3 Point Hitch, No Lift Power

Frbe62

Equipment
L235 DT, L275
Aug 10, 2016
Maryville, TN
I have a Kubota L275 2wd with no loader, no power steering and no other hydraulic powered accessories except the 3 point hitch. I was told that the three point hitch didn't work when I bought the tractor. I found that the piston and cylinder were seized due to rust. I removed the cylinder and cleaned and honed it and replaced the O ring and spacer rings. The hitch did begin to work but it would not lift 20 lbs. I took apart the relief valve and block and found no issues. I was told that the hydraulic pump needed to be replaced when I bought the tractor so I put a new pump on it. when I start the tractor the 3 point hitch lifts very slowly with the control handle in the down position. When I move the control handle to the up position it moves faster but I can still hold the hitch back with my hands and it will not lift. I was told to check the cylinder with air pressure to ensure the cylinder wall and rings have a good seal. The hitch jumped up quickly with 100 lbs of air pressure. I was also told to remove the hydraulic oil fill cap and to listen for air bleeding into that housing. I did hear air bleeding into the housing. At this point I'm guessing the problem is the position control valve. If this is the problem what do I look for and how do I correct the problem?

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Fred

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If your getting air into the hydraulics, it's not the control that's the cause of that, it's the suction line to the hydraulic pump.

Look at all lines hoses and connections for a leak, It might present as a seeping leak when its not running.

Frbe62

Equipment
L235 DT, L275
Aug 10, 2016
Maryville, TN
If your getting air into the hydraulics, it's not the control that's the cause of that, it's the suction line to the hydraulic pump.

Look at all lines hoses and connections for a leak, It might present as a seeping leak when its not running.
NIW,

I am not getting air in the hydraulic system. A friend told me to test the hydraulic cylinder with air pressure to make sure it made a good seal and lifted the 3 point hitch. The friend also told me to remove the hydraulic fill cap and listen to hear if it sounded like some air was diverted into the hydraulic fluid case.

I replaced the rubber hose on the suction side and replaced the fluid and filter less than one hour ago. When I took apart the relief valve I cranked the starter a couple of rotations and had a good flow of hydraulic fluid there. I dont know what else the problem could be other than the 3 point control valve. Is there a rebuild kit available for this valve? Do you have any recommendations on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Fred

Frbe62

Equipment
L235 DT, L275
Aug 10, 2016
Maryville, TN

I looked at all lines and hoses and have no leaks. I don't believe I am getting air in the system.

In my prior posting I explained that the hydraulic cylinder for the three point hitch was rusted and seized when I bought the tractor. I removed the cylinder and honed it and replaced the o ring and spacer rings. I also changed the hydraulic fluid and filter and the flexible hose on the suction line. After doing this work the 3pt hitch now immediately starts to lift very slowly when I start the tractor (this is with the 3pt control lever in the down position). When I raise the control lever, the 3pt hitch lifts faster but it does not have any lifting power. I can hold the 3pt hitch down with my body weight. I checked the relief valve to see if something was stuck in there and it was clean. I also cranked the starter a few times to check to see if hydraulic fluid was flowing to the relief valve and there was good flow of fluid.

I was told to check the 3pt hydraulic cylinder with 100lbs of air pressure to see if the cylinder was making a good seal. The 3pt hitch lifted in one motion when the air was connected to it.

The only thing I haven't looked at is the 3pt control valve. I have a WSM but don't have the background knowledge to understand the instructions for servicing the 3PT control valve.

Fred

Athompson

Equipment
L3301
Jul 22, 2022
MS
I looked at all lines and hoses and have no leaks. I don't believe I am getting air in the system.

In my prior posting I explained that the hydraulic cylinder for the three point hitch was rusted and seized when I bought the tractor. I removed the cylinder and honed it and replaced the o ring and spacer rings. I also changed the hydraulic fluid and filter and the flexible hose on the suction line. After doing this work the 3pt hitch now immediately starts to lift very slowly when I start the tractor (this is with the 3pt control lever in the down position). When I raise the control lever, the 3pt hitch lifts faster but it does not have any lifting power. I can hold the 3pt hitch down with my body weight. I checked the relief valve to see if something was stuck in there and it was clean. I also cranked the starter a few times to check to see if hydraulic fluid was flowing to the relief valve and there was good flow of fluid.

I was told to check the 3pt hydraulic cylinder with 100lbs of air pressure to see if the cylinder was making a good seal. The 3pt hitch lifted in one motion when the air was connected to it.

The only thing I haven't looked at is the 3pt control valve. I have a WSM but don't have the background knowledge to understand the instructions for servicing the 3PT control valve.

Fred
Hi. Did you get any resolution to this issue?