loses power after 15 minutes

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Does anyone add kerosene to the fuel to prevent freezing?
I don't have a need to do that in my area. However; I have added it when I lived in the UP of Michigan and in Wisconsin. We used to blend it 50-50 with number 2 diesel until temps got below -15 degrees. Below that we used to use straight kerosene.

Tweetybrun

Equipment
L 3200 Tractor Loader B/H RTV x1100c Grand L 4060 FL 805, BH 9.2
Jul 28, 2014
Hancock New York
Thanks. Recently we had -2 for a few days. I Put a heater in the garage and all was good. I just worry if I am away from home and do not have heat.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Thanks. Recently we had -2 for a few days. I Put a heater in the garage and all was good. I just worry if I am away from home and do not have heat.
In cold weather I use Power Service Diesel Kleen in the WHITE bottle. I parked my truck for about 14 hours out in the wind and blowing snow, with temps below -30 degrees and had absolutely no problems starting it the next morning. It was so cold that fuel station pumps could not pump fuel through the hose filters. Even with temps that cold, the Diesel Kleen fuel additive did its job and kept me running. I have never had a problem with Power Service fuel additives in any weather I encountered, anywhere.

Timberbank

Equipment
MX5000
Aug 22, 2017
Stouffville
What have you tried so far? Several people have mentioned additives to prevent gelling in the fuel. We have experienced exactly the same symptom you describe and solved the problem with fuel additives. Tell us what you have done so far to eliminate solutions that don't work so we can move on to different suggestions. Help us to help you.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. As it turns out, here in Ontario Canada, we use summer and winter diesel fuel. They change over in November and May. The winter fuel has the winter fuel conditioner added to the fuel. I had added a gas can full of what turned out to be summer fuel. I topped up my fuel tank with winter fuel and added 125ml of Kleen diesel fuel conditioner. I ran it for 25 minutes and no problems. Thanks also for all of the other suggestions as I now have a pretty good idea of what goes into the fuel delivery system on my tractor. Have a safe and healthy 20018. Best, Frank.

Timberbank

Equipment
MX5000
Aug 22, 2017
Stouffville
In cold weather I use Power Service Diesel Kleen in the WHITE bottle. I parked my truck for about 14 hours out in the wind and blowing snow, with temps below -30 degrees and had absolutely no problems starting it the next morning. It was so cold that fuel station pumps could not pump fuel through the hose filters. Even with temps that cold, the Diesel Kleen fuel additive did its job and kept me running. I have never had a problem with Power Service fuel additives in any weather I encountered, anywhere.
Thanks. I did just that and all is good now. Have a safe and healthy 2018

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I am glad that it worked for you. Now you can have fun with your tractor. Have a great day!

BucketAxe

Equipment
SVL 95 2-S CTL M6040 w/ 1153 loader
Jan 18, 2018
Cherry Valley, NY USA
I am having a similar problem as described in this post with my SVL 95-2 CTL. The fuel was treated but I let the fuel get low. Filled the tank in the am with winter grade diesel plus white jug diesel 911. Strated fine but the quit. Typically I can see if the fuel is gelled in the water separator and it looked fine. Started again and ten minutes later it quit. Put the red jug of diesel 911 in water separator plus some in the tank. Started ran and under load it either powered down or quit. Next I tried red jug in fuel filter. Let it run for an hour, and even went through a Regen cycle, put it under load and it wait again. Could this possibly be gelling still? It was all liquid in both filter and separator. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
We need to know a couple of things before your problem can be diagnosed. What is the weather like? How cold is it? You mention letting it run for an hour but it bogs down when under load. That indicates a fuel obstruction somewhere. What caused it? maybe the weather maybe it is just time to change filters. That is where I would start in your case, based on what you have said. If your fuel was clean and winter grade, as you said, along with the additives that you used, I would have to bet on a necessary filter change. It may be just coincidental that it just happens to need a filter change now.

BucketAxe

Equipment
Jan 18, 2018
Cherry Valley, NY USA
Thanks Joe. The machine only has 130 hours on it, however I suppose I can't rule the fuel filter out. It has been cold here in upstate NY for some time now. Today the high temp was 16 F and was 4 overnight.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Based on the temps that you say you have I would not rule out fuel clouding completely. However, if you had just a little clouding of the fuel and enough wax built up in the filters it is possible that the filters are clogged enough to cause the symptoms you reported. I think that changing the filters and making sure that you have properly treated fuel that the symptoms should clear up. Let us know what you find. You may be helping others by reporting what you find. Good Luck!

BucketAxe

Equipment
Jan 18, 2018
Cherry Valley, NY USA
I replaced the fuel filter and everything seems to be operating at 100%. It may be common knowledge for some, however I did not know that when fuel gels and then becomes liquid again paraffin wax separates out and can clog the filter. In my case the fuel had gelled once and partially gelled another time. I was able to get it operating with 911 treatment and a heater. Ultimately I needed to change the fuel filter after 20 hours of operation, which in hindsight I should have done immediately. Thanks for everyone's help.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I'm glad that everything worked out for you.