My BXpanded backhoe ripper review.

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
So, I got to finally try out my BXpanded ripper for my backhoe. (And my backhoe for the first time). My neighbor cut down an 18” sweetgum tree and I asked if I could remove the stump for some practice. He was more than happy to agree.

Getting the hang of the backhoe controls to be consistent, and go where I wanted it, took about an hour of playing around. I got a pretty good feel for RPM range and how much power the BH70 has. It’s a modest piece pf equipment, but still very powerful for its small size. I was impressed.

After that, I set in on removing the stump. The ripper is pretty awesome, i must say. Having never used one, i spent some time doing it wrong first, and cut too far from the stump. I was a couple of feet away on each side. That was just too much dirt on the roots. The stump wouldnt budge, and I was cutting too much area.

Attacking the stump up close was far more effective. I found a technique of pushing the ripper down into the soil, then drawing the ripper up toward the dipper, then back open, then moving the dipper forward a little and repeating worked best. The action of pushing the root up with leverage, then pulling it, and repeating chewed through roots even six inches in dimeter. It was like operating a large pair of scissors. Using the serrations to your advantage is critical.

Once I got the hang of it, I cut all four sides in about 30 minutes. I was then able to pull the stump up and loose. I used the thumb and ripper to grapple it, pull it out, and move it away.

I figure most trees this size or smaller will be be 15-20 minute jobs as I get better at it. A more powerful machine could do it even faster.

So, a total newb can go from no backhoe experience, to ripping out a stump in a couple hours. Not a bad tool in my opinion. Easy to install, easy to use, and highly effective.

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
Thats a good idea! I have a few more to take put. Ill video the next one.

The whole time I was using this thing, I was thinking, I wish BXpanded combined the ripper with the trenching bucket. (Ripper serrations on the sides of the trenching bucket). To be able to excavate around the stump while ripping would be killer.

Last edited: