Kubota Grill Guard Clearance

bigfoot9

Equipment
M105s tractor
Aug 2, 2014
Flatonia, Texas
I have a 2003 Kubota 105M four wheel drive tractor with front end loader. About a week ago, I tried to open the tractor hood and it would not fully open because the clearance between the guard and the hood was too tight. The clearance has always been minimal; but, it has always opened before. Of course on first thought one would think that the tractor grill guard had been pushed in causing the problem; but, visually, nothing has moved and I put a level on it and it was plumb, plus the guard is permanently attached to the tractor/loader frame with three bolts on each side. Finally loosened the bolts to see if there was play there; but, that didn't help either. Called two different Kubota dealers and talked to the service guys and all they could say is that, yes this happens quite a bit on these tractors.

Short of taking the guard off and welding a spacer in the guard to get it further away from the hood, does anyone have any input.

Thanks

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a 2003 Kubota 105M four wheel drive tractor with front end loader. About a week ago, I tried to open the tractor hood and it would not fully open because the clearance between the guard and the hood was too tight. The clearance has always been minimal; but, it has always opened before. Of course on first thought one would think that the tractor grill guard had been pushed in causing the problem; but, visually, nothing has moved and I put a level on it and it was plumb, plus the guard is permanently attached to the tractor/loader frame with three bolts on each side. Finally loosened the bolts to see if there was play there; but, that didn't help either. Called two different Kubota dealers and talked to the service guys and all they could say is that, yes this happens quite a bit on these tractors.

Short of taking the guard off and welding a spacer in the guard to get it further away from the hood, does anyone have any input.

Thanks
IF IT opened before and now it will not ......something had to move! :)

SO ....gotsta find out what moved ......

Does that hood flip forward toward the cab? Or like a BX fold towards the grill guard???

Can you shoot us some pictures of the bind points?

bigfoot9

Equipment
M105s tractor
Aug 2, 2014
Flatonia, Texas

Does that hood flip forward toward the cab? Or like a BX fold towards the grill guard???

Thomas:
First, I am new to this site and I'm not sure what I'm doing as far as posting; but, I will give it a try tomorrow. I will take a picture and see if I can figure out how to attach the picture.
Second: You are absolutely correct that something has to have moved; but, the grill lifts up from the front and doesn't seem to have moved at all; however, it has always been a close fit. The grill is fixed and it doesn't look like it has moved.

djm1204

Equipment
L4600 HST, FEL, Root Rake, Land Pride Grapple, Two way radio
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
on the newer tractors - L4600 there is one pin/bolt/latch whatever one wants to call it - as you stand in front of the tractor, facing it, on the left side of the grill guard there is a spring loaded pin that you pull out and allows the grill guard to pivot forward a few inches to allow the hood to open.

I have no idea about your tractor - if this is useful great - if not just disregard it.

Keep us posted how you make out

Dan

bigfoot9

Equipment
M105s tractor
Aug 2, 2014
Flatonia, Texas

I agree that something has moved; but, there is no levers or pins that allow the grill guard to swing forward. It is fixed to the frame of the loader which is fixed to the Tractor Frame.

I believe I have found out how to attach a picture so here goes.

Picture #1 is the fixed attachment of the grill guard
Picture #2 is the hood clearance with the grill guard.

Thanks guys. Obviously something has moved but all the bolts are extremely tight on the loader frame as well as the grill guard, plus the loosened all the grill bolts to see if I could gain some clearance but no luck. It seems to be well attached and seems to be working as designed. I also .

Attachments

bigfoot9

Equipment
M105s tractor
Aug 2, 2014
Flatonia, Texas

I agree that something has moved; but, there is no levers or pins that allow the grill guard to swing forward. It is fixed to the frame of the loader which is fixed to the Tractor Frame.

I believe I have found out how to attach a picture so here goes.

Picture #1 is the fixed attachment of the grill guard
Picture #2 is the hood clearance with the grill guard.

Thanks guys. Obviously something has moved but all the bolts are extremely tight on the loader frame as well as the grill guard, plus the loosened all the grill bolts to see if I could gain some clearance but no luck. It seems to be well attached and seems to be working as designed. I also .
Evidently I didn't attach the correct hood clearance picture. So if I have figured out this software, I will attach two more pictures.

Attachments

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
I'd be checking around the hinge assembly of the hood. Check to see if upon close investigation if there are any signs of movement. Next I would see if backing off the fasteners a little and see if there is any sloop in the mount. With constant vibration, a fastener just slightly loose can elongate the holes they are in and can surprisingly change alignment.

Ron

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I look at you first picture and see the three bolts holding the guard into the channel shaped metal. I'd say loosen those three bolts on each side, reposition the guard in the "groove" the re-tighten the bolts. Your guard in out of position, and moved too far back.

bigfoot9

Equipment
M105s tractor
Aug 2, 2014
Flatonia, Texas
I look at you first picture and see the three bolts holding the guard into the channel shaped metal. I'd say loosen those three bolts on each side, reposition the guard in the "groove" the re-tighten the bolts. Your guard in out of position, and moved too far back.
Guys:

First off, I don't know why the picture orientation is different here that the copy on my computer; but, I guess you guys figured a way around poor orientation. Anyway, I loosened and actually pulled the nuts off the guard anchor points. Didn't help much. One thing I haven't done is pull the guard all the way off and open up the hood and give it a good look see. Before I did that I was actually trying to see if anyone that frequents this blog had ever had a similar experience. Since the local Kubota dealer shop people said it does happen quite frequently, I just wanted to really know why or what has taken place. One mechanic suggestion was to remove the bolts and put a washer on the inside between the frame and the guard. That should push the guard out ever so slightly which might be just enough. I will try that tomorrow and see if that helps and if it doesn't I will take it totally off and open the hood and see if anything has changed there; although the dealership said that was very unlikely. Anyway, back to testing mode.

Thanks again!