3pt backhoe question

Foisy

Equipment
Kubota L3240, Great Bend Backhoe, LA514 Loader, rear snowblower
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
I'm only a recent owner of my tractor (any tractor for that matter) and have been enjoying it big time. From what I can figure everything is running fine and I've been able to push the limits of my backhoe while recently digging out stumps.

My question is when the tractor sits for a few days (which hasn't been many lately) the backhoe will slowly drop down its boom and bucket and even the stabilizers will move down a bit. Is this normal or is something else going on? The previous owner told me to lower the bucket and stabilizers if I wasn't going to use it for a few days but never mentioned that it would do this if I didn't.

Anybody have thoughts? Does anyone else suggest lowering your stuff when not in use?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah I would put everthing on the ground and take the stress off the hydraulic cylinders. Stick the boom and the out riggers down but releasing the hyds when the PTO is off. Gravity will let them fall and just have them rest on the ground. Thats alot of metal for the cylinders to hold up in the air for a few days with no hydraulic oil flowing threw them.

Plus to me its alot safer since you know they are already down and kids wont be tempted to play with the backhoe and get injured or kill. It cant fall down if its already down.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
As long as you don't have any leaks I wouldn't worry about it. Like Eric said it's always much safer to lower everything to the ground anyway.

Foisy

Equipment
Kubota L3240, Great Bend Backhoe, LA514 Loader, rear snowblower
Mar 28, 2010
Northern Ontario
Thanks, as long as this normal and not a problem waiting to happen. I usually do lower them and this is why I didn't notice this until now.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Thanks, as long as this normal and not a problem waiting to happen. I usually do lower them and this is why I didn't notice this until now.
Leaking down is very "normal" for a piece of equipment with some age on it. My backhoe does the same thing.

beetlebaily

May 30, 2010
waynesburg, pa , usa
I'm only a recent owner of my tractor (any tractor for that matter) and have been enjoying it big time. From what I can figure everything is running fine and I've been able to push the limits of my backhoe while recently digging out stumps.

My question is when the tractor sits for a few days (which hasn't been many lately) the backhoe will slowly drop down its boom and bucket and even the stabilizers will move down a bit. Is this normal or is something else going on? The previous owner told me to lower the bucket and stabilizers if I wasn't going to use it for a few days but never mentioned that it would do this if I didn't.

Anybody have thoughts? Does anyone else suggest lowering your stuff when not in use?
Yes, you should lower all hoes loaders stabilizers, etc when not using to relieve pressure on hydraulic lines.