Well, it's time

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
Old L245DT that was my uncles. I bought it after he died and have just been waiting for this to happen. The rear wheel rim has rusted though at the valve stem. The cancer was bad enough when I bought it that it was deemed unrepairable so I have been waiting for this to happen.

Holy cow!?!?!?!?!? My dealer wants $374.15ea. for new 9X24 rims. He can't even get me a drawing of it to let me know if it will keep the same wheel spacing on the center disc as what I have (the old z-style mounting tabs).

I thought that getting new tires would be the most expensive part (11.2 10-24 ag) but it seems that I have miscalculated.

Questions:

I am pretty sure Kubota did not make these rims. Who did? What other tractors use the same rims? I will paint over other colors if I have to.

I have seen rims listed on e-bay with the bolt tunnel type mounting to the center disc. I would need new, longer bolts for that application, right? Anybody know how long?

I KNOW Kubota is special, but really, $374.15 a rim is kinda outrageous for a sub-compact tractor......... Or am I way off on this?

Surely, someone has been here before me. I look forward to some experience talking and setting me straight.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
sambo, these folks make wheels to fit anything. I've bought airplane tires mounted on wheels for mowers from them. Very good to deal with, good workmanship. Don't know about specific wheel cost, but give them a call and find out "from the horses mouth".

They're not too far from you if you can find something.

http://heywheel.com/

Might even ask if they can cut the center out of your wheel and fabricate the rest.... They're pretty creative.

Last edited:

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
Thanks to both of you. I will look into these ideas. First things first, supper then a stiff drink and a quiet smoke on the front porch then I can chase ideas around the internet.

Any ideas about new bolt lengths?

Thanks!

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
D2,

Thanks again for the tip on Hey Wheel. I have been working with them and got things figured out. It's not that the problem is a big deal, just my understanding of the issue.

Bryan from HeyWheel has been great to work with. He explained things for me when I couldn't get any info from my Kubota dealers. I've got new rims ordered..... so in short order, my little 245 should be back "on the road".

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
Re: Well, it's time (Update L245 Wheel Rim... SUCESS!)

D2,

Thanks again for the tip on Hey Wheel. I have been working with them and got things figured out. It's not that the problem is a big deal, just my understanding of the issue.

Bryan from HeyWheel has been great to work with. He explained things for me when I couldn't get any info from my Kubota dealers. I've got new rims ordered..... so in short order, my little 245 should be back "on the road".
Got the Wheel rims from http://heywheel.com $99. ea is a much better price. They even knocked the little bolt locking nubs out of the holders to allow the bolts to expand to fit the center discs for me. There was a little hammer persuasion needed to fit the rims to the center disc, but no big deal. Very happy with my purchase. Our local farm supply store did not have any Kubota orange paint so I had to use the second choice, IH Red. Seems to compliment the faded Kubota orange nicely. :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Scott, glad to hear you got what you needed and had good results with those guys. They're down home, problem solving guys with a shop to work on any wheel.

I needed some airplane tire to put on 15" wheels for an 8ft brush mower. When I got over there I was able to purchase the airplane tires already mounted on wheels, painted off white enamel, with valve stem guards welded in place for like $60 (that was 10 years ago).

If you're over this way give me a PM, I'm located 5 mi. south of Paola.

sambo30

Equipment
L245DT
May 29, 2010
Clinton, MO
D2, what is special about airplane tires? I'm kinda curious if they would help in the demo derby cars that son #2 plays with.

IF I was ever to be over that way, I would certainly holler at you.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Airplane tires have 16-24 ply, depending on tire.

For a mower going over hedge and locust thorns it's a constant tire problem. With these heavy tires I don't even need air for a heavy 8ft. pull type mower. Thorns are no match!!!!