New, new, new. N. California, B6100

hikerduane

Equipment
B6100, FEL
Nov 17, 2014
Meadow Valley, CA
Howdy! New here of course. I live in N CA mountains, just got a B6100 off my older brother, he only had it for a year and could not find a tiller for it. I didn't know he had it and snapped it up when he said he was going to sell. I was on my vacation at the time, visiting him and his wife in CO. It has sat outside it looks like for quite a bit, but the decals are still readable and it has 2166 hours now, paint is faded, a few dents on the fenders. It can use some TLC. I just changed the engine oil over the weekend and need to fix the 4X4 engagement before proceeding to the hydraulic/tranny oil. Hope to flush the cooling system this coming weekend and start cleaning off years of oil seepage around fittings. I have a owners manual ordered, so hope to see what some of the openings in the dash are for.

I hope to play with it a little for road maintenance on my acre and to relocate snow in the winter where/when needed. Have not operated a tractor since my neighbor passed on over 20 years ago and before that, as a kid in Modesto, CA on our peach orchard, then it was very little in the early '60's.

I garden, cut firewood, collect old camping stoves and lanterns as well as backpacking stoves. I have maybe 18 lanterns now and over 100 stoves. Looking forward to retiring in less than 4 years now. I go camping or backpacking most weekends, year round. I'm single, so can do as I please, money permitting. I've been to the coast a few times now the last couple summers with a friend on our motorcycles. Looking forward to more trips there when I retire.

Is there a fix to get the seat to go back further? Home made adapter? I'm 6' and have to lift a leg to get off the tractor. Small thing they are.
Duane

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No owner manual isn't going to tell you a whole lot.
Go to Kubotabooks.com and down load the WSM or service manual.
It's the one that says b5100_b7100 and is three parts.

hikerduane

Equipment
B6100, FEL
Nov 17, 2014
Meadow Valley, CA
I'm looking for basic info now. Looking to get a parts manual, I see the service manuals are a bit much. Maybe later, I'd be using stove acquisition money for a manual.
I found this forum when I was searching for info on seeing what to do with the lever for the 4X4 engagement.
Duane

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
If it sat outside for a long time it probably has water in the steering box. I think a B6100 has a drain on the steering box. Drain the oil out and check for rusty water. If any comes out the box should be disassembled cleaned and the bearings checked. This is a weak link on the older Kubotas. If water has gotten in and you don't deal with it, it will destroy the steering box, either by freezing and cracking the casting or rusting the lower bearing.

hikerduane

Equipment
B6100, FEL
Nov 17, 2014
Meadow Valley, CA
Thank you Sam, more stuff to dig into and learn. These are tractors, seems they'd be made to stay outside with no protection. It'll be spoiled now, as it is short enough to go in front of my pickup in the garage.
Duane

2fastinthepast

Equipment
Post hole digger, 36" Brush hog, 36" tiller
B6100

I took the wheels off my B6100d last night and noticed the front diff moves quite a bit (front to back) when I turn the wheel as well as it has as much play in the steering as an old Ford truck. The farmer I bought it from said it was inside all its life but I am going to check for water in the steering box too. Thanks for the tip. It also has liquid in the wheels and am not sure if I should take it out or just leave it in there.......

sandymac

Nov 2, 2013
By Glasgow
Re: B6100

I took the wheels off my B6100d last night and noticed the front diff moves quite a bit (front to back) when I turn the wheel as well as it has as much play in the steering as an old Ford truck. The farmer I bought it from said it was inside all its life but I am going to check for water in the steering box too. Thanks for the tip. It also has liquid in the wheels and am not sure if I should take it out or just leave it in there.......
You can tighten up the front to rear end play on the front axle. the axle pivot pin has a slotted nut that you can tighten to eliminate fore and aft play.

Sandy

hikerduane

Equipment
B6100, FEL
Nov 17, 2014
Meadow Valley, CA
Thanks Sandy, I noticed some slop in the front on mine, good info.
I got the lever to move that shifts the tractor into 4X4, but noticed after doing so, if I rock the tractor, I can't see the front drive line rotate. I'll have to investigate further.
Duane
PS: Well, I see the front drive line is in a housing, so I won't be able to see it turn. I'll have to jack it all up when I finish the latest servicing I'm doing to it.

Last edited:

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Duane,

Welcome to the site!

I'd advise you go back and re-read Wolf's post (post #2) regarding a manual. He directed you to a place where you can download the WSM for no cost. This will save you about $80. They likely also have an owner's manual and parts manual as well. It's hit and miss, but for free, no complaints. It's well worth your time as it will really help you as you work on the tractor.

Regarding a parts manual, if you go to Kubota.com, click on Parts and then click on Illustrated Parts Lists, after accepting the terms and entering your model number, you will have access to exploded diagrams and part numbers for your unit.

If you need parts, I'd recommend Messicks.com as it's easy to order online and their are prices cheaper. You can search the part numbers you look up to get pricing.

Enjoy the little beauty!

Kind regards,

Steve

Last edited:

hikerduane

Equipment
B6100, FEL
Nov 17, 2014
Meadow Valley, CA
Thank you for the welcome Steve. I talked to a lady at work who will print what I need. Told her I expect to pay. I've ordered a Owner's manual so far, so I'll have my co-worker print the other two, Parts and Service manuals. I expect if any shat hits the fan, it may be during a snow storm and I may not have puter access, although I have a generator. Not sure when I'll upgrade to a newer computer, later this winter, as soon as I really get tired of my slow dial up and 12 year old computer.
Duane