L3540HST PTO Issues

jbilling

Dec 3, 2010
Utterson, Ontario
I have a 3540HST with electronic PTO engagaement. The pto is not disengaging. When you turn off the Pto switch it shows as disengaged on the display but the pto is still engaged. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jon

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Not trying to be a smart a$$... How do you know it is engaged? Is there any load on it? I'd have to check my 3940, but in the olden days, a little spin would be normal. Not suggesting it at all, but grabbing on to it would stop it easily.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jbilling

Dec 3, 2010
Utterson, Ontario
Appears I have major internal issues. Decided to change hydraulic oil and filter to see if it helped with issue and when i removed hydraulic filter the magnet on filter is full of metal shavings.

Not real happy. At a minimum dealer figures PTO clutch is destroyed and roughly $4000 to fix and 3weeks. It's only 3 1/2 yrs old.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Bummer!

Let's assume it is your PTO clutch. For $4K, I'd be taking it apart myself and figuring out what is wrong.

Here's a good PTO clutch assembly listed on ebay for $1K. I'd offer him less via email and see what he says. Based on part number (assuming your tractor was built in 2010 or after) it should be the correct one. You need to be sure of the year when your tractor was built. The earlier units (2007-2009) used a different clutch pack. Part number TD260-69002 was used starting in 2010 and after.

http://r.ebay.com/kgB2gC

For reference, the complete clutch assembly by itself, new from Kubota, will run about $1300. Depending on what shape yours is in, you might just need to replace internal parts which should be a lot cheaper.

Go to www.kubota.com, click on Parts at the top of the page, then Illustrated Parts List, accept the terms, and put your model number in. Under Clutch/Transmission on the left expand the little plus sign. You will see PTO Clutch [Component Parts] listed. It will give you a nice exploded diagram that you can reference once you've pulled yours apart.

Take it apart, figure out where the metal came from, clean everything really well and replace whatever is toast. Make sure to clean all of the bearings really well and check them to make sure they turn smoothly. If any are at all questionable, replace while you're in there. Did I mention that you need to clean everything REALLY well???? Am I being clear??? :) Not being a smart a$$, just can't stress this strongly enough. Any metal left behind will just circulate and destroy stuff and you'll be repeating the job. You should be able to eat off the parts before it goes back together.

You will also need a shop manual. Buy the one from Kubota as the exploded views will prove very helpful. Yeah they're expensive, but they're worth every penny. Messick's is one good source for parts. No, I don't have any affiliation, just have found them good to deal with over time. For the WSM, look here - http://www.messicks.com/Wiki/Kubota/L3540.aspx

You can search Kubota part numbers on this page to get an idea of prices:

http://www.messicks.com/KubotaTractorParts.aspx

This still won't be cheap. But, if you're willing to get your hands dirty, it will be a lot cheaper than what you were quoted. Absolute worst case, you take it apart, get stuck and bring it to the dealer apart for them to reassemble. You already know what it's going to cost.

Just go slow, take lots of pics, keep everything organized and you'll be fine. There is a lot of experience here on the board to help you if you get stuck.

Best,

Steve

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I would recommend replacing the bearings if you decide to do it yourself. They are fairly inexpensive, maybe adding 20 to 40$ to the total cost of the parts if that. I consider it cheap insurance;)

jbilling

Dec 3, 2010
Utterson, Ontario
thanks for replys and feedback guys. Weighing my options right now. Looking at a new 7060hdcc12 replacement. Few of the dealers i have spoken with were shocked at the 2100hrs in 3 1/2 years. I use this in a commercial environment with mulitple staff using. They all feel the hydrastatic drive is not suited to our usage. This is the 2nd kubota hst failure i've had. Bought a used 3240 which was ok for 2yrs then had internal seal failures. Figured oh well thats what i get for buying used. Bought new and had another significant failure. Most dealers I have spoken with are uneasy on HST based on our usage. BTW only about 200-300 of the 2100hrs is PTO usage. Most feel i need to go to GSt style transmission. 7060 is overkill for us but being in northern ontario i want a cab.

Thoughts?