Splice toggle switch into glow plug circuit

moot

Equipment
L3010GST, Bush Hog 2045 Loader
Jan 21, 2018
GA, USA
I have a L3010 GST. My glow plug light stays on as long as the ignition switch is on. Right now I just leave the switch on for a couple of seconds, start the engine and turn the switch off. To stop the engine I pull the emergency shutoff. I would like to just put a toggle switch in the glow plug circuit… that way I can leave the switch on and allow the alternator to charge the batter and have the gauges work. I believe everything I need to modify is behind the dash, on the right hand side. Has anyone done this? Can anyone give me a simple way (and where) to splice the toggle switch into the circuit?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make ‘em think…

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would suggest you fix the problem rather than bypassing it!:)

You have a problem in the glow plug circuit - or the switch.
I am not sure there is a glow plug controller on your machine - but if it does, I would check that out first.

IT does -
http://www.messicks.com/part/16415-65600/relay-glow-plug

However - it has been done before - bypassing that is :

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/141050-l3010-glowplug-controler.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/134518-glow-plug-wiring-help-needed.html

moot

Equipment
Jan 21, 2018
GA, USA
Thanks for the links... I'll look to see if they can work for my issue.
I would like to fix the problem-but-I'm on a very limited budget... last time I looked I could be in over $100... and even then there could be other issues.
Seeing that I don't really even need the glow plugs to start the tractor...
Brings me to my next question... Where are the glow plugs? I've got a service manual... but can't find any info on where they are or how they are wired!:(
That was my original problem with the glow plug relay, controller, etc... they were shown on the schematic... but not their location behind the dash...

————-———————————————————————

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks for the links... I'll look to see if they can work for my issue.
I would like to fix the problem-but-I'm on a very limited budget... last time I looked I could be in over $100... and even then there could be other issues.
Seeing that I don't really even need the glow plugs to start the tractor...
Brings me to my next question... Where are the glow plugs? I've got a service manual... but can't find any info on where they are or how they are wired!:(
That was my original problem with the glow plug relay, controller, etc... they were shown on the schematic... but not their location behind the dash...

————-———————————————————————
You can get some serious help here to come up with a low cost fix however, the work on your part will largely be providing information and photographs.

The glow plugs themselves screw into the cylinder head for each cylinder, like where a spark plug would be. There will be a wire attached to the top of each glow plug.

Please post some photos of both sides of your engine and the dash.

History of the tractor. What age is it. How long have you had it.

This 4 minute youtube video by Bosch will give you a better understandking of their purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hIbT8-rS7E

Has anyone been trying to fix the glow plug issue?

Looking forward to your photos and answers.

Dave

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
You can find part location in the part lookup on kunota.com

Or follow the wire from the glow plugs back to the relay.
Maybe a good rap will knock some sense into it?

Ray

moot

Equipment
Jan 21, 2018
GA, USA
...Please post some photos of both sides of your engine and the dash...
Soon as I can get it in the garage...out of of cold.
...History of the tractor. What age is it. How long have you had it...
Mfg: L3010GST (July 1998 -?- 2001), Bush Hog 2045 Loader
Purchased: 2009, 265 hrs.
History (to 1/2018)… moved >50 ton of pine… 770 hrs., no major repairs, just normal maintenance. Biggest problem I’ve had was when a 2ft x 15ft pine log slipped on the loader… almost tipped me over… broke a hydraulic hose… little problem when the fuel bowl cracked… that was expensive!
...Has anyone been trying to fix the glow plug issue?...
I've been working around the issue...like ignoring it. Starting to bug me now, so I guess it's time to fix it... cheaply.;)

moot

Equipment
Jan 21, 2018
GA, USA
...Maybe a good rap will knock some sense into it?...
Did that all last summer, until that didn't work anymore and I was afraid I'd start denting the dash to much...:D