Dealer Damaged Wheels

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
At the end of the day, the slogans and pretty wrapping of text on a website means diddly-spit.

Where the rubber meets the road (or dirt in this case) is what is important and the dealer isn't cutting it.

Their techs messed up. Good customer service would be to first: own up to the mistake. Second: make it right no matter the cost.

It's one thing for a customer to come in and say "Hey, my tractor blew up on me in the middle of my field..." (Never mind they were working it too hard and incorrectly) and the dealer ferrets out the customer had been abusing the machine and calls the customer on it. They can negotiate the level of responsibility for the problem.

It's entirely different when a customer brings in a working unit to have the tires removed so the customer can restore the rims, and get those rims back with major damage. That's just improper handling of the dismount process. You own it, you set your tech straight or fire them if it's multiple times they've screwed up, and you pay the price to your customer and get the new rims. I'd even toss in a free lube change next time around to make up for the lost time and energy the customer suffered. I'll make my money back from that customer eventually and that tractor will be back in my shop regularly, I could guarantee it.

Clearly, this dealer doesn't know how to do good business and is a shoe string affair, or isn't interested in small customers, and if that's the case, they should be 'corporate' only and say so.

I'd post my complaints and this thread to Kubota and ask them to review that dealers license as it reflects poorly on the brand.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Here is an update with my issue and it's time to name names:

Columbia Tractor, Inc. Hudson, New York. A vist to their website http://www.columbiatractor.com/

displays this: Columbia Tractor, Inc
"Your Satisfaction is Our Pleasure"

Well folks, I am not satisfied, I have given Columbia more than enough time to get their act together and here is what happened today.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014. As, I did not hear back from Greg, Service Manager, on Friday, as promised, I contacted him mid-day on Tuesday and asked him about the rims. He said "just this morning he had just spoken with Stu, the Owner of Columbia Tractor, Inc. and Stu asked him to put together a quote for me for (4) new rims". I then asked so what is the quote, he said he was still working on it. I then asked Greg what my bill was so far to remove the calcium chloride and dismount the tires, Greg could not tell me as there were hours charged to my job looking for used rims. I said I am not going to pay for looking for rims to replace the rims Columbia Tractor damaged. Greg responded "that is why he could not give me a total. I reminded Greg, I have spent over $7000 for parts and service at Columbia Tractor in the last year (revised total from earlier post). His response was that they have customers that spend millions. (Can you believe this response I couldn't). I then asked Greg to finish the quote and call me before the end of the day. He said he would, I did not hear from him as usual.

FYI, I am keeping very good notes from day one as this issue will most likely end up in small claims court.
I would stop waiting for the service manager to talk to you and call you. I would contact the owner yourself and deal with him. Most likely, the service manager is only covering his a** at this point and not giving you a straight answer.

peterp

Equipment
L4330, B9200, Harley Rake, York Rake, BH90, BB60, Grapple, Timberwolf 3pt Split.
Oct 27, 2014
West Stockbridge MA
I would stop waiting for the service manager to talk to you and call you. I would contact the owner yourself and deal with him. Most likely, the service manager is only covering his a** at this point and not giving you a straight answer.
Hello

Drove over yesterday morning and spoke to the owner, the service manager was not there. I explained what happened. They are going to order (4) new rims for stock, (to avoid dealer shipping charges) and when they come in, his words, then we can "fight it out". Won't be much of a fight on my end.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Hello

Drove over yesterday morning and spoke to the owner, the service manager was not there. I explained what happened. They are going to order (4) new rims for stock, (to avoid dealer shipping charges) and when they come in, his words, then we can "fight it out". Won't be much of a fight on my end.

Thanks for everyone's responses.
It's awful that a business would even say something like that to a loyal customer. I shouldn't have expressed violence in my last post, it's not good idea and would not help in this situation even verbally. I never have but the thought has crossed my mind in a few situations :D.

Did you sign any type of contract to perform work that would wave the liability of any extra damages that may occur? If you signed anything read the fine print to be sure who is responsible for what and when. Hopefully you didn't sign anything like that so you have the advantage. An honest shop would at least give you their price discount on parts and wave the labor for replacement....Nobody is perfect, accidents happen, but someone has to own up to it especially if they ever want your business again.

I think everyone agrees it's their poor craftsmanship that caused all of this BS. I've never changed a tire bigger than a bicycle but I understand that it is a difficult and quite often a dangerous job to do. I would think there would be a way to protect the rim from being damaged if one took 5 minutes to attach something to it for protection from a blow of a sledge hammer. Something simple like some string, a tire the size of the rim, plywood, the possibilities are endless.... I think anyone creative could come up with something, I call that cheap insurance. There is definitely people out there that do it on the regular with their eyes closed, and clearly this place doesn't have the talent they claim to have. I would point out their poor craftsmanship and lack of effort to prevent the damage in the first place when your "fighting it out" with those donkeys. Just my thoughts, good luck!

Last edited:

peterp

Equipment
L4330, B9200, Harley Rake, York Rake, BH90, BB60, Grapple, Timberwolf 3pt Split.
Oct 27, 2014
West Stockbridge MA
It's awful that a business would even say something like that to a loyal customer. I shouldn't have expressed violence in my last post, it's not good idea and would not help in this situation even verbally. I never have but the thought has crossed my mind in a few situations :D.

I have to admit that I was really mad but have kept it very civil and intend to do so. In the overall scheme of things, this is peanuts, at least that is what I keep telling myself. As a former field service engineer, parts and service manager, owner of an international company responsible for the sale, supply of parts and service of large converting equipment to the pulp and paper industry I understand and appreicate all the forces at play here. (Chance are the 8 1/2" x 11" copy paper you come in contact with today was produced on equipment I either sold or serviced at one time or another.) Either they step up to the plate or I will pick up my marbles and go find a game elsewhere. I called another (large) Kubota dealer, where I purchased my L4330, and asked them if they could give me a quote on the work as described above and the first thing the Service Manager said was "that they are really not in the tire business so the best he could do would estimate how long it would take at their normal shop rate" perfect professional response.

Did you sign any type of contract to perform work that would wave the liability of any extra damages that may occur?

No, The service manager typed up the instructions while I stood by, he read them back to me. I did not sign anything nor do I have a copy of the work order. Basically it stated that they were to dispose of the calcium chloride, dismount the tires, customer will pick up and refurbish the rims and return, supply new tubes, re-mount and fill the rears with Rimguard. I had already ordered new tubes from their parts department.

I've never changed a tire bigger than a bicycle but I understand that it is a difficult and quite often a dangerous job to do.

In this case, I do not believe it would be too difficult or dangerous to dismount the tires, using the correct tools and procedures. The danger comes from re-inflation. The front rims are two piece, bolted together, 12" rims (24x8.5-12). The rears are one piece 16" rims. I think these could have been dismounted at any tire shop, the problem was disposal of the calcium chloride, while it is not hazardous to the environment, it is highly corrosive. I was willing to pay them to do the entire job just to have them either dispose of or re-use the CC.

I do not expect to hear anything for the next week or so until they inform me that the new rims have arrived. Then I intend to drive over and have them tell me face to face what their position is. I will listen politely to what they have to say and if un-acceptable, I will re-state my position, settle my account pick up my damaged rims and tires then take all my business elsewhere. Unfortunatly they seem to have the thinking that customers are like sharks teeth, when one falls out, their will be others right behind to take its place. Until this is resolved my poor little tractor looks naked without its shoes.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Unfortunatly they seem to have the thinking that customers are like sharks teeth, when one falls out, their will be others right behind to take its place.
For a minute there, I thought you must live in the Phoenix area.
Any dealer should be able to mount & dismount tires for the vehicles they sell, and if they lacked the proper equipment to do so, they should have sent you elsewhere. Hell, even Discount Tire tubed the tires on mine with no problem.
I hope they step up & do the right thing & replace them.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
....Did you sign any type of contract to perform work that would wave the liability of any extra damages that may occur? ....
No, The service manager typed up the instructions while I stood by, he read them back to me. I did not sign anything nor do I have a copy of the work order. .....
Reading aloud to you is a verbal agreement.... and is legally binding. This is why he made sure to read it back to you.

Last edited:

Bmodel7610

Equipment
B7610, loader, mmm
Mar 28, 2013
Hudson, NY
I usually don't offer much on this forum, but I feel I must chime in here... I live in the same town as Columbia Tractor and feel I know the group somewhat. I bought a used B7610 from them about 2 years ago and have been treated well. I have not had to have service to the machine, but I have dealt with the parts group. When I changed my hydraulic oil this past summer, I was told by one of the parts guys that there was only one filter on the unit and that I would need 3 gallons of SUDT to re-fill. I changed the filter and added the fluid, only to have the filter leak all over the floor. When I went back to the parts dept with the old filter to see what was up, they told me that they gave me the wrong filter..... He promptly gave me the correct filter an another two gallons of oil - no charge. Now I know this doesn't compare to the OP's story, but from my point of view, they met me more than half way. Hope it works out for you...

Frank

peterp

Equipment
Oct 27, 2014
West Stockbridge MA
I usually don't offer much on this forum, but I feel I must chime in here... I live in the same town as Columbia Tractor and feel I know the group somewhat. I bought a used B7610 from them about 2 years ago and have been treated well. I have not had to have service to the machine, but I have dealt with the parts group. When I changed my hydraulic oil this past summer, I was told by one of the parts guys that there was only one filter on the unit and that I would need 3 gallons of SUDT to re-fill. I changed the filter and added the fluid, only to have the filter leak all over the floor. When I went back to the parts dept. with the old filter to see what was up, they told me that they gave me the wrong filter..... He promptly gave me the correct filter an another two gallons of oil - no charge. Now I know this doesn't compare to the OP's story, but from my point of view, they met me more than half way. Hope it works out for you...

Frank
Thanks for your comments Frank that has been my experience as well. As noted above, I have done a fair amount of business with their parts department. I have been a customer since 1999. I know all three of them and they know me. M, R & R are very helpful (especially R & R). They are very good at their jobs. Up until this problem with my rims, Columbia tractor has been my "go to" source for all things Kubota. Parts not in stock are ordered and delivered promptly. The only other problem I ever had was last fall, when my L4330 was in for a major repair (I broke an 3pt ear off the brake housing casting). While it was there, I ask them to replace all 6 "o-rings" on my remotes as a couple were weeping. They did and 3 of the replaced o-rings blew out shortly after I used them. I ordered new o-rings through the parts department. I insisted on Kubota o-rings even though M argued that all ag remotes use the same o-rings. I explained what had happened and did not want to take a chance that their stock was not correct or whatever. I then went to say hello to the Service Manger and mentioned the issue just as an FYI. I did not complain or expect a refund but I suspect that he credited my account without my knowledge. When I went to pick up the o-rings, they gave me a cash refund and 2 extra o-rings. I questioned the refund but R just said that's what the computer says. I replaced them, no problems since. I did not want or expect a credit as I used the QD's 3 or 4 times over a couple of days and could not rule out that I had damaged the o-rings plugging and un-plugging my QD's. Another example was, just recently, I installed a remote valve on my B9200, I had a question regarding the hydraulic logic and the Service Manager introduced me to their hydraulic tech who confirmed that my understanding of the hydraulic circuit was correct. Columbia Tractor is not all bad. My complaint now is simple, the solution not so: They damaged my components and up to this point have they have been unresponsive, not calling me back as they stated they would and then not retuning my phone calls and I still have not been informed of what their position is regarding the damaged rims even after speaking directly with the owner.

peterp

Equipment
Oct 27, 2014
West Stockbridge MA
Reading aloud to you is a verbal agreement.... and is legally binding. This is why he made sure to read it back to you.
Legally binding in the notion that I Contracted with Columbia Tractor to perform a service and would be responsible for paying for the service as described is fine and acceptable to me. At no time in the reading back to me did he state "the rims could be damaged beyond repair conducting this service and I would be responsible for any loss" or any words even remotely indicating that.

peterp

Equipment
Oct 27, 2014
West Stockbridge MA
I have not heard a word from Columbia tractor as to whether the new rims arrived and what their position is. I will contact them in the morning for an update.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
This sounds like the typical,, Ignore this azzhat and maybe he will go away,, Don't go away be like that itch they cant scratch !!!

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I agree with skeets. If I were you I would be in contact with the better business bureau www.bbb.org and file a complaint at this point. It has been weeks if I'm not mistaken.... You have been more than polite and understanding with them.... Personally, I'm not afraid to play hard ball with a donkey like that and would probably put a call into the police department and ask if a vandalism charge can be served on them...a phone call from them may light a match under their backside. I don't know how much your rims cost but I'm guessing they aren't inexpensive... I remember you saying you had other equipment and maybe retired?? I couldn't imagine what a person would do if they needed their tractor to make a living :eek: Also, file a complaint with Kubota customer service. Don't let them push you away either because that is what they will try to do. Express to them that you are a loyal customer and love your tractor. Don't get mad at them and say you will never buy a kubota again, they won't care one bit, kill them with kindness and call them every day. I wish you the best of luck sir.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Kubota Customer Care: 310-370-3370 -ask for the hotline.

peterp

Equipment
Oct 27, 2014
West Stockbridge MA
Thanks for all the responses. Here is the latest. I called Columbia Tractor yesterday morning and spoke to the Service Manager. I asked him if he knew the status of the (4) new rims. He said they arrived late the day before. I told him I had the new tubes and would drive over and drop them off so they could mount my tires. I met with him and asked what the resolution was regarding the cost of the new rims. We had a brief discussion and as per my previous offer, I agreed to pay half the cost of the new rims which was acceptable him.

Some may ask the logic in my willingness to pay half the cost of the new rims, as the dealer caused the damage to my rims and should be held accountable. If things had gone as originally planned, I would have had the time and expense of media blasting, possibly rebuilding and painting the rims. The original front rims were two piece which were prone to splitting (Kubota has since replaced them with one piece rims). I would still would have 25 year old rims. I also did not want them to replace my original rims with used rims if they could find any. So at the end of the day I am getting a better product than what I dropped off and therefore, I am not opposed to sharing the cost. I also want to continue doing business with Columbia Tractor as my blood still runs orange:). At this point I am satisfied with the outcome.
Once again, I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my posts. I will post some pictures of my tractor when it is all back together.
In the meantime, I wish all a safe and happy holiday season.
Best regards,
PeterP

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Peterp:
As long as you are satisfied with the final out come, that is all that really matters. :)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
A sensible, equitable approach. Glad you got it resolved to your satisfaction.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I'm happy to hear you were able to work it out with them. Kuttos to them for working with a good customer and coming to a fair agreement. With today's economy every customer counts, it doesn't matter how "little" they are or how much money they spend. I'm glad to hear they are smart enough to realize that.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Thanks for all the responses. Here is the latest. I called Columbia Tractor yesterday morning and spoke to the Service Manager. I asked him if he knew the status of the (4) new rims. He said they arrived late the day before. I told him I had the new tubes and would drive over and drop them off so they could mount my tires. I met with him and asked what the resolution was regarding the cost of the new rims. We had a brief discussion and as per my previous offer, I agreed to pay half the cost of the new rims which was acceptable him.

Some may ask the logic in my willingness to pay half the cost of the new rims, as the dealer caused the damage to my rims and should be held accountable. If things had gone as originally planned, I would have had the time and expense of media blasting, possibly rebuilding and painting the rims. The original front rims were two piece which were prone to splitting (Kubota has since replaced them with one piece rims). I would still would have 25 year old rims. I also did not want them to replace my original rims with used rims if they could find any. So at the end of the day I am getting a better product than what I dropped off and therefore, I am not opposed to sharing the cost. I also want to continue doing business with Columbia Tractor as my blood still runs orange:). At this point I am satisfied with the outcome.
Once again, I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my posts. I will post some pictures of my tractor when it is all back together.
In the meantime, I wish all a safe and happy holiday season.
Best regards,
PeterP
I affirm your resolution. Even with the trouble that it has been, you have received more than your money's worth, and most importantly, you salvaged a relationship.