L245 Tachometer help please

Bfulme

Equipment
Kubota L2500DT W/Loader and backhoe: Kubota L245F
Jul 14, 2014
Houston, Arkansas
Hey guys. I know there are several threads on this subject and I think I have read all of them. My tach is broken at the part on the engine. I have taken this part off but I see no way to get the guts out. Someone posted a video link fron Vic on this subject but I could not get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I took the 4 10mm nuts off and gently popped off the drive unit. Mine snapped at the little metal tab that sticks into the injection pump piece. Scrapped off the grime and filled it with lithium grease and freed it up. My cable was not broken, but now is. Apparently after sitting in one position for 40 yrs it didnt like being moved. Ill be welding on a small washer to fix it up.

Bfulme

Equipment
Jul 14, 2014
Houston, Arkansas
Yes I got the drive unit off ok. The metal tab that goes into the injection pump in not sheared off. It turns freely but does not turn the part that the cable attaches to. So something is broken inside the drive unit itself. And I don't see any way to take that suker apart. I may just have to live with no Tachometer. Thanks

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You can get free parts manual from either www.messicks.com or www.kubotabooks.com.

And check out this thread. It should answer a lot of your questions. I replaced the unit on mine that bolts to the motor. Had build up the shaft end of the controller with some 3/8 id copper tubing crushed in a vice and installed with some hi strengh loctite to get it to the right thickness to mate with the shaft on the injection pump
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16107&highlight=tachometer

Bfulme

Equipment
Jul 14, 2014
Houston, Arkansas
Thanks Darren! Looks like I will be ordering the new part and making the modification as you did. I see you live in Conway. I live just over the Toad Suck bridge in Perry County and work in Conway. I may give you a shout if I run into any problems with the modification. Thanks again.

Bill

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
No problem, it was a fairly easy fix. I would check the online sources first. It's a special order through duncans and takes about the same time to get the part