installing a block heater on a BX25D for winter

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
unsure about this procedure, but a quick and easy install. heres the part and freeze plug location. DSC04152.jpg

DSC04153.jpg

DSC04154.jpg

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
popped out the plug with a slide hammer. tapped in the heater element with a socket and extension. ty wrapped the wires from moving, plug sticks out below the shroud for easy access. DSC04159.jpg

DSC04156.jpg

DSC04158.jpg

DSC04160.jpg

I was a little paranoid about messing with a new tractor (only 28 hours so far) but its easy to get to and a quick and easy install. If I can do it anyone can. no leaks, topped off the antifreeze, ready to go

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your Kubota will thank you for it all winter long! ;)

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Pepsiboy, I picked mine up at the Kubota Dealer yesterday and with tax was just a few pennies under $89.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Pepsiboy, I picked mine up at the Kubota Dealer yesterday and with tax was just a few pennies under $89.

WOW ! ! ! :eek: Kind of PRICEY isn't it ?? I think I'll get what is called a 'Tank Heater' 750 watts that recirculates the coolant around the engine for about $45 - $55 at O'Reilly's instead. Thanks.

Dave :D

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Mine is in the lower radiator hose. Dealer installed. I trust that location better as to leak possibilities and fixing them.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
WOW ! ! ! :eek: Kind of PRICEY isn't it ?? I think I'll get what is called a 'Tank Heater' 750 watts that recirculates the coolant around the engine for about $45 - $55 at O'Reilly's instead. Thanks.

Dave :D
Dave,
$89 is not that spendy for a purpose built heater, you can get them for cheaper off EBay, just have to wait for shipping.

Look real carefully before jumping into a Tank type heater as most require that you hook up to a heater (3/4", 5/8") hose and I'm betting you don't have that on your Kubota! ;)

Leyland

Equipment
BX25D
Oct 31, 2014
Southwestern Ontario
Nice job on the install. I checked the "block heater"option when I ordered my BX25D living up in the great white north it's the right way to do it. Never thought to ask any details though, was actually amazed it wasn't a factory installed option on Canadian tractors. My dealer said the shop has to install it though as part of their prep to get the tractor ready.. I will have a look to see what they did when it's delivered.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
bearskinner,

Good job on the install. :D BTW, what was the cost of the frost plug heater ? Was it from Kubota ? I've been thinking about that for my BX2350 also. :cool:

Dave
yes its a Kubota part, and it was $80.00. when I called the parts dept they quoted me $45, but that was for a small thread in one, not this one. It is a heavy duty unit. I plugged it in this morning for 1/2 an hour before starting the tractor. It was 18 degrees outside when I put my hand on the engine to see if it was warm, and it was HOT. I already feel good about adding it, the engine fired right up and idled smooth and no black smoke. If it cuts down on wear and tear, and helps keep it alive longer, that's $80 well spent.

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
Dave,
$89 is not that spendy for a purpose built heater, you can get them for cheaper off EBay, just have to wait for shipping.

Look real carefully before jumping into a Tank type heater as most require that you hook up to a heater (3/4", 5/8") hose and I'm betting you don't have that on your Kubota! ;)
Wolfman,

I got it yesterday at NAPA for $46.96 including tax. Install kit has everything I need except for 1/2" hose. Neighbor has some of that left over from when he put tank heater on his B3030. Said I could have it for FREE ! ! :p Will let you know how it goes when I put it on tomorrow or Monday.

Dave

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Put mine in this morning. Would have gone faster had i taken the loader of first. That and why can't they design the side panels to be removable without having to remove the grill guard.

My plastic parts are going to need some tlc this summer. Few cracks showing up. :(

Can't wait to play.............. Work in the snow. Supposed to get 1"-3" tonight :rolleyes:

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I plug mine in a half hour or so before I want to start it. It does make a NOTICABLE difference in ease of starting, idle, and black smoke upon start up

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Depending on temp, I like to do at least an hour. ;)
And yes 100% difference in the starting. :D

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
My early BX uses a freeze plug at the front of the engine, behind the muffler. I purchased one for about $40 about a year ago and did not install until last month. I used it for the first time today, plugged it in for half an hour and than started it. Fired right up! Just like it was 80 degrees out.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have used my heater three times now, and I get a warm/fuzzy feeling about it every time. The little tractor fires right up and idles great right off the bat. It makes you feel good to take care of your equipment. last day today with the FEL, than Ill take it off and put on the snow plow, and "get ready for it!"