B7100 axle/hub question

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Thats when I go to my 12 inch grinder and and as ;)dusty says bigger hammer to make it fit. Everyone has good ideas on this I may need to use one keepum coming.handy
Rather than use beads of weld,I think the best way of doing this is to get say a piece of 10mm square stock and cut 6 pieces the same size as the axle hexes.
then chamfer each one along its length.then position them around the axle(first grind flush the old weld,)with the chamfer towards the hub and weld them all in place...There would need to be a couple of thou shims under each piece before welding to give sliding clearance and try sliding after tacking before final welding.:D
An even better way if you have a lathe would be to recess the hub so all the pieces fitted inside which would keep it all concentric.
I have also found that on older worn hubs its not effective to just torque them..What happens is the end of the bolt wears down and a dip is also worn at its contact point on the hub which means the bolt is tightening on the spring coils and not where you need it ,on the hub itself...Although I have been fitting and welding for over 50 years I am rubbish at drawing otherwise I would post some pics of the plan
Dave

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
Thanks everyone for the ideas!!

Haven't had time to play with the tractor yet (work and "honeydews")!!

I'll let you know how things go when I can work on it - probably Sunday will be the first time I get.

K

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Dave is on the right track for really worn hubs and axles for sure... the reason I used the wraparound brass shim stock was so the shims that dave is talking about can slide under it and the brass will hold it in place on all 8 sides as it is drivn on....

Well said Dave! 4 stars 4 Dave:D!
Butch

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
So I didn't get back to work on this tractor very quickly! What I did do though is find a newer hub that matches the replacement hub I already had. Found it on Ebay for 100 bucks. Came with new studs, lug nuts and the axle pin too. Works like a champ! The new style tightening mechanism is a pair of wedges that push on two sides of the axle, which then clamps it tight into the opposite side of the hub. Seems to hold it very securely now. I tried to take some pics, but apparently I'd had either too much or too little coffee, because the pictures are really shaky. Sorry! I've included two of them that are half useable!

Attachments

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
Thanks to everyone who provided other ideas to fix this. I decided to go with new parts because, well, I'm not the best fabricator!:eek:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My old style hubs (B7100DT) are too loose and worn for my liking (thanks to the previous owner's lack of torquing skills), I stuffed in some sheetmetal shims but they keep working their way out. I'd try building up the inside with weld if I could just figure out a way to grind it flat/to fit.

My old B 7100 DT had the same problem. It was so bad that the adjustment straps could be tightened all the way down and the hubs could still be slid down the axle and removed.:mad:

I welded up two of the corners so it would make the hub pull up kind of even when I was finished. After building it up I used a ( pine cone ) like what is used for doing head work (porting) in my die grinder to bring it back in shape. It took a few times of grinding, fitting, rewelding, grinding, refitting, I think you get my point. After taking the time to make a nice snug fit with the bands backed off it turned out good.:D

After letting the hubs cool down naturally overnight I put them back on and tightened down the straps. I used it for about 15 more years without another problem. I think the "wobble" gets this bad when the owner doesn't take care of it as soon as it shows up. By the time they deside to do something about it the problem has got so out of hand they don't know how to fix it.:confused:

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
K4me, congrat's on your lucky purchase and overall fix!

Bulldog, thank you for posting your past experiance. It will be helpful for those not so fortunate to find new parts on e bay.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I was taught the old school way of if it can be fixed then there is no need to buy a new one. We didn't have E-bay to go to when dad had me enrolled in his fix and repair class.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I was taught the old school way of if it can be fixed then there is no need to buy a new one. We didn't have E-bay to go to when dad had me enrolled in his fix and repair class.

Where there is a will, there is a way! You were taught well :D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Where there is a will, there is a way! You were taught well :D
Back in the day if you couldn't build it for yourself you were in big trouble. We had a lot of things around our farm that couldn't even be bought.

The need for a certain product, the vision to see what it would take to do the job and then the skill to actually fabricate what you dreamed up.

How many things we use every day do we take for granted that were first thought up in this same way?

k4me

Equipment
b7100hst (early)
Feb 7, 2010
Erie, CO USA
Bulldog,

I do wish I'd had some of that kind of training as a kid. The funny thing is, my dad grew up on a farm in Wisconsin. I know he learned how to do all sorts of handy things, but by the time I came along, we had moved to the suburbs. By the time I bought my first car, the garage was where you parked the car. Maintenance was done at the dealership or service station.

Everything I've learned to do since then has been mostly self taught. I actually do passable plumbing, basic wiring and nearly all of the automotive maintenance around the house. I bought the hub because it made sense for my personal cost vs time spent ratio on that project. Now it is fixed, (for good :)), and I can move on to other things that need attention!

PS I just reread this, I hope I didn't sound offended, because I'm not. I truly wish I had gotten the farm education. I am learning more everytime I log onto OTT, and appreciate all the help and advice offered here.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
K4me,

I never really understood what my dad was trying to accomplish. I'm glad he took the time to be hard on me back then. I think it paid off well for me in the long run.

I think I'm lucky to have been given the opertunity to grow up on a farm and even more so that I still am able to live on a farm today. It's small but I love it.

I think it's a complament when people say "You live all the way out there". Yes I do and proud of it. My house can't be seen from the road and don't even try to see my closest neighbor. I like the fact that I can go outside to take a pee and don't have to worry about anybody looking to see what's going on.

Amishkingpin

Equipment
B7100 HST with FEL,Tiller,Rotary Mower and Box grader
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Guys,

I recently bought a B7100HST with the same problem which I only discovered this last winter bucking snow. The bolt broke and the wheel slid into the fender and 3 pt arm. I pulled the wheel off and took the hub off but noticed how worn and sloppy it is on the worn axle.

I am hearing some great fixes and need to apply a similiar solution. Does anyone have some pictures or willing to provide some to illustrate your fix so a dummy like me could follow? I am not very good with metal but willing to try.

I seem to do better with pictures. :rolleyes:

Thanks - this gives me a good starting point.

AK

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I don't have any pics but it was as simple as it sounds. I was only about 13 or 14 when I fixed my 7100. Using a die grinder really gives you a lot of control when you start to grind the metal back out and start fitting the hub back to the axle. If you take to much out it's as simple as firing the welder back up and adding more weld.

Amishkingpin

Equipment
B7100 HST with FEL,Tiller,Rotary Mower and Box grader
Feb 19, 2009
Columbus, Ohio,USA
Bulldog,

I see, you father must have a lot of trust in your ability to repair the B7100 tractor at such mature age of 13. This option may work but I prefer not to grind on my tractor or use a welder. I like the fix by adding shims to the axle and sliding the hub on the hub making a nice tight fit. These are the pictures I would like to see, as I am trying to visualize how the shims are placed and wrapped around the axle.

But, also like K4ME decided to buy new hubs which may be the best way to go. As time is money and sometimes by time you but materials and spend the time fitting each hub, buying new may be cheaper!:rolleyes:

Again, that is what is great about this website, Kubota owners sharing their great ideas and experiences to help fellow owners.

AK

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Amishkingpin,

My dad gave me my first welding hood when I was 6 and would let me watch as he and my granddad welded. By 7 they were helping me to get the weld started and giving me lots of direction. When they had the time they would just throw a old piece of plate in the vise and let me burn rods. Of course when this was going on if the bead didn't look good I had to go back and do it over until it was laid down like a stack of dimes.

My childhood was not like most my age. My playground was out in the pasture and my sand box was in a soy bean field. When I was 13 I disc, chiselled, planted, cultivated and harvested 500 acres basicly by myself. I couldn't drive the truck (legally) so I needed fuel brought to me and bean seed during planting time but other than that I was pretty much on my own.

I guess you could say that I had earned some trust from my parents to get turned loose like that.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Ya dfid good! Going back with new is always the best and surest fix for a problem.... however in a pinch it is always good to know there is another way to postpone the inevitable.... Let us know how the repair turns out.... Butch:D