Frozen Hydraulics??

mikkeeh

Aug 28, 2013
Mount Vernon Ohio
Ok...so its -2 this morning. Gonna clear the driveway, about 20secs of "glow plug" and the Kubota fires right up.....not terribly happy mind you....

3pt picks up the weight box, lift the bucket....tilt back, tilt down..........no down bucket. Control wont move forward. Do I have moisture in my valve body????? Not sure where to start.

Update: I warmed up the control assy, and things started to work...so I assume I have some moisture in the valve body?????

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
At -2 everything is sticky yes at that temp in MHO start that bad girl up and go in for a cup of coffee and by the time your done everything should be warmed up well enough to be good to go. Could be a lite moisture in there or it could be the valve just wasn't opening all the way,, these beasties need to warm up a bit before you go play:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's probably not a moisture problem just thick hydraulic fluid, when we hit -15 everything got super slow here too.
If it remains a problem time for a fluid and filter change.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
IMHO would lean toward moisture in the control. This is a common problem, especially with Husko valve bodies. The lower part (looks like a long cap) is where the moisture will collect and cause problems. Fairly simple to take apart and lubricate but keep in mind it has lots of small parts that you don't want to loose.

-11 is the coldest I remember using my tractor in but the hydraulics acted like it was summer time. I guess it's all in what fluid you use.

mikkeeh

Aug 28, 2013
Mount Vernon Ohio
IMHO would lean toward moisture in the control. This is a common problem, especially with Husko valve bodies. The lower part (looks like a long cap) is where the moisture will collect and cause problems. Fairly simple to take apart and lubricate but keep in mind it has lots of small parts that you don't want to loose.

-11 is the coldest I remember using my tractor in but the hydraulics acted like it was summer time. I guess it's all in what fluid you use.
Thanks for the input. Hydraulics themselves worked relatively normal..ie...3pt, and up/tilt. Just couldn't move the joystick to the "down" position.

mikkeeh

Aug 28, 2013
Mount Vernon Ohio
OK...After another cold night the joystick wont move to the down position. Was going to partially dis-assemble the valve and check for water. I got several schematics from Messick for the valve on the LA302.......but none of the numbers on my valve match up to the ones they list. Id like to have a picture before I start to disassemble. any help appreciated.

Attachments

rayc

Equipment
kubota L4310 hstc
Apr 26, 2011
prince township , ontario, canada
Yes its probably moisture in the control valve. I have the same problem on very cold mornings. Let it warm up for 15 minutes then its good to go. I drilled holes in the bottom cups of the control valve and got about 1/2 ounce of water but did not have time to remove and lube them yet.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
We drilled a drain hole in my brothers LA302 loader when we took it apart. Served as a drain and a place to shoot some spray lube in every once in a while. Never had any problems after that.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If memmory serves correct I believe it was in the lower edge of the cap looking piece on the bottom of the control valve. It's been 14 yrs but I believe that's right. We had it taken apart when we drilled it though. His was rusted up bad on the inside and had to be taken apart to be cleaned.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
So...can I remove those caps to check for water without removing the valve body from the tractor?
Yeah, I'm having the same thought. But to re-phrase the question... Can the caps be removed without small pieces and parts going flying around the shop never to be found again ???

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Yes the cap can be removed without taking the valve body off.

Yes, you are going to have small parts when it comes off.

My brother and I did his and got it back together without loosing parts. If we can do it anybody that already has the tools in their box to do the job should be able to handle it just fine.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yes the cap can be removed without taking the valve body off.
Yes, you are going to have small parts when it comes off.
My brother and I did his and got it back together without loosing parts. If we can do it anybody that already has the tools in their box to do the job should be able to handle it just fine.
What he said…. if it's like my B7100, one guy can do it, but it's not fun…. two sets of hands is preferable.

mikkeeh

Aug 28, 2013
Mount Vernon Ohio
OK Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately I wont be able to work on it for several days....AFTER the big freeze..... Im sure it will freeze again. Is there a chance something will get damaged from freezing????? Don't have a lot of choices right now.

mikkeeh

Aug 28, 2013
Mount Vernon Ohio
Finally got to tear into the control valve. I removed the longer cap on the bottom of the valve, that controls up, down float position. Got about a tbsp. of water out.. which I assume was freezing prohibiting the valve from moving forward...Minimal corrosion, cleaned, lubed and back together. Pulled the other cap, and it was completely dry inside. If condensation is the issue, why was one side almost full and the other completely dry??

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
If condensation is the issue, why was one side almost full and the other completely dry??
If it is like mine, the shorter cap is sealed, & the longer one has a vent in it. In my case, the tractor lived outside, got water in it, then the PO painted the valve, sealing the vent & trapping the water in.

Jayhawk238

Equipment
2004 L5030 HST/CAB
Oct 30, 2010
Featherville, ID, United States
Yes its probably moisture in the control valve. I have the same problem on very cold mornings. Let it warm up for 15 minutes then its good to go. I drilled holes in the bottom cups of the control valve and got about 1/2 ounce of water but did not have time to remove and lube them yet.
Is there any chance you could post a picture where you drilled the hole?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The one i took apart, had the little balls for the detent. The one at the lowest point had rusted and shrunk. It fell out and was jamming the valve. I just pulled out offending ball, gave it some winter grease and all was good.

Plowing snow at -35 in the wind sucks. Moreso with no cab. Glad i quit that job. Froze my behind off last winter. Frequently.