Corrosion in Fuel Tanks

CEEinc

Jan 1, 2017
Bedford,VA
How do you avoid corrosion in diesel tanks?

I have owned my 2003 M9000 Diesel Tractor for almost 2 years. After roughly 14 months of ownership I started to encounter what appeared to be a fuel starvation problem. The problems normally appeared when the tanks were below 1/2 full and I checked to make sure the fuel gauge was working properly. After having this problem a few times I removed the fuel tanks and discovered a thick layer of sludge/debris in both tanks and concluded this was causing my problems. After tank cleaning/boiling I started to encounter the same problem once the fuel level dropped below 1/2 full. I dropped the tanks and found additional rust/corrosion in the fuel. I have ordered new tanks but I'd like to avoid this problem in the future.

As a side note, since my ownership, I have fueled the tractor with fresh and clean off road diesel from a new plastic storage tank. This fuel has also been used in 3 other machines with no problems with the fuel system.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
How do you avoid corrosion in diesel tanks?

I have owned my 2003 M9000 Diesel Tractor for almost 2 years. After roughly 14 months of ownership I started to encounter what appeared to be a fuel starvation problem. The problems normally appeared when the tanks were below 1/2 full and I checked to make sure the fuel gauge was working properly. After having this problem a few times I removed the fuel tanks and discovered a thick layer of sludge/debris in both tanks and concluded this was causing my problems. After tank cleaning/boiling I started to encounter the same problem once the fuel level dropped below 1/2 full. I dropped the tanks and found additional rust/corrosion in the fuel. I have ordered new tanks but I'd like to avoid this problem in the future.

As a side note, since my ownership, I have fueled the tractor with fresh and clean off road diesel from a new plastic storage tank. This fuel has also been used in 3 other machines with no problems with the fuel system.
Condensation in fuel tanks is unavoidable but can be markedly reduced by trying to keep the tank full. Treating the fuel with an additive that contains a biocide will help preclude the sludge formation caused by bacteria living in the fuel/water interface in the tank. Condensation problems are exacerbated in warm humid climates so it is doubly important to try to manage the condensation problem.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can coat the interior of the tanks with Por-15 or epoxy kits.

I used the epoxy kit on my L-185 after it rusted through. Been a while and still going well.

I’ll try to link to that thread- here it is

A few weeks ago I had trouble with my L185 acting like it was running out of fuel. Added fuel tried to start= no go!
Took off fuel line into filter and no fuel came out of line. Blew air into line and it cleared blockage so I got it running.

A couple weeks go by and same deal.

I take tank off to drain and clean it out and find it has rust in the inside. Figure I would try Por 15 to see how it works. Several small holes appeared in the bottom during the cleaning process using Simple Green. So not much luck coming my way. Por 15 is thin and won't plug holes well, can work but too many steps for me.

Look for new tank and they are discontinued! Messicks has an aftermarket for way too much = $1000 (yes one thousand!).

Search internet and find Caswell Tank liner kits. They are 2 part epoxy kits that can be used for lining rusted tanks. The kits for small tanks are around $50.

Used the Caswell kit and it sealed all the holes. Installed tank and all seems well now.

Hopefully it will hold up and not give any further problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: