BX2200 won't start

TomballOrange

Equipment
BX2200
May 16, 2009
Tomball
I have a BX2200. It sat idle for a while and the battery died on me. I put a new battery in it this morning that I purchased from Tractor Supply Co. The tractor turns over but doesn't 'catch'. It makes the usual clicking sound when I turn the key to the glow plug setting. All of the lights and gauges work, but it won't start. There is diesel in it. Does anyone have any ideas for how to start it? I am a novice with deisel engines. Thanks!

rstrohmayer

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 15, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
>>Thanks for the tip! Where do I find the fuel solenoid on a BX2200?
fuel solenoid will be left-middle (when sitting on tractor) of engine block. It should have a connector with 3 wires going to it. I'm not an expert, but it seems you could pull the solenoid off the block and briefly turn over the engine to see if the solenoid retracts like it should, to allow fuel to pass through.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a BX2200. It sat idle for a while and the battery died on me. I put a new battery in it this morning that I purchased from Tractor Supply Co. The tractor turns over but doesn't 'catch'. It makes the usual clicking sound when I turn the key to the glow plug setting. All of the lights and gauges work, but it won't start. There is diesel in it. Does anyone have any ideas for how to start it? I am a novice with deisel engines. Thanks!
Take the operators manual and go through the safety interlock checks. If the fuel pump is clicking, it's pumping fuel but when you turn the key on over to ignition two position ( start ) it does nothing because you are not getting 12 volts to the starter solenoid coil which pulls the reduction gear in position to the flywheel ring gear to cause cranking for auto ignition of the diesel engine. To prove this to yourself make a switch up with twelve gage wire or purchase a push bottom switch locally. Put one lead on the solenoid terminal and the other to the heavy battery pole on the starter and push. If the engine turns over the starter is good. Now you have to figure out how or why you are not getting 12 volt to the starer solenoid. Try this and then post your findings and we will work through this logically to isolate your starting problem. Sounds like the solenoid is trying to pull in the starter reduction gear but if you don't have at least 10 volts it wont pull the plunger into the coil deep enough for the fork to push the gear against the fly wheel gear. Remember, if you have air, fuel and compression a diesel will start. But there are several thing that have to function as designed in order for this to happen. :)

Last edited: