Sub zero weather B7100 hydro leak

Bluelick

Equipment
B7100, MMM, pond scoop, carryall, boom pole
May 24, 2011
Berea, KY
I have a 1980's B7100 (HST two wheel drive) that has seen a lot of service but mostly runs well. Recently, we had some very cold weather, dropping to four below one morning (cold for Kentucky). After that, while it was still cold, I noticed hydraulic fluid dripping on the ground from the bottom of the engine, in front of the mower deck. It is ounces but not quarts. I had not run the tractor in a few weeks so it appears this just started from the change in temperature. It was too cold to get into looking at it and work has kept me busy since then. Anybody got a clue as to how extreme cold could have caused this leak?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I don't have a specific answer for you about your B7100, but I'll share this. We also had some extremely cold weather, and my dad's truck (Ford Ranger) developed a power steering leak. He inquired about fixing it at a local shop, and they cautioned him to wait it out a little. They suspected that it was leaking because of the extreme cold, and it was- it has since stopped leaking, all together. The extreme cold had affected it enough to leak some.
Have you run the tractor recently, to see if it is still leaking?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm with Hodge also, let it warm up and see. Really cold weather might shrink some seals, etc. and cause some drips. I don't have a specific answer.

However, I do wonder when the last hydraulic fluid change was done, and is there discoloration (milky) fluid? My thought was if it has gained a lot of condensation/water over time, that maybe water has frozen and pushed some stuff out, especially low on the machine, where water would settle.....

Just a thought....

Last edited:

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
I've noticed the same thing on my B7100, in terms of a small a small coolant leak at one of the hose fittings. Only leaks when it is in the shed, during extremely cold temps. I have had to tighten the clamp a little the lasts 2 winters to stop the leak.

My guess is the leak will disappear when it warms up.

Bluelick

Equipment
B7100, MMM, pond scoop, carryall, boom pole
May 24, 2011
Berea, KY
Thanks for those suggestions, I like the optimistic idea that all will be well when it warms up some and I'd rather wait and see than go mess with it in the cold! I'll report back when I find out, and again, thanks!

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Old hoses leaking at the fittings is fairly common in cold temps. As they age the rubber shrinks and gets hard. Cold weather only adds to the shrink and leaks. This is an early warning to replace the hoses. As they age the leaks will get worse and at warmer temps. Good possibility one will blow off or split when you are furthest from your shop, and it just started raining.
Jeff