Kubota l 35 Mystery Lever--Help!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
All tractors inevitably need to be split for some repair or replacement, it's just the nature of using their engines and transmissions as major frame components!

Like has been said before, they are built to do this but make certain you have all the parts on hand to put it back together and keep the different parts in different bins, label it all, because my Dad did not used to do this and he always misses something or has left over parts. I just look at him with the look that says 'Really?'. He now does it and doesn't miss anything. We also video the process so we can reverse it if need be.

I too have a nice inspection camera and it saves my bacon all the time with engine work! (Also finds keys and other things under furniture that is too heavy to move! LOL!)

daverd4

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2014
Hermiston Oregon
Thanks for the advice I'll drop the hoe off. Is it harder to split between the rear end and tranny then the motor and tranny like to put a clutch?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't think it's harder, in fact I thought it was easier when I did mine.;)

daverd4

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2014
Hermiston Oregon
Could you give me a quick list of what I need to remove be able to split it at the rear end and tranny other then the hoe. Do the sub frames come off fenders, floor board, seat, ROPs, etc.

daverd4

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2014
Hermiston Oregon
Well splitting the L35 was a way bigger job then I thought it would be. Looked like it might be pretty easy till the side cover on the transmission had to come off just to unhook the shifting fork in the rear section. So off came the ROPs the left rear tire and left sub frame.

Attachments

Al/Lindley

Jan 26, 2013
Lindley New York
Hey Daverd4
Wow!looks lie a huge job!. Can you take more pictures of the inside of the transaxle? ( if you still have it apart.)
I am still interested in seeing what the pedal on the left side of the floor of the tractor actually does. It somehow disengages the 4 wd. i'd love to see the gear that the floor lever engages with.
I never did anything about mine. Its stuck in 4 wd and works fine. I just cant drive down the road in high gear....Oh well
I may try it in the spring
Al

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Al,

Been following along...

Nothing helpful to add except one thread somewhere on this forum showed a guy who had welded up "training wheels" for both ends of his tractor so that splitting the machine was relatively easy on smooth concrete. Getting it back together would probably require a come-along.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

daverd4

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2014
Hermiston Oregon
Al Got it back together Saturday so can't take more pictures. It's a big job you need to take the left sub frame off to get the side off the GST to take a shift fork loose to split the tractor. I think the hardest part was the floor sheet metal. The problem was the arm that goes through the case and goes in to the grove in the gear was ground off so it just flopped around. The gear was fine ordered a new one to compare with the old one they were the same spec's so for $240 sent it back. To split it I just put a jack and jack stands under the front half and a floor jack under the center of the back half and rolled it apart. I would not use a come a long to put it back together as if everything is lined up it will just slide together there are several bearings to line up and could not be forced together. Make sure its on a flat concrete surface. It took me a little over 20 hrs. to do it and you will need help with the ROPs and sub frame as there heavy.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 question, was it worth it for you to do your own repair?
The answer is almost always yes around here, save money and learn a little more about the inner workings! ;)

daverd4

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2014
Hermiston Oregon
I would absolutely do it again learned a lot about my new to me tractor. A lot of work but saved me around $2,000 in labor and I'm very picky how clean things are when going back together. I had $761 in new parts but that was new front spindle seals and new tail lights and new oil and filters O-rings and shift lever. And if I had to do it again I could do it in a little over half the time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That's the same way I feel about doing my own work! :D

I can completely split mine in about 2 hours, Knock on wood, I hope to not have to do it to this one again anytime soon! ;)

daverd4

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2014
Hermiston Oregon
I forgot to explain why it might have happened in my opinion. The 4WD lever when pushed down to disengage will go passed the detent there fore the weight of the lever is pushing the end that goes in the grove against the side of the grove there for just grinding it off over time. Just my opinion.