M series vs L series

bfitzgerald3

Nov 13, 2012
harbor springs, mi
I'm hoping to get some insight on the difference between the two series...

What's the big difference between, say, the L5040 and MX5100? Clearly there's a few hp variation...I'm wondering about bigger differences that I'll see/feel.

Thanks

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Depends upon what you are doing with the tractor?

It has already been mentioned that one is a delux, and the M is a basic.

From there it becomes a issue of what you are using it for?

1) Loader capacity and lift height?
2) Backhoe capacity and dumping height?
3) Three point lift capacity?
4) Physical size of the two and how that relates to the area you will be using it?
5) Finacial considerations between the two and buying one / paying one off

Just some thoughts.

David

bfitzgerald3

Nov 13, 2012
harbor springs, mi
I'm doing general hobby farm tasks...trail maintenance, small tree removal, snow blowing, hoping to do small time hay production (20 to 30 acres seems feasible), throw in some food plots, put fencing, etc etc.

I was originally looking at the smaller sizes...3740 to 4030. Not much looked good in the used category. Making hay seemed borderline possible with that size. The m5100 seems to address some of this, although I'll need to get a sims cab and a blower, so the cost is creeping up again.

Before diving into it, I want to be sure I'm not losing too much...the m5100 looks like a nice, very capable tractor...loses a bit of strength to the 5040 on the back (2700 vs 2300 lbs).

The Comparison site that hodge linked to is nice, but it's hard for me to see how there is a $12,000 difference in the base price. Do you think that the 400 lbs is a big deal? Wll i eventually wish that I could have the mid pto? Other than that, Is it really just bells and whistles?

Thanks,
Brian

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Twelve grand buys a lot of implements...
I guess you are talking about the tph lift capacity - the tractors weigh about the same. If you are haying, you are pulling stuff, not lifting it. I personally don't see an issue.
Both tractors are out of my category.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I agree. For me, I value simplicity over bells and whistles. I would take the difference and invest in implements. I don't farm or landscape for a living, so the niceties don't matter much to me.

Wxman

Equipment
MX4700HST/loader
Feb 1, 2011
Indiana
Also, what transmission do you want or are you most comfortable with? The L has the GST, while the MX has gear or HST, all very different animals to me depending on what you are doing.

I am biased. I have the MX4700HST and am very happy. I wanted simple with no electronic gadgetry to worry about because I will probably be using the tractor for 20+ years. Heck, I didn't even get the turbo of the MX5100. If I was making my living with it and/or getting a new tractor every 5 or six years I may have gone a different route.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I don't want to lie, and the prices have changed. Seems to me my dealer came in a grand or so under Kubota's website. That was for the tractor, loader, canopy and R4 tires. The jury is still out on the R4s - they do not care for mud. If I had it to do over....
I think you'll be happy with the tractor. That is what counts.

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I don't want to lie, and the prices have changed. Seems to me my dealer came in a grand or so under Kubota's website. That was for the tractor, loader, canopy and R4 tires. The jury is still out on the R4s - they do not care for mud. If I had it to do over....
I think you'll be happy with the tractor. That is what counts.
I almost went with R4 tires. But after a year with the new L3800, I'm glad I got the R1 ag tires!

Wxman

Equipment
MX4700HST/loader
Feb 1, 2011
Indiana
My local dealer pretty much puts new tractors out the door 15% under the MSRP, and matches that with implements if purchased at the same time. They are pretty good on parts too.

Good luck

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I'll throw my 2 cents in.

It's much cheaper to get the tractor you want or need the first time around. It's a real PIA to buy a tractor and a couple of yrs later deside you have messed up.

A big tractor can be throttled back for small jobs but you can't stretch HP out. These little Kubotas are tuff and always seem to rise to the challenge but they all have their limits. If you plan to do hay make sure you get enough power. You don't want to be underpowered in the field. It's not only stressfull on you but is hard on the tractor.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I agree with Bulldog on that one. There's plenty of us on here who wish we had a larger tractor from the start and we make do with what we have. When in doubt go bigger then what you need and you can't go wrong. In this case when buying a tractor new bigger is always better!

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
When I bought the L3800, I was a bit concerned it was not goin to be large enough. It as surpassed all exceptions and does all I ask. It's a log skidder right now. Large white oak logs! :D

bfitzgerald3

Nov 13, 2012
harbor springs, mi
"M" is for mine!

MX5100HST is all but ordered. Provided the dealer can get the blower and cab we discussed, it's a done deal.

Now the waiting game to see which comes first, the tractor and blower or the season's first real snow. In the meantime, I can hunt for the right hay equipment for next year!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Congrats on the M. I believe you will be much happier with that size in the long run.

I have bought 3 new tractor and I have a big regret from all 3. I missed getting to see them delivered to my house. That's like having a new baby and just waiting for the wife to bring it home before you check it out. Maybe you will have the joy of seeing your new orange baby delivered.

PS. We all like new orange so take us some pics of the new ride.