simplest and cheapest grapple I've seen is the "THUMB" from greens machine. For around $400 & though you will need to add hydraulics to run it from either a solenoid valve or remote valve.
I'm glad I did both, it's the best feature of my tractor now I use it constantly.

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
Nothing that I know of made specifically for the BX. But the simplest and cheapest grapple I've seen is the "THUMB" from greens machine. For around $400 & though you will need to add hydraulics to run it from either a solenoid valve or remote valve.
I'm glad I did both, it's the best feature of my tractor now I use it constantly.
Thanks. I'll look into the thumb.

I was trying to wade my way through some of the hydraulics threads but they seem pretty complex.

How difficult was it to set up the hydraulics on the BX to be able to run the thumb?

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
Yea, at first it does look complicated, it is pretty basic though once you look at the loader valve and how the 3 pt. is plumbed.
I know some have added rear remotes and or third function diverters to BX's that I've seen some threads on, though I'm not familiar with how to on a BX there are some threads here and on TBN showing pics and Kubota sells a kit for rear remotes I think for the BX or everythingattachments.com probably can put together a kit for a diverter if you don't want to source the parts yourself.
It costed a bit more than I thought it would to add the grapple and remotes on my b2620 but now that it's done I'm glad I did it.

Good luck.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA

I know that I can buy a thumb for the backhoe but I think brush is something I'd like to do with the FEL instead of the BH.

http://www.anbomanufacturing.com/BucketGrapples.htm

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I duno but any place that wants me to fill out a form for a free quote I know is gona be more than I can afford

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I bought one about three days ago, I am really impressed, this thing is a beast ! Add 0% interest, kicking myself for NOT getting it 5 years ago, YOU will love it once you get over the learning curve, shoot I put a small dent in my hood in the first 3 hours, I wasn't even mad......I know this machine will go to he!! and back be I am too old to drive it ! I ordered a piranha bar, cant wait for that to come in!

RickOShay

Equipment
Kubota G1800,BX2370RV,RTV1100
Apr 8, 2014
Buffalo Gap, TX

I am very new to this also...! I recently purchased a new BX2370, which is the same machine as your BX25D without the backhoe. Landpride makes a grapple kit for the BX ( SGC05 ) I just completed installing this on my BX2370 & really like it...! If you go to Youtube & search for " BX Grapple ", you will find several videos, including one from Landpride. There are also several videos from Paul Short regarding this grapple as he installs it on his BX25D. Very informative & he is a master craftsman...! Should you decide to go with the SGC05, you will have to purchase it from your dealer as "whole goods". The grapple is offered by itself with an optional third function kit that includes all hoses, QC couplers, diverter valve, FEL joystick switch, etc. A bit pricey, but everything you will need with the exception of vinyl dust caps & plugs for protecting the QC hydraulics.

One other thing, the SGC is offered as a direct pin on or the Kubota Quick attach. My tractor didn't come with the Kubota QA, so I bought it separately. Now I can switch between my bucket & grapple in less than 5 minutes. Very happy with this setup...!

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
I was going to mention the land pride SGC05 also. I just wish they had a slightly larger version for my B2650.

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
I am very new to this also...! I recently purchased a new BX2370, which is the same machine as your BX25D without the backhoe. Landpride makes a grapple kit for the BX ( SGC05 ) I just completed installing this on my BX2370 & really like it...! If you go to Youtube & search for " BX Grapple ", you will find several videos, including one from Landpride. There are also several videos from Paul Short regarding this grapple as he installs it on his BX25D. Very informative & he is a master craftsman...! Should you decide to go with the SGC05, you will have to purchase it from your dealer as "whole goods". The grapple is offered by itself with an optional third function kit that includes all hoses, QC couplers, diverter valve, FEL joystick switch, etc. A bit pricey, but everything you will need with the exception of vinyl dust caps & plugs for protecting the QC hydraulics.

One other thing, the SGC is offered as a direct pin on or the Kubota Quick attach. My tractor didn't come with the Kubota QA, so I bought it separately. Now I can switch between my bucket & grapple in less than 5 minutes. Very happy with this setup...!
Thanks for the info.
A few questions:
1. How much was everything?
2. Did you get the additional hydraulic line as well?
3. Have you run into any limitations with grapple yet?

RickOShay

Equipment
Apr 8, 2014
Buffalo Gap, TX
The Kubota Quick Attach was $300.00( your tractor may already have this)

The grapple itself was $1080.00

The third function hydraulic kit was $600.00(A bit pricey, but everything comes in the kit,hoses,couplers,12v solenoid valve,mounts,joy stick switch knob,etc) With a true third function hydraulic set up, you don't have to "borrow" hydraulic power from your FEL . With this configuration, you can lift,curl & open or close the grapple all at the same time...!

As to limitations, the grapple weighs 26 lbs more than the original bucket, so you can deduct that amount from the OEM lift capacity for max load limits. I have just installed mine & haven't really put it to the "test" yet.

I had previously installed the Kubota rear remote hydraulic kit along with a top link cylinder from Surplus Center ( don't have a side tilt cylinder yet, but it's in the plans) With aux hydraulics both front & rear, the attachment possibilities are really opened up! I've got my eye on a bucket mounted 8ft pole with a hydraulic chain saw built in. I'm thinking I can trim trees, switch out my bucket for the grapple,pick up the trimmings & go to the burn pile as a one man operation...!

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
The Kubota Quick Attach was $300.00( your tractor may already have this)

The grapple itself was $1080.00

The third function hydraulic kit was $600.00(A bit pricey, but everything comes in the kit,hoses,couplers,12v solenoid valve,mounts,joy stick switch knob,etc) With a true third function hydraulic set up, you don't have to "borrow" hydraulic power from your FEL . With this configuration, you can lift,curl & open or close the grapple all at the same time...!

As to limitations, the grapple weighs 26 lbs more than the original bucket, so you can deduct that amount from the OEM lift capacity for max load limits. I have just installed mine & haven't really put it to the "test" yet.

I had previously installed the Kubota rear remote hydraulic kit along with a top link cylinder from Surplus Center ( don't have a side tilt cylinder yet, but it's in the plans) With aux hydraulics both front & rear, the attachment possibilities are really opened up! I've got my eye on a bucket mounted 8ft pole with a hydraulic chain saw built in. I'm thinking I can trim trees, switch out my bucket for the grapple,pick up the trimmings & go to the burn pile as a one man operation...!
Mind if I ask where you bought it from? I just called and got a price of $1800 for the grapple + 3rd function hydraulics.

RickOShay

Equipment
Apr 8, 2014
Buffalo Gap, TX
I bought mine from my local Kubota dealer. I should probably add that not only are they awesome to do business with, but I get a discount on my purchases. The fact that I have purchased (3) Kubotas from them( 2 in the last six months) might have a bearing on things.:D

Ezlife45

Equipment
B2650
Jun 5, 2014
Louisiana
Please clarify the 600 for the third function valve. My dealer says 1000 installed. Did you install the third function valve?

RickOShay

Equipment
Apr 8, 2014
Buffalo Gap, TX
Yes, I installed it myself. The instructions are easy to follow.

A Kubota dealership's hourly labor rate for the service department will vary from local to local. Around here, the rate is $100.00 per hour. That can add up quickly & will increase your overall cost for attachments.

Also, when I ordered my grapple & 3rd function kit, I waited until there was a truckload shipment to the dealer so I wouldn't have to pay freight for shipping. It took a while to get it, but a significant savings.

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
Please clarify the 600 for the third function valve. My dealer says 1000 installed. Did you install the third function valve?
$600 seems kind of steep for a 3rd function hydraulic kit.
Isn't it just some plumbing and a switch?

I wonder if there are 3rd party alternatives to this.