hydraulic lift failure

David Burger

Equipment
L 245
Oct 27, 2014
Englewood, TN 37329
I've owned my L245 a few years and overall has been a dependable tractor. It's only use is maintaining church property via grader blade, finish mowing and snaking downed trees from the woods. My problem is just suddenly this weekend the hydraulic lift just quit period. Fluid level was fine but since the fluid was peanut colored and bubbly, I changed the entire 5 plus gallons to no effect. I have checked the 2 areas noted in your column for clogged filters but I guess the previous owner removed those screens. Hour meter shows 2,022. I hope someone can help me. The local Kubota dealer here in Athens TN would just LOVE to service it with my $$. Thank you. David B.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Check the obvious first - there is a knob under the seat, between your knees if you are sitting on the tractor. Turn it all the way to "fast" and see if that helps. It only effects the down travel so if it moves up but not down then this is probably the problem.

If it is down and won't go up - start checking the little rod that gives feed back to the system. It is up high under the seat, at the rear of the tractor. Connects the short upper arm (lift arm) to some other point (can't recall exactly) and if it is loose or missing you would have problems. Search about "adjusting for hydraulic squeal" or similar posts.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I've owned my L245 a few years and overall has been a dependable tractor. It's only use is maintaining church property via grader blade, finish mowing and snaking downed trees from the woods. My problem is just suddenly this weekend the hydraulic lift just quit period. Fluid level was fine but since the fluid was peanut colored and bubbly, I changed the entire 5 plus gallons to no effect. I have checked the 2 areas noted in your column for clogged filters but I guess the previous owner removed those screens. Hour meter shows 2,022. I hope someone can help me. The local Kubota dealer here in Athens TN would just LOVE to service it with my $$. Thank you. David B.
Have you checked the filter(s)??

David Burger

Equipment
L 245
Oct 27, 2014
Englewood, TN 37329
Russel...Thank you for the counsel. The hyd. lift arms are all the way down near the ground. Yes, I saw that small lever. It is connected to the upper part of the lift arm and then to a shaft end coming from under the tractor casing under the seat. Parts lists shows it to interact with the lift hand lever on rt. side of the tractor. Today, I plan to visit the Kubota dealer and inquire what their thoughts might be on the subject but not yet commit to a service call. I just don't understand why it just up and quit! Things like this perplexes this old geezer. David B.

Last edited:

David Burger

Equipment
L 245
Oct 27, 2014
Englewood, TN 37329
Today I chatted with Serv Mgr at the dealership. He suggested loosening the small hyd tube at base of seat and bumping the starter. Yep, lots of fluid squirts out. He said this usually means hyd pump is okay. Turning the little knob at base of seat d/n help. Rechecked too that there are definitely no screens filters on rt or left side. Serv man suggested the valves bolted to bottom side of top portion of diffen. chunk may be clogged. That looks like one heavy chunk of metal with lots of bolts securing it. I'll see how it goes.
David B.

cb750k8

Equipment
B7200HST D 4X4
Aug 23, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
David
Dont know your tractor but all hydraulic systems have a safety relief. The relief comprises of a spring, ball or cone and sometimes a shim and retaining screw.

My tractor had your symptoms and turned out it was a broken shim.

You need to find this relief (look in the manual) and check it out before going to the $$$$ service man.

Cheers

David Burger

Equipment
L 245
Oct 27, 2014
Englewood, TN 37329
Thank you CB for your interests in my delima. I did remove that big chunk/upper portion of the housing, took things apart and cleaned passages with carb. cleaner including the housing with the small knob on it for speed of raising/lowering. That too seemed okay. Since it's raining today here in East Tenn., I'll remove all those valves on the left side of the chunk and see if I can find that relief valve you spoke of. Thank you for your suggestions.
David B.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
since you are getting into the system, there is a large piston that drives the 3 point up. There is an o-ring or two around the piston to seal the hydraulic pressure.

Look into that area to see if the piston and O-rings are OK.

it is in the housing with the knob on it that you may have not removed yet.

There should be a screen on the LH side of the transmission. It will look like a cover that has a bump with two bolts. (It is opposite where the tube going to the hydraulic pump attaches to the transmission case on the right side).

If you remove it, it will drain the transmission. If you really don't have one, I would get it and the spring and the o-ring and install it (assuming you have to drain the transmission for some reason).

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I'm not 100% because my manual is a crappy photocopy version, but I think the relief valve may be on the top of the housing, looks like a plug going down vertically, left of center if you're sitting on the seat. Near where the high pressure line comes up and over the housing, in front of the drop speed valve knob.

David Burger

Equipment
L 245
Oct 27, 2014
Englewood, TN 37329
Well, I gave up and will have to just bite the bullet. My Kubota is presently in the dealership's garage being troubleshooted and hopefully repaired very soon. Will advise what the problem was.........David B.

David Burger

Equipment
L 245
Oct 27, 2014
Englewood, TN 37329
Well, since I was stumped and could not figure out why the lift just up and quit, I gave up and drove it to the local Kubota dealership 4 weeks ago. It is in the dry and gets worked on as mechanics time allows. They are concentrating on that valve mechanism located under the seat chunk. The hand lift lever attaches to this valve ass'y. They did say the pump had plenty of pressure and volume. I'll go back next week to check on things unless the dealership calls first. I miss my Kubota even during this cold weather in East Tenn............DB

David Burger

Equipment
L 245
Oct 27, 2014
Englewood, TN 37329
Well folks, as of today 12-8-14, my Kubota dealership still has not repaired my 3 pt lift nor after being in their shop for many weeks, they just don't know whats wrong. Does anyone know of a contact person at Kubota HQ here in the states or an e-mail address at Kubota so I can contact them, begging and pleading for their assistance so they can work with the dealer directly? I need my tractor even in cold weather! I'm beginning to consider donating this L245 to this dealer and call it even...then go buy a tractor that does not begin with letter K.
Help? David B.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
There's not much sorcery to the 3 point system. I'm surprised the dealership is having issues with it. If the passages are clear, the piston moves with no damage to the cylinder wall or piston, the o-ring and such is good, then it should work.

I think this is a bad valve or sticky piston issue. Those are common problems and easy to test for so I have no idea what is up with that dealership.

Personally, I wouldn't blame you for not going with another Kubota, but keep in mind, this may be a dealership issue and have nothing to do with the manufacturer. You might consider taking it to an independent mechanic and have them look it over.

David Burger

Equipment
L 245
Oct 27, 2014
Englewood, TN 37329
Thank you very much for replying. I've jotted down your comments and will share them with the serv mgr tomorrow. Will make a few calls to salvage places too for availability and pricing on the complete used upper chunk with all those valves on the side and underneath. Serv man says it's taking longer to diagnose cause he d/n have a similar parts tractor to rob peter pay paul with. Serv mgr has not removed upper chunk yet in efforts, just pressure checks and stuff on external things. Will Santa have it done for Christmas or will a different branded diesel be under the tree? David B

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First: David, your dealing with a tractor that is using 40 year old technology, not very fair to it to say "I'm beginning to consider donating this L245 to this dealer and call it even...then go buy a tractor that does not begin with letter K", It's a bad dealer not a bad tractor!

I can't believe they have had it for that length of time and they haven't even taken it apart??? Most of the parts that matter to that system are on the inside!

Sorry If any of you out there reading are dealers, or dealership mechanics.
Most Dealer mechanics are paint by number mechanics, they don't know how to trouble shoot a problem that the book or the computer can't tell them how to do it! and others don't know their head from a hole in the ground!

There is no money in it for the dealer to "train" a mechanic on how to work on a $2000 tractor, the real money is in the $30,000 + tractors. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Tried this site, it's not free for me............am I doing something wrong?
After registering it says I entered the wrong code.
Just tried that link. It's a spam site. Had about 6 other links open up when I clicked on it. I wouldn't trust it

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
There is no money in it for the dealer to "train" a mechanic on how to work on a $2000 tractor, the real money is in the $30,000 + tractors. ;)
Normally I'm with NIWolfman 100% but on this topic I'll have to differ. To me it *IS* fair to hold a dealer with a certification on repair of a given make to know that makes units, 40 years or 100 years old. I have two hunks of old iron I work on, Allis-Chalmers and Oliver and I could take either back to a dealership that now holds their certificates and those mechanics would be able to fix it. The older the unit is, the more likely it was designed for field repair and the easier to fix.

We are so spoiled today with trucks aplenty that can haul these heavy beasts around. Some of those older tractors never left the farms the trucks delivered them to, and that is how they were built, so the farmer could fix them.

Again, no sorcery here. Why would I trust my shiny new $100,000 high tech tractor to a mechanic that can't fix an antique with systems that were simpler? If I were a dealer, to a potential new mechanic I'd point to an old hunk of junk in the corner and say "That needs it's engine rebuilt, do it and diagnose any other running problems, you have 2 days". I'd keep changing whatever needed fixed on that hunk of junk, but in 2 days I'd know if they knew the basics and how they handled their tools, their skills, etc. Nice thing is, after going through a few new applicants, it would be a nice restored tractor I could keep or sell for $$$. :D

Old iron is the baseline forge that a mechanic should be aware of, even a newbie with a shiny new mechanic certification. If you can't fix that, you were asleep in mechanics school, modern stuff evolved out of the older stuff.

To modernize the idea, I am a fully certified PC technician, college educated and have been in the industry for decades. I deal with newbies all the time. They come to me with their shiny certs in hand saying "I know it all" and I point them to an old computer and say "Video is down on that machine, fix it." If they were awake in class, and have two brain cells to rub together, they can get it fixed. If they give up or aren't very bright, I know I don't want them working with me as they'd be a waste of my time and money to employ.

There's no excuse for not being able to work on an older unit. What is possible is that the older unit may not be worth the repairs needed to get it running, and that is the customers call, not the dealers.

Sorry for the wall of text, but it's kind of a sore spot for me to make excuses for poor quality technicians. I'm not saying NIWolfman is, but I set the bar high for dealerships, they are required to stay on top of the new and the old in my book, that's why they can charge more for their services than the independent mechanic, at least to me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm not saying NIWolfman is, but I set the bar high for dealerships, they are required to stay on top of the new and the old in my book, that's why they can charge more for their services than the independent mechanic, at least to me.
I think you missed my point, or (and most likely) I didn't bring it across well. ;)
I think it's sad that most dealership mechanics can't work on older equipment!:(
And I meant that most dealers see no profit for them to work on older equipment, there for, they don't train or care if there mechanics can work on older equipment. (Boo on them) :mad: