Want to fill my rear tires!

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
I am interested in filling the rear tires on my B3000.

Do people install tubes in the tires to keep the fluid from being in contact with the rim and causing rust over time?

If a tube needs to be installed then do you use a standard tube or are there special tubes that need to be used for this?

I plan on using -20 degree windshield washer fluid and for my tire size it takes 21 gallons to fill the tire to the 75% level.

I would like to fill the tires my self so I also will need to purchase a fill kit to do the job. Is there a recommendation of one specific kit over others?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You don't need to tube the rims to use windshield washer fluid.

You don't have to have the filler kit, just something to pump the fluid in with.
A simple aquarium or fountain pump will work fine. ;)

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
You don't need to tube the rims to use windshield washer fluid.

You don't have to have the filler kit, just something to pump the fluid in with.
A simple aquarium or fountain pump will work fine. ;)
You really don't even need a pump if you have lots of time! Just get a hose small enough to go into the valve stem (and allow air out around it) then get your container of juice above the level you want the fluid at and get it flowing. you have to support the tractor with a jack. once the fluid is in reinstall the valve and set the tire pressure where you want it. It'll take quite a while, but that is how they did it in the "old days"!

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
Thanks all for your input.

I hope to begin the process here in the next week or two.

I happened into the local Wally World and they were trying to clean out the remaining stock of -20 WWF. Had it priced at $1.00 per gallon.

Picked up 40 gallons. It seems I'm not always at the right place at the right time to take advantage of good deals, but this time I was. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I had the same luck. Was at the local farm store and they had it on sale. Sure makes the shopping cart had to push and get some funny looks heading to the check out.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
See sticky at top of this page. Great info found there in the links on this topic

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
You really don't even need a pump if you have lots of time! Just get a hose small enough to go into the valve stem (and allow air out around it) then get your container of juice above the level you want the fluid at and get it flowing. you have to support the tractor with a jack. once the fluid is in reinstall the valve and set the tire pressure where you want it. It'll take quite a while, but that is how they did it in the "old days"!
Exactly the way I did mine.

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
Will washer fluid retain its antifreeze ability for the life of the unit. I had calcium chloride in my last unit for 31 years. How does one determine quantity needed, and where can RV antifreeze or beet juice be bought in larger containers.
I'm getting a 2601 delivered this week, was thinking of using a vacuum pump to fill the tires on the new rig.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Here's a list showing quanity.

http://www.messicks.com/blog/post/Liquid-Tire-Ballast-Chart.aspx

You can check with an auto parts store like O'Reilly, and they may give you a good price on a 55 gal. barrel.

Folks have had the -20 WWF in their tires for 10 years, or more, without troubles. You can do a web search to find more stories then you'll have time to read!!

If you have a 15 gal. sprayer you use for yard spraying, it works fine for getting the fluid in you tires. Take the nozzle off, use clamp to attach to valve stem, burp every few gallons to let the air out.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Methanol is what gives wwf it's anti-freeze capabilities, so unless it changes inside the tire somehow it should keep those capabilities.

You can buy wwf and RV antifreeze in bulk, but from what I've seen you can only get beet juice at Rimgard dealers, and they won't sell it to you without installing it themselves.

B Krafty

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HST
Jun 6, 2017
Pocatello, Idaho
I am in the process of buying a b2650. The dealer I talked with mentioned something about filling rear tires with "something" about the consistency of molasses. You guys have any idea what he might be referring to?

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I am in the process of buying a b2650. The dealer I talked with mentioned something about filling rear tires with "something" about the consistency of molasses. You guys have any idea what he might be referring to?
Rim Gaurd aka Beet Juice.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
Rimguard. I have it in mine. I recommed it. It smells like soy sauce!

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
I would like to do the same to all 4 of my tires on my L2501. I checked the link above for Messicks, but they don't have my tire size in the chart. Is there any other resource available to get an approximation of how much I would need? My tire size is 13.6x16 rears and 25x8.5-14 Fronts. Thanks for any help in advance.:)

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I would like to do the same to all 4 of my tires on my L2501. I checked the link above for Messicks, but they don't have my tire size in the chart. Is there any other resource available to get an approximation of how much I would need? My tire size is 13.6x16 rears and 25x8.5-14 Fronts. Thanks for any help in advance.:)
Looks like you need about 31 gallons per rear. Not many people recommend filling the fronts.

http://www.rimguard.biz/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Hydro-Flation-tables-2014-PDF.pdf

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada