engineer mess ups

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Oil filter location. I actually think most Kubota's have a decent filter location. Ever do any automotive work? I have one that I'd like to seriously beat the engineer with a used hot oil filter.
I haven't worked on any newer vehicles but I feel that way about the 87 F150 4wd. The only way I can figure to get the filter out is from the top, and you have to dump the contents out in the mean time. If you need to loosen with a wrench, you pretty much have to do that from underneath. That's not the only engineering on that truck that I've shaken my head at.

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
I don't find the seat an issue, unless i forget to tilt it up. I usually do, since prior to about a month ago my tractor was stored outside and I didn't like have a wet seat, so out of habit it's flipped up.
Filter locations, well, the BX has 2 fuel filters, one is in a really bad spot, IMO.

Now, on cars, my wife's subaru. The oil filter is between two exhaust manifold tubes. good luck getting that out if those are hot. Now, i like the oil filter on my tundra, just hate having to remove the skid plate every time.

Headlights - on the subaru you pretty much need to remove the assembly from the car to change the bulb (yeah, there are directions to do through the wheel well, but your arm need about 2 more joints to get through all the angles). To remove the headlight assembly, you have to remove the bumper. I had to go through all of this because her car kept blowing bulbs (no matter what type), and the last time I changed the bulb I broke the wire retaining clip. No fixing that, you have to replace the entire assembly. Ugh. Since I had the front end out, I switched her low/high beams to LED's, no issues since.

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The best engineering class I ever took we spent the first part of the semester learning the metal shop (arc welding, acetylene torch, bending, etc). The next part of the semester we learned drawing in AutoCAD. Then for the final project we had to design something in AutoCAD and actually build it in the metal shop. This is where you learn that just because you can draw it doesn't mean you can build it and just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it actually works. That class should be mandatory for all engineers, even electrical, software, etc because the lesson carries.

The guy who decided to put the oil filter above the front axle of my Ram 1500 obviously never took that class. What a mess changing the filter.

As for the black seat, the previous owner of my B2910 left me his "custom" seat cover. He took a towel and stitched two corners about half way down the towel. The folded over half of the towel slides over the back of the seat and the arm rests go through the "sleeves" made by the stitched corners. The other half lays on the seat. I thought it was pretty silly and ugly, so I took it off and set it aside... until my first summer using the tractor. It's not pretty, but it's cheap, washable and I don't burn my a$$ when I sit down.

Gary

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
My only complaints on my tractor so far would be these two things

1.) (Already mentioned) The oil filter is horizontal right above the front axle, a few wires, and some connectors. Oil dumps out all over that stuff

2.) (And there may be a very good reason for this one, I'm just complaining) It seems like they assembled the engine in its entirety, then powercoated/painted everything all at once. Everything that's brand new takes a little extra "umph" to break loose because of the coating.

BONUS 3.) The headlights are right behind the bucket. Absolutely worthless.