What do I need to know to repower my tractor

retiredlawnboy

Equipment
M6800, L245DT, L245H, Gravely 816T with Cab and Wing Mower, 5665, 1960s Li
Nov 24, 2014
Danville, OH 43014
I happen to have a D1101 sitting beside the garage, waiting for a home. I realize it is halfway around the world but if you need a part or two or the whole engine, let me know. Anything to help keep these great tractors alive.

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
Hi Alexisferos - or Daren Todd. If someone can measure the length of the hood on an L1501 we might be able to confirm Alexisferos' theory. It certainly sounds reasonable, particularly if everything back from the engine is the same
Sorry friend i don't have it, i just have some pictures from here and there at the internet,
but i wanna buy it from here

Last edited:
Well, we might be onto something here. My hood is 1140mm long (or ~45 inches). It's only a 5-6 inch difference from an L1501, but that's probably enough for one extra 3 inch cylinder.

Doesn't look like there's much complicated about the front end attachment - looks kinda like 4-6 bolts and the steering linkage and the front wheels would fall right off.

Here's some photos of the engine to see if they spur any other thoughts in you wonderful people.

Attachments

retiredlawnboy - that's a very generous offer and I may take you up on it. In the next little while (not sure how long due to Xmas) I'll be pulling the engine to inspect the bottom end to find out if the broken crankshaft has damaged other things.

I will let you know how I get on.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I stumbled on this while running around, might be of help to the Grey/Gray gang of tractor owners.

http://www.best-used-tractors.com/manuals/Kubota_Manuals.htm
BE CAREFUL ! ! !

I ordered some "new" parts from them and when they arrived they were factory seconds and old/out dated stock.:eek::mad:

3 radiator hoses that cracked as soon as the engine heated up. (I had called expressing concern before I installed them)
2 rear rims - surface rust and pitting when they arrived.
2 rear tires - dates and other numbers ground off - weather cracked. (tried to attach photos but could not - will try again later)

It took me 3 mths and 10 days to get it straightened out.

I dealt with:

Best-Used-Tractors LLC
Jean McClain
Jean@best-used-tractors.com
1-(541)-747-9296

Last edited:

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
Well, we might be onto something here. My hood is 1140mm long (or ~45 inches). It's only a 5-6 inch difference from an L1501, but that's probably enough for one extra 3 inch cylinder.
Yeap you have an l2201 its the biggest brother of my tractor, they are the same and they share all the rear parts.

Doesn't look like there's much complicated about the front end attachment - looks kinda like 4-6 bolts and the steering linkage and the front wheels would fall right off.
Don't worry for nothing just start and unbolt everything... worry this tractors are well know for the simplicity and their reliability.

you can unbolt the oil pan and see what happens to your crankshaft..

Last edited:

retiredlawnboy

Equipment
M6800, L245DT, L245H, Gravely 816T with Cab and Wing Mower, 5665, 1960s Li
Nov 24, 2014
Danville, OH 43014
Good luck on the project! Dont spend too much time under the orange, save some time for the green (tree ofcourse)!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Shipping options recommended by a FedEx rep should the need arise to ship to Australia:

> All Shore Forwarders; their phone number is 1-800-689-2982 email address is customerservice@allshoreforwarders.com.

> Ship Smart; their phone number is 1-800-554-5574.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
OUCH! :eek:

That left a mark -or two. Any damage to the block or was it contained?

The block looks ok - but it looks like it's been on the way out for a while based on some of the wear. There is a lot of metal shavings all through the block.

Which means that not only is the crankshaft busted, and the conrod bushings destroyed, but the cylinders, rings, pistons and crankshaft main bearings are all very suspect.

Which almost certainly means that I'll be better off replacing the engine rather than trying to recondition this one.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I think you would be money AND time ahead doing that.

Any luck sourcing one nearby? I shudder to think what Kubota would want but does Kubota even offer replacement engines?

Tractors are funny beasts. They rarely die in fiery crashes at intersections or in multi-tractor pile-ups on the freeway like cars do. Most spend their lives chugging away and they simply wear out. Or, like yours, they self-destruct. There is no junkyard where the Kubota body parts are mangled but the motor is like new.

Any ideas?