Broken Bro-Tek thumb

Eldubya

Equipment
B7800FEL Bck hoe Box scraper Post auger Field rake
Apr 14, 2014
Quadra Island BC
So, after extolling the virtues of my mechanical thumb just the other day, it's now toast! The main anchor/pivot bushing has worn itself out of round and actually bent the large clevis pin holding it in place. Now it's so crooked it's useless.
I know..... you're going to say I was too rough on it, or pushed something sideways with it. Nope! Just picking up logs and rocks. - What it should be used for. Not very happy. :mad:
Anybody else run into this with theirsÉ

Eldubya

Equipment
Apr 14, 2014
Quadra Island BC
As a follow up to the problem with the thumb: Emailed Richard at Bro-Tek, just to let him know the problem with the product. Did not ask or expect anything to be done about it.
He immediately offered to send me a replacement unit, at no charge! When he says "We stand behind our product", he means it.

THAT, is customer service!:)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As a follow up to the problem with the thumb: Emailed Richard at Bro-Tek, just to let him know the problem with the product. Did not ask or expect anything to be done about it.
He immediately offered to send me a replacement unit, at no charge! When he says "We stand behind our product", he means it.

THAT, is customer service!:)
I figured if you called him that he would do that. I bought spacers a while back, no problems with them - but got emails asking questions and follow up emails.

that is what business is supposed to be like - customer is happy!

His way of solving issues will only make his business that much better!

glad you got it worked out! ;)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Pivot points are common stress points. Sometimes simple design works great, other times, not so much.

There is usually a hard bearing surface and a softer one in the design. Normally you have a hardened steel sleeve a soft steel (or in weaker applications, brass/bronze) bushing and a hardened pin. Over time the soft bushing gives out and is replaced. If you don't replace it often enough, it can wear on the hardened steels. The softer metal is sacrificial.

So, on the new one, see what the design is. In any case, keep it greased like crazy. If it's all soft steels, you are going to have to replace the sleeves and pins more often, especially if there is no intermediate bushing.

Eldubya

Equipment
Apr 14, 2014
Quadra Island BC
Received a brand spanking new thumb yesterday from Bro-Tek. He even included new clevis pins.
Yay Richard!

THAT, is great customer service!

Now, back to work...

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Pivot points are common stress points. Sometimes simple design works great, other times, not so much.

There is usually a hard bearing surface and a softer one in the design. Normally you have a hardened steel sleeve a soft steel (or in weaker applications, brass/bronze) bushing and a hardened pin. Over time the soft bushing gives out and is replaced. If you don't replace it often enough, it can wear on the hardened steels. The softer metal is sacrificial.

So, on the new one, see what the design is. In any case, keep it greased like crazy. If it's all soft steels, you are going to have to replace the sleeves and pins more often, especially if there is no intermediate bushing.
How do you tell the difference between soft steels and hard steels?