B7300 won't start -- Newbie needs some help.

Cr555

Equipment
B7300 and B1750
Dec 14, 2014
enterprise, AL
Okay, I removed the fuel bowl, drained out all of the bad diesel, and bleed the line as suggested. Anyway, when I tried to start the engine, it cranked and seemed like it wanted to start . . . close but no cigar. I've decided to go ahead and take it to the dealer. Although it was recently fully serviced (according to the seller) I'd feel more comfortable if my local Kubota dealer (in Andalusia, Alabama) gave it a thorough check to make sure all maintenance is up-to-date and everything is "field ready." I still suspect that the starting problem is bad fuel, but don't feel I'm at the point where I can confidently take care of the problem myself -- I wasn't kidding when I said I was a newbie when it comes to tractor maintenance! Spent too much of my career working behind a desk (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers) . . . didn't get much wrench time. But, I'm placing an order for the workshop manual so that I can begin learning how to maintain everything myself (I retired recently and now have the time). Thanks, everyone, who offered advice. I'm sure I will be back with more questions in the future. I'll post a few photos when I have my B7300 up and running -- and I will confirm that the problem was bad fuel (however, the service manager I spoke to this morning said he wouldn't rule out bad glow plugs). I'm sooooo anxious to get behind the wheel and see what 16 horsepower will do! Mama's vegetable garden needs lots of TLC and this little Kabota should make life a lot easier! Also, special thanks to the OTT member who sent me a copy of the operator's manual for the B7300 -- it is going to be a BIG help -- now I can identify what those extra knobs and levers are suppose to do! Again, thanks to all -- I'm very grateful for the Orange Talks forum -- it is a tremendous resource, especially for folks like myself who are just starting out.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
When you drained the bad fuel and bled the injectors, did you bleed out just the air or did you bleed long enough to get all the bad fuel out of the system? You might still have just enough bad fuel to keep it from starting.

Cr555

Equipment
B7300 and B1750
Dec 14, 2014
enterprise, AL
Well, I took my B7300 to my dealer and asked him to determine why it wouldn't start. After getting it into his shop, he advised me he couldn't find anything wrong other than the battery was weak. He said the fuel system was okay -- the glass fuel filter bulb was simply stained (no gunk at the bottom even though it looked that way). So, I had a new battery installed and picked it up last Saturday. Next morning, it was about 50 degrees outside (in southern Alabama) and I had a devil of a time getting the B7300 started. Hit the glow plugs for about 10 - 15 seconds, then cranked and cranked for about 20 seconds. Didn't start. Had to repeat about 5 times before it finally turned over, then it warmed up and ran perfectly. Next day, tried to start it again and the same thing happened -- very tough to start, but once it started and warmed up it ran very well and never skipped a beat. I noted it is very EASY to start once it has warmed up. But, a cold start is very, very difficult. I'm a little disappointed with the dealer because I doubt the B7300 started easily for him, so I doubt he thorougly diagnosed the problem. I'm a newly retired "pencil pusher" so I have little experience with diesel engines. But, I'm inclined to think my problem may have something to do with the glow plugs. Any guidance how I could troublecheck this myself -- my dealer is 50 miles away. My neighbor's Kubota starts right away (after about 3 seconds), so I can't believe my B7300's behavior is normal.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
someone just posted about a intermittent glow plug switch,turning to stop and backing off a little and glow plugs work.just saying it may not be bad glow plugs,but a bad switch.a test light would help you there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Get the WSM it will walk you though all the glow plug system and testing procedure.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I know this is over a year old but was the starting issue ever resolved?

iateyourcat

Equipment
2014 L3301
Jun 2, 2016
Savannah, TN
I second that question.

I have an L3301 in a similar boat but won't start.

It went from running fine one week to not running at all the next week. I cleaned the float bowl and bought a fuel filter but never installed it.

The computer an a number of other things have been replaced. The dealer said literally 'we have done everything we know how to do'. It's been in the shop over 2 months, is at the second (larger) dealer location and now a third mechanic is coming from somewhere out of state to look at it.