Error 84 throttle sensor

Lozeau4060

Equipment
L4060
Apr 12, 2018
Rocky Mount,Va
I have an L4060 and started it up the other day to do some work and the" Error 84 throttle sensor" came on the dash display.The engine Rpms were at about 1300 or1400 and I could not throttle it back to an idle.Has anyone else experienced this problem?Is it a bad sensor causing this error or something else?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I haven't seen that problem, but here is what it says in the shop manual:

Sensor output terminal is out of adjustment

Wiring for sensor is disconnected or short circuited

Sensor failure

Main sensor voltage is less than 0.2 V or greater than 4.9 V

Sub sensor voltage less than 0.2 V or greater than 4.9V

Main plus sub less than 3.9V or greater than 6.1 V 60 msec in a row.

These tests can be measured on the intellipanel, but you'll need the shop manual.

I'd start with checking the connections first in case a mouse ate a wire.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The picture in the paper copy is not very good, and the pdf downloads images with lousy resolution, but I've attached a copy. If I figure out how to outfox it I'll replace it. In the meantime, the throttle sensor in all the models seems to be under the cover over the throttle and the FEL valve, and is bolted to the fender. A wire goes to the space behind the Intellipanel. Seems like the latter would be hard to take apart, but I haven't tried it.

If your tractor is still under warranty, I would recommend that you see if the dealer would send out a tech who may be able to id the problem and recalibrate using the Intellipanel in a few minutes. Worth a call to ask and could be an opportunity to learn something. I kind of hate the kind of interface you use to change settings through the Intellipanel, but that may be because I don't know what I'm doing usually and have to guess :rolleyes:

Attachments

Lozeau4060

Equipment
L4060
Apr 12, 2018
Rocky Mount,Va
My tractor is not under warranty any more so I'm trying to figure this out myself before I go to the dealer.The pic that was posted is not clear enough to make out.Is there some where I can go online to find out more about this throttle sensor?Ive searched but haven't been able to find much.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I am having the same problem with an L3240. I am guessing it's the same as your machine. What my dealer came up with is in the Kubota online parts diagram under
Electrical, switch sensor (engine). It's mounted above the injection pump. Sorry buy my lack of digital prowess forbids my sending the picture. I hope this is right.

Mike

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My tractor is not under warranty any more so I'm trying to figure this out myself before I go to the dealer.The pic that was posted is not clear enough to make out.Is there some where I can go online to find out more about this throttle sensor?Ive searched but haven't been able to find much.
I was afraid of that. I can try to get better picture, but you really need whole wsm. The directions you need are in several places. Check messages.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
rentthis,
The sensor above the injection pump is the Speed sensor, the throttle sensor is under the dash.
I can point out it's location if you give me the exact model too. ;)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a L series Kubota DTC code publication if it would be of help, I can make it available upon request. It contains more than just a list of codes.

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The Model that I have is the L4060GST
There are two throttle position sensors on that model.
One is on the right side below the throttle lever.
The other is on the top dash side of the shutter plate (fire wall) under the dash.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lozeau4060

Equipment
L4060
Apr 12, 2018
Rocky Mount,Va
The tractor was calling for parked regen but it couldn't because of the throttle issue.I disconnected the hand throttle and it idled but no regen.Reconnected hand throttle sensor and disconnected the foot throttle sensor and it idled and regened.does this mean the foot throttle sensor is bad?