Issue after changing RCR 1860 blades

Forester45

Equipment
L3301DT
Sep 22, 2016
Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
I have a Kubota L3301 with an RCR 1860 - 211 hours. Hit a small pine stump while mowing Sunday and somehow bent one of the blades. It has a 25 degree bend down about 1/3 from the tip. Purchased new blades and installed yesterday - while testing noted much more vibration on the deck than before - the vibration increases when I power up and decreases when I step on clutch - could the shaft be bent - looking for suggestions.

Still cannot figure out how the blade got bent on the small stump - stumped on that :eek:

Thanks in advance.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Take the blades off and check them for balance. Unfortunately you probably hit your stump on the head with the bent shaft prediction. My problem was an axle part in a clean field.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I have hit a lot of stumps and things with my RCR1860 and I do not have that problem.

If the slip clutch was set correctly, then you should not have to worry about any problems with the gearbox or shaft.

Forester45

Equipment
L3301DT
Sep 22, 2016
Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Thanks for the replies. I just did my spring reset of the slip-clutch a few weeks ago so I am thinking it is OK.

Upon review, I realized that I pulled up on the shredder about the same time it made contact with the stump and that is how it must have gotten bent - only thing I can figure out.

Assuming the best way to check for bent shaft is to strip it down and look at - does not sound like a fun project :(

Sorry if questions are stupid - somewhat new to tractors and still learning.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
Check blade weights, too much diff will cause vibe.

If they're the same:

You can check the spindle without completely dismantling it. You just have to take the blades and stump jumper off. Use a dial gauge against the spindle for run out. You can even use a wire that you hold in place and visually see the spindle run out against the wire.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Thanks for the replies. I just did my spring reset of the slip-clutch a few weeks ago so I am thinking it is OK.

Upon review, I realized that I pulled up on the shredder about the same time it made contact with the stump and that is how it must have gotten bent - only thing I can figure out.

Assuming the best way to check for bent shaft is to strip it down and look at - does not sound like a fun project :(

Sorry if questions are stupid - somewhat new to tractors and still learning.
As I used to tell my students, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

I could not get my stump-jumper off but maybe you will have better luck.

I have found that it is easy to bend blades even though they look so ridged.