Safety kill switch

wlollar

Equipment
L3200 2WD Standard gear drive
Feb 27, 2018
Ethelsville, AL
I have a L3200 Kubota. Is the kill switch under the seat the only switch that might go bad(malfunction)? Just recently, the engine has started to cut off when I dismount, even with the parking brake set and shifter in neutral as it should be. I just need to know If replacing that switch will cure this or is there another switch somewhere that could cause this same symptom. Thanks.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
That's likely the cause. But there may be some others, neutral safety (possibly) and a PTO switch.

Try jumping the terminals on the seat switch and see if it cuts off when you get off the seat (or tape the flipper closed).

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The PTO switch being faulty is what is causing it. ;)
The seat switch being bad would either not start or run ever or wouldn't kill it when you got off.

And FYI: You added model, but not type, which is just as important.

Last edited:

wlollar

Equipment
Feb 27, 2018
Ethelsville, AL
The PTO switch being faulty is what is causing it. ;)
The seat switch being bad would either not start or run ever or wouldn't kill it when you got off.

And FYI: You added model, but not type, which is just as important.
Thanks for bringing that to my attn. Can you tell me approx. location of that PTO switch? Oh...it's L3200, standard 2-wheel drive, gear drive. BTW Wolfman, you helped me with fuel filter O-ring. Thanks for that! I made my last payment on my tractor this month, and this is the 1st part to have gone bad in 5 years. Now I just need to pinpoint the switch and replace.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
PTO lever on right hand side of tractor. Look from rear of tractor and there are two electrical cables going to the pto lever. Switch 1 and switch 2. Each has a 2-pin connector.

wlollar

Equipment
Feb 27, 2018
Ethelsville, AL
PTO lever on right hand side of tractor. Look from rear of tractor and there are two electrical cables going to the pto lever. Switch 1 and switch 2. Each has a 2-pin connector.
It appears that the 2 switches are side by side and screw in to the tractor housing. Each has two male pin terminals. I priced these switches today at local dealer, one is $30 and the other $60. Is there a way to check which I need or should I replace both. I'm curious as to why you and Idaho Wolfman seem to be rather sure it's these switches that are bad.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Should definitely check the switches before putting any money out.

There are about 17 things in the Operator Presence Control circuit. Could be any of those, but can start with the PTO switches.

With the engine off, disconnect one switch and measure for continuity across that switch with the PTO in OFF and ON. Record and do the same for the other switch without mixing up the connectors. Each switch should conduct in one of the PTO modes and not conduct in the opposite mode.

If one of the switches is not working then it will need replacing.

If both switches work then the problem is somewhere else in the circuit.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
By the way, both PTO switches show as the same, with same part number. They are not the $60 switch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
100 td,
This is one case where the Kubotabooks L3200WSM will not help, it a completely different wiring (It's the European WSM version P/N 9Y011-13601) that does not have the same wiring, devices, or safeties that the US version has.

You would need P/N 9Y111-05201 in order to see the right wiring schematic. ;)

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
100 td said:
I haven't checked the logic and diagram for this but it's generally the norm
100 td,
This is one case where the Kubotabooks L3200WSM will not help, it a completely different wiring (It's the European WSM version P/N 9Y011-13601) that does not have the same wiring, devices, or safeties that the US version has.
You would need P/N 9Y111-05201 in order to see the right wiring schematic. ;)
Good thing I didn't check!
Got a link to the US version?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Ok well let's use some logic here. If you get up off of the seat and the engine dies, that means the seat switch works as designed. I will never in my life understand why people are quick to call it "bad" when this happens....

The issue lies in any of the other switches, from the PTO switch to the neutral switch to the controller and/or wiring. The controller "thinks" that something is "on"-and then the seat switch is used; when you get off and the tractor "thinks" that something is "on"-it will shut the engine down as it is designed to do.

Reminds me of a customer years ago. They used the tractor to move trailers; and that's all it was ever used for. The #1 complaint from 'em was that the thing kept blowing a fuse and would just shut down during operation, seemed to happen about weekly. They'd bypassed the seat switch (which is a stupid thing to do) and left the wiring laying behind the seat. Also behind the seat was a couple of trailer hitches, one was a standard 2" receiver type and the other was a 5th wheel ball hitch-which weighed about 15 lbs. Well the whole problem all along was the 5th wheel ball-it was cutting into the wire causing a short circuit. But per usual, that surely can't be the problem, I'm wrong they're right. So be it, come get your stuff-which they did, and to this day they buy 20 fuses a week and just switch them out when one blows. Sometimes you can't fix stupid.