Hand Throttle Lever Stuck

Country Friends Farm

Equipment
Kubotoa L3010
Dec 16, 2014
Cordova, NC.
Just purchased a one owner, 1999 L3010 with 495 hours. Great tractor... barn kept and actually looks brand spanking new. The previous owner always used the foot throttle and says he never really remembers adjusting the hand throttle even once.

I try to move the lever and it feels really tight like it's jammed, but it does move slightly. I don't want to break anything in there and before I remove covers to look for obvious issues, I was wondering if anyone here knows of issues or if the lack of movement over it's life has caused it to become stuck and just needs to be worked so it can loosen up?

Any help will be great...

Thanks.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Those hand throttle levers are very hard to move normally, and with little use has probably gotten a little rusty or tight. Some tractors have a spring loaded adjustment, some are just a real tight collar in there. You can try a little penetrating oil but there is a chance it will get too loose, of course then you can just put a little brake or carb cleaner in there to remove the oil. Don't yank it because those have been known to break off, but try a little pen oil and see how it goes.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I've got the same machine with 1200 hrs on it and the hand throttle is still quite stiff. It moves much easier if you push the foot throttle down and then advance the hand lever. Try some good penetrating oil and just work it loose. Its a fairly solid assembly and not that likely to break unless you're a real heavy handed gorilla. If you want to play it safer and loosen the dash to expose it, that's not hard either.
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Country Friends Farm

Equipment
Kubotoa L3010
Dec 16, 2014
Cordova, NC.
Thanks, guys. I will not snatch on it, I do have to hold the rod (where it bends) with one hand and pull the handle with the other just to get it to move. It is just too tight to pull on and make it move. It acts like it wants to bend when I just pull on it...

Someone, another Kubota owner, told me, on the bottom of the lever where it bolts to the bracket underneath the dash, are two nuts, one to tighten the lever against a spring type adjustment apparatus and the second nut to lock the first nut in place. ???-Is there any truth to this?

I think I will remove dash to gain access to the linkage behind there to see if there is any noticeable and/or obvious problems. I think it's like you said, it's tight by design, and not using it at all in 500 hours just makes it, a, not broken in part.

The previous owner thought it was Hydrostatic, he said that he only use the foot pedal for his throttle and that's what you do with hydrostatic. He's not thinking, he had to put it into forward/reverse before the "foot pedal" would work. LOL I think he got in over his head when he bought an L3010 tractor just to pull a rotary finish mower just to cut two acres of grass. He now has a zero turn and that may also be out of his league.

Thanks, again for the help.

-Mike

Country Friends Farm

arijus

Equipment
Kubota B1750
Nov 9, 2014
Klaipeda, Lithuania
Hi,
I had similar experience with stuck hand throttle on my B1750. This one without foot throtle, so had to apply lots of spray -penetrating oil to make it free. However it become too loose soon after that..:) - did not hold the position and revs.
So ended up tightening those nuts at the end of assembly, as showed by N I Wolfman.

Country Friends Farm

Equipment
Kubotoa L3010
Dec 16, 2014
Cordova, NC.
Update:

I removed the cover just below the steering column, (three screws) and located behind it, was the bottom end of the throttle lever linkage rod. I loosened the two nuts and sprayed the entire joint with lithium grease and wiped off any extra that remained, as to not attract too much dirt. I put everything back to the spot in which it was, as close as I could. I worked the lever for about three minutes and it is smooth, but firm, and moves easily with one hand.

Thanks, to all that opined in this thread. A few minutes help from you guys was all I needed.

Mike

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
Country friend, thanks for posting the solution! BTW, you said the PO only used this tractor to mow with a finish mower...and he only used the foot throttle, never the hand throttle. Boy that must have been a pain in the neck! How do you maintain constant rpm's on the PTO with a foot throttle? (I feel a leg cramp coming on!)
;^)