Is the DPF a ceramic piece or paper?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Re: PDF cleaning service

A DPF is similar to catalytic converter on a gas vehicle.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

Perhaps a moderator can correct the title of this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

Thank you my friend,, I know under ground some of the old diesels had a ceramic filter then some of the newer Brookville motors had a replaceable DPF that looked like an air filter type construction

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs

Nearly any large truck diesel engine facility will have a kiln for DPF bake out. While our DPF equipped engines get pretty hot when they regen, they get nowhere near the temps of a kiln nor for as long. Typicallya shop will run them at 1100deg F for 8-10 hrs in the kiln to oxidize the soot trapped in the filter. In Colorado rocky mountain cummins offers the service.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

There are quite a few places in this area that do it.

I have heard of Kubota dealers-and individuals-who have removed the DPF from the tractor, soaked it in a bucket full of simple green, then washed it out with a power washer. Not a good idea, for many reasons. First it wont' oxidize the soot that's stuck in the substrate. Second, if it's damaged during the DIY cleaning, you get to buy a new one. And with that comes with the headache of ordering it...as the EPA mandated that replacing a DPF requires some weird hoop-jumping garbage, typical of anything with government intervention. Overcomplicated for a simple task, but understand why. They (kubota) is required (by the EPA) to document replacement of the DPF. And thirdly...when it gets dirty, or is replaced, diagmaster has to be used to re-set the system. If it's not, it's quite likely that it'll either want to regen too often, or not at all. IF not at all, when the filter gets plugged, it's possible that the engine will melt itself down from the excessive heat, similar to stuffing a tater up it's exhaust pipe and it not burning out. It makes enough EGT to melt parts.

They're charging us about $250 to clean a L01 DPF locally. Only had to do 2 of them since the first Kubota DPF's showed up about 5 years ago and both of them were due to a rolled tractor, fill engine and exhaust with oil, and the system "thinks" that the DPF is "sooted up"...but it can't distinguish oil fouling from regular soot fouling. That's also why it's important to keep these things maintained properly.