B2100 starting clicks many times before starting.

ykw54

Equipment
kubota B2100 hsd
Dec 14, 2014
USA
Hello to all . I was hasty in passing on my findings and someone replied to me about posting in the wrong area where it gets little reading. Okay , hopefully this time it will be different.

The issue revolving the kubota B2100 starter clicks is a relatively simple problem , yet I have seen months of exchanges on various posts all over the net , people with good intention steering others in the wrong direction .This post will be worded differently than my previous which I could not successfully copy and paste here .

I am an instrumentation engineer , I design circuitry that employs both ac. and dc controls .
A wiring diagram of the B2100 tractor is the first must have , in it, one can see the problem immediately , it is an over used IGNITION SWITCH , since there is no intermediate relay between the start contacts of the ignition switch and the positive post of the starter relay known to many as the "solenoid" ( "a trade name ") .Over the years and too many start stops , arcing occurs that over the years build up resistance and only allow 8 to 9 volts at the "solenoid" which only partially engages ..the clicks which the orange lovers hear is only the partial engagement not the full it must have in order to allow voltage to the starter motor brushes.
With repeated attempts to start the engine , the additional arcing and the amperage heating which occurs at the ignition start contacts will get rid of just enough oxidation to allow full voltage to reach the starter motor and magic ! IT STARTS then starts okay all day until next day or next week.
Obviously a decent battery , clean terminals , positive cable and negative cables free of corrosion should be high on the routine maintenance list. Another is the charging system , a properly tensioned drive belt and a dynamo that puts out 14 plus volts dc after it is rectified from out of the rectifier, which is located under the instrument cluster practically under the tach.

Other very important items are the chassis grounds , The B2100 has three , the battery cable , the ground grouping located on the engine aft of the injection pump, the ground grouping under the seat.

I strongly recommend to all to buy a spray can of Detox electrical contact cleaner . The replacement ignition switch will get the job done by itself but while you have the tractor down it does a lot of good to separate and detox each molex plug [ all of them ] each engine sending unit lug and spade connector , in other words every electrical connection , I did it in under two hours..the starter is the original 1997 mitsu and it is strong enough to flip the tractor over.

So, get a service manual , electrical diagram is a must.
Replace the offending IGNITION SWITCH, service the rest of the electrical system anyway irrespective of the fact that your tractor now starts fine , it is worth doing .

Now that you are done , at your earliest convenience invite a friend over for a favorite brand of beer or other beverage , start a nice backyard fire and toss the offending old switch in the fire ..be sure the fire is hot enough to smelt iron ore and enjoy the show, it may make up for all of the aggravation it has caused you , I had fun melting my old switch , I am no longer upset !!!

Have fun , happy starts to you all . :)

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
ykw,

Glad you found your problem!

Just a heads-up for those just starting troubleshooting on HST models for clacking starters... Check the "lawyer switches" on your HST pedal.

If your HST pedal is not centering itself, one of the two position sensor switches (FWD or REV) may be activated enough to get you clattering instead of a nice healthy start. If they are fully engaged, you will hear silence.

My dealer backed my switches off so that the pedal has a little more freedom. Also check your pedal for freedom of movement. Some pivot off the transmission case and others (like mine) have a support bracket that can collect dust and dirt and retard the movement back to center. You can test whether or not this is your issue simply by rocking the pedal to center and trying another start. If that yields a healthy start, you know where to focus your attention.

Happy Hauling!

KauaiJohn

Equipment
B3030HST
Apr 25, 2011
Kalaheo HI
There are several excellent posts on this problem, the constant clicking of the starter solenoid when trying to start your tractor. In my case it is a B3030.
Sadly, I tried to follow all the instructions and ended up wasting a lot of time -- my fault, not that of those who tried to offer help.

But, the Very First Thing you should do when you have electrical problems starting your tractor is find a set up jumper cables. If your tractor starts using jumper cables, buy a new battery.

I didn't try the jumper cables right away and had my tractor practically in pieces. So, no, this step wasn't at all obvious. But then maybe I think too much.

Last edited:

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
This issue has been rearing its ugly head for many years in many different models. If the tractor turns over normally when 12v is applied to the starter solenoid, the problem is almost certainly in the circuit leading from the battery, thru the ignition switch, and a string of safety switches, to the solenoid. One of these elements has developed enough resistance to starve the solenoid of enough volts to prevent engagement.
One fix is to buy a 30A relay. Take the wire from the solenoid, connect it to the relay coil, and connect the other coil terminal to ground. Run a wire from the battery thru a 30A fuse to the relay switch terminal, connect the other relay switch terminal to the solenoid. Now the ignition switch and related circuitry only have to supply enough current to power the relay which in turn, powers the solenoid directly from the battery.

John Lash

Equipment
B2100, B2650
Nov 23, 2017
Elizabeth, Pa.
I had the same problem off and on. It always eventually started. I knew that someday it wouldn't, so I set out to fix it.
I tested all the interlock switches and they were made. I realized as long as the starter clicked the interlocks were made. If not, no click.
I replaced the starter... Wrong! Not it.
I went to a Kubota dealer to buy an ignition switch. A mechanic happened to be at the parts counter when I got there. He called me aside and said, " you don't need an ignition switch, you need a start relay kit." I thanked him and bought the start relay kit.
I installed the kit and no more problems.
I told a friend who was having the same problem. He went to a dealer and they'd never heard of the kit. He finally got one somewhere else and his problem was solved too.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Or instead of spending $125, if you have a little electrical nouse you can buy a relay and a bit of wire and do the same your self. Don't know what's in the kubota kit to make it so expensive, could be total plug and play I suppose
https://www.ebay.com/p/1400689148

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Or instead of spending $125, if you have a little electrical nouse you can buy a relay and a bit of wire and do the same your self. Don't know what's in the kubota kit to make it so expensive, could be total plug and play I suppose
https://www.ebay.com/p/1400689148
It installs in 10-15 minutes vs an hour to an hour in a half to build one. At a shop rate of $145 per hour the kubota one makes more sense. If you are doing it yourself not so much!

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
What I'm getting at is the difference between the Kubota kit and a JD kit, I'm wondering how much more is in a Kubota kit, as all you are doing is feeding the relay from the battery supply and grabbing the starter feed to power the relay, then plug the relay output back to the starter.
What does the Kubota kit offer?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
What I'm getting at is the difference between the Kubota kit and a JD kit, I'm wondering how much more is in a Kubota kit, as all you are doing is feeding the relay from the battery supply and grabbing the starter feed to power the relay, then plug the relay output back to the starter.
What does the Kubota kit offer?
Here are the parts included

Attachments

100 td

Equipment
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
I can see very little as the image is poor, it appears to be a relay with 4 wires, couple of cable ties and a relay mounting bracket. (Could be more, can't see) So same same as far as I can see, except the tin bracket. I understand it costs money to keep stock, transport etc etc, but I think $124 is a bit excessive for a relay and 4 wires, you can buy a microwave oven for ~$40.
Edit: Had another look, perhaps another couple of wires up to the switch? Still a bit exy.....

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
John Deere part number AM107421, relay kit. About $40 at local dealers.

Or get the Kubota 6C040-98900, from your favorite Kubota dealer, for about $100 or so.

They do the same thing, and both of them are "bolt-on" deal.

I recommend them on a lot of older equipment, as it takes the load off of the ignition switch start contacts. Also, many times the wiring gets worn/corroded and there is a voltage drop from the switch to the starter solenoid, which causes that click-click-click-start condition (measure voltage at small wire on the starter, with the wire still connected...you want to see 10.5v or more in the "crank" position). If lower, put a relay on it. Eases the load on the wiring and switch(es). Actually I keep a few of the JD relay kits in stock just for this reason. When I worked for a JD dealer, we sold hundreds of them; especially for the old RX75's and similar.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I installed the AM107421 kit on a TG1860 diesel a month ago. I don't use it much, has a good battery and when I wanted to start it for a winter warm up it did the no go routine. After the installation, starts faster than ever. I bought another one for the TG1860 gas.

But I'm a tight wad. I buy them used off Ebay for $18 slightly used. All the wires are well connected and have the proper ends to connect to the tractor. Not much to go wrong.