Kubota b6000 3 point lift cylinder seal replacement

Curt7088

Equipment
B6000
Apr 7, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
Hey e'erybody,

I am about to attempt to replace the seals on my b6000 (New to me on the 7th of this month). I tested the 3 point when I got it and it worked fine. I even tried it with my fat but standing on the lift arms. Saturday I picked up a 48" blade and put it on and used it for a few minutes then put it away to go do non fun stuff. Yesterday I pulled it out and started to use it and after lifting it for the third time I tried to lift it a 4th and it was barely moving. I ended up having to pull the blade off to move it back to the shed. came out later to show it to my bro in law and fluid had leaked out ALL OVER MY SHED FLOOR!! (I thought potty training my puppy was bad). Anyways, I think I may have blown a seal on the lift cylinder and wanted to know if anyone had a video of the job. I have searched the site here and youtube, but didn't find any. I did find a few step by steps, but they were not specific to the b6000. Is there anything specific I can do to make the job easier.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's not a seal on the three point cylinder, that would leak back into the tractors sump (you wouldn't see the leak), but it could be on the cover though (rare to be that).
The cover is sealed by 2 O-rings and one copper crush ring.

The fact that you were running it and then it quit working points to a pressure loss (pipe leaking, seal leaking), bet it was leaking while you were using it.

Fill it back up with hydraulic fluid and run it, operating the three point and isolate where the leak is coming from.

Last edited:

Curt7088

Equipment
B6000
Apr 7, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
Ok, so I took a look... The leak is coming from the seal just below the lift arms that is covered by the top link plate. However, I dont think that is what is causing it stop working. I started the tractor and it will lift and lower several times. Each time it will get slowet until it stops moving. Any ideas on the cause? I cant find any place else that is leaking in any of the lines.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Have you been to kubotabooks.com to download excellent operators and WSM on B6000's?

In the operator's manual on page 31 there are some basic adjustments that should be checked plus a hydraulic intake screen that should be cleaned.

As NIW suggested, you need to thoroughly clean around the 3 pt area using a brush and varsol. Alternatively brake clean and compressed air.

You need to identify where it is leaking and having oil everywhere just makes it confusing.

You can purchase inexpensive fluorescent dye kits that make leak sources easy to find. You add the dye to the transmission fluid, run the tractor and then look for glowing spots when you shine a special flashlight around.
https://www.amazon.com/Uview-413010...28&sr=8-5&keywords=fluorescent+leak+detection

https://www.amazon.com/Tracer-Produ...48&sr=8-4&keywords=fluorescent+leak+detection

Youtube has videos of the leak detection in progress.

Dave

Curt7088

Equipment
B6000
Apr 7, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
I am confident about the source of the leak. I cleaned up the rear of the tractor before my post earlier, I started the tractor and operated the 3 point and watched it leak from the area I mentioned earlier. I've been looking at parts diagrams from coleman equipment and I think it is leaking from the attached picture 1.(indicated by the red arrow, it is leaking from the seam.) There is no fluid anywhere else on the tractor and no spots on my shed floor. I looked over the WSM after you mentioned it and I am not sure which adjustment on pg 31 would help, but I will play with them tomorrow and see if it will fix the issue. I completely forgot to check the filter. I will also check that tomorrow. Thank you for the ideas and information.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I am confident about the source of the leak. I cleaned up the rear of the tractor before my post earlier, I started the tractor and operated the 3 point and watched it leak from the area I mentioned earlier. I've been looking at parts diagrams from coleman equipment and I think it is leaking from the attached picture 1.(indicated by the red arrow, it is leaking from the seam.) There is no fluid anywhere else on the tractor and no spots on my shed floor. I looked over the WSM after you mentioned it and I am not sure which adjustment on pg 31 would help, but I will play with them tomorrow and see if it will fix the issue. I completely forgot to check the filter. I will also check that tomorrow. Thank you for the ideas and information.
It is likely me but I cannot get to see your thumbnail photo large enough to see any detail.

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm going to say your leaaks are only seeping leaks right?

That's not your issue, but I bet your issue is that your foaming the hydraulic fluid and it's being forced out of the vent hose on the top cover.

That would explain your puddle and the lack of response after a short period of time on the three point operations. ;)

Curt7088

Equipment
B6000
Apr 7, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
I'm going to say your leaaks are only seeping leaks right?

That's not your issue, but I bet your issue is that your foaming the hydraulic fluid and it's being forced out of the vent hose on the top cover.

That would explain your puddle and the lack of response after a short period of time on the three point operations. ;)
That is correct, only, I have not seen anything coming from the vent hose. Actually, I didnt notice the vent hose. I haven't had a chance to clean the filter yet, nor have I looked again since Wednesday evening, I had class Thursday evening and Tonight I worked a little late and prepared for drill tomorrow. I WILL take a look at it tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the information.

Zoltan

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Apr 15, 2014
Los Gatos, CA, USA
This is an old text thread I just ran across when googling that my hydraulic lift on my B6000 won't stay up. There is no external oil leak. When I raise the Howard Tiller it will lift it up, but it won't stay up, it fairly quickly goes back down to the ground. I'm assuming it needs new seals. I found this YouTube video, no verbal description.
Is this the best YouTube out there on this topic? Any suggestions as to what steps I should take to fix this? Thanks.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
That video shows the valve being repaired.

There is also a seal on the piston that pushes the small arms up.

There should be a speed control knob under the seat for the three point hitch.

Raise the tiller and then turn the speed control knob to the lock position.

see this thread for more details on results

Zoltan

Equipment
Kubota B6000
Apr 15, 2014
Los Gatos, CA, USA
That video shows the valve being repaired.

There is also a seal on the piston that pushes the small arms up.

There should be a speed control knob under the seat for the three point hitch.

Raise the tiller and then turn the speed control knob to the lock position.

see this thread for more details on results
Thanks. I'm not aware of the speed control knob, I'll check that out next week when I'm home.