L3730 GST Running Hot?

Camdenites

Equipment
L3730GST
Jul 24, 2017
Camden, Al, USA
I have an early 90's model L3730GSt 4x4 that has been a great tractor. Over the last several summers it has started to run hot when breaking deer plots or mowing when in the alabama heat. At first you could clean the radiator screen and it would correct the problem, but then you had to keep the screen clean and take the side motor covers off. It seems to have gotten worse over the last few years. I have recently blown the radiator clean with compressed air with no positive results, and pulled the thermostat and tested it in a pot of water on the stove. We placed a thermometer i the water to monitor and the thermostat opened at 160 degrees. I'm now wondering if the sensor could be bad, but I'd really like to get some advice here on what to check next.

Thank you!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Ok,
you cleaned the outside? YOU clean the inside? If not, run some vinegar through it, heat it up, rinse, do it again, and then add a smidge of baking soda and wash and empty again.
Place 100% in it - run the hell out of it. What cha got? If better - you have helped. IF not you have more problems.

Get an infrared thermometer and check the upper radiator and lower radiator .....compare - report back with your findings.

Check to see if water pump belt is tight too. Check fan blades, dirty ones will not move the same amount of air as clean ones!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd suggest removing the radiator and thoroughly clean in from the fan side. You may be surprised what happens when you get all the "stuff" freed up that gets into the fins. After 25 years, it's like a good back rub for your engine!!:D

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I, being someone that has lost an engine due to heat, always remove a questionable radiator for cleaning. I put it in a wheel barrow full of water and Dawn liquid and slosh it up and down hard. I do that after an overnight soak. When I get through, I hold it up to the sun and look for light through all the ports. It's amazing how much crap builds up in them. It's really a project but would probably only need to be done one every 5 years or so. Tell me i'm nuts but it helps me sleep at night. Keep in mind that my rental machines are subject to a lot more hours than most.