M9960 Red (engine?) light stays on

josephny

Equipment
M9960 KX41-2
Jul 23, 2017
Sullivan County, NY
I have a 2015 M9960 with about 300 hours.

The past couple of days I've ignored the regeneration beeping and not the red engine light is on permanently and the beeping is (about) every second.

When I push the regeneration button, nothing happens (no light, no regen process).

When I push the regen inhibit button, it lights up.

Can someone please help me fix (reset) this?

Thank you!

Joe

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
It sounds like you may need to do a parked regen. Look it up in your owners manual and follow the instructions and let it do it's thing or eventually it will cost you $$$$ if you keep ignoring it.

Sounds like you are in either PM Warning 3 or 4 right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

josephny

Equipment
M9960 KX41-2
Jul 23, 2017
Sullivan County, NY
It sounds like you may need to do a parked regen. Look it up in your owners manual and follow the instructions and let it do it's thing or eventually it will cost you $$$$ if you keep ignoring it.

Thanks for the quick response!

I'd like to do a parked regen, but if I understand correctly, it's just pressing the regen button and that doesn't do anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Look in your owners manual, there are step by step instructions for doing a parked regen.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
You really should read the DPF System status chart for your tractor (in your owners manual) to see which level you are in as it may differ from mine. Follow the required procedure for the stage you are in and hopefully it isn't level 4 yet.

Last edited:

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Did you reference your manual?

Oh and by the way per your original post you "do not" want to press the Regen Inhibit button right now.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If the engine light is on continuously and not blinking, per the L60 series manual, you are in level 4. Stop tractor and call dealer if you don't want a really expensive repair.

If it is still blinking you may be able to get it to regen by yourself. But you will have to do a parked regen. This involves more than just pushing a button. If you have the manual read the directions, if not we'll type them out for you from ours, but neither 8up nor I have exactly the same tractor, and there are subtle differences in the models, so it would be better if you had an M60 manual to look at.

By ignoring the lights that long you have caused yourself some unnecessary grief, and may have screwed the pooch (to borrow an expression from the younger generation:D) Keep us posted and let us know what information you need to understand the directions.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Sounds like it's in a DPF soot level 4 or 5.

Kubota's diagmaster software will tell you, but to my knowlege it's not available to the public (dealer only I think).

If in fact you're getting a beep every second, it's level 4 or level 5, both of which require the DPF to be removed and professionally cleaned, or replaced. Whichever is cheaper for you. Be advised that if it has to be replaced, the dealer has to jump through hoops to order a new one, thanks to the EPA, and it'll take a little longer to get one shipped for that reason.

How does it get to the level 4 or 5? By running it without a regen. At level 2 1/2 it will start to beep once every 5 seconds to remind the operator that the DPF is getting dirty. At level 3, it will continue to beep and will de-rate the horsepower.

Could be other things too but the beep gives it away as a DPF issue. Does yours have DEF fluid as well? If it does, it could be in the DEF tank, pump, heater system too. Need diagmaster to find out. HOPEFULLY someone didn't put diesel into the DEF tank.....

josephny

Equipment
M9960 KX41-2
Jul 23, 2017
Sullivan County, NY
Oh no! I really created a problem for myself.

First, thank you all very much.

Am I understanding this correctly that I have no option but to call the dealer for a service call?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Oh no! I really created a problem for myself.

First, thank you all very much.

Am I understanding this correctly that I have no option but to call the dealer for a service call?
Probably, but it all depends on what soot level the tractor has reached. None of us has your tractor. You will probably only see Level 5 that lugbolt mentions if you have the WSM, it doesn't appear in the operator's manual. If the tractor has reached either level 4 or level 5 you need the dealer. If still in level 3 you can do a parked regen. You need your manual for directions. The directions are also sometimes written briefly on a sticker on the fender or in the cab. They include things like putting tractor in neutral, wheels straight ahead, parking brake on, pto off, rpm set at idle, lower implements, etc. The inhibit regeneration switch should NOT be on. Then when the light on the parked regen switch begins to blink, press the button, and it should automatically to raise the rpm and start the regen. Don't interrupt it! It can't start the regen until it is warmed up.

You can get a copy of the operators manual for a small sum on the Kubota website or from your dealer if yours is lost.

Given the cost of getting it wrong you might be better off calling the dealer.

Life is really easier if you are able to let it do an auto regen while you are working.

Last edited:

josephny

Equipment
M9960 KX41-2
Jul 23, 2017
Sullivan County, NY
I just spoke with a local dealer.

Between $500-$600 to come out (lots of travel time and mileage), reset the computer and force a regen.

Is there a scanner and software I can buy so I can do this myself (this time and what will probably be next time)?

Thanks!

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
I just spoke with a local dealer.

Between $500-$600 to come out (lots of travel time and mileage), reset the computer and force a regen.

Is there a scanner and software I can buy so I can do this myself (this time and what will probably be next time)?

Thanks!

Only available to dealers as far as I know and it's probably more than the cost to have them come out and do it.

As Sheepfarmer, myself and others have asked before.....do you have the owners manual for your tractor?

josephny

Equipment
M9960 KX41-2
Jul 23, 2017
Sullivan County, NY
Only available to dealers as far as I know and it's probably more than the cost to have them come out and do it.

As Sheepfarmer, myself and others have asked before.....do you have the owners manual for your tractor?

Yes, I have the manual and have read the section on regen.

It's not perfectly clear, but I have tried to do a parked regeneration and it does not work -- that is, it will not regenerate.

There is a regen inhibit button, an rpm button, and a auto-regen button (at least I think that's what the button is).

The auto-regen button will not light up when pressed and the red engine light on the dash is on all the time and the beeping is every second.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ok your panel is enough different from ours that I think we can't help you. The only other thing you could do is post pictures of the directions for yours for parked regen and the table, and maybe I can spot something that you are or aren't doing that is preventing it from doing a parked regen. We will also n,eed to see the pictures that id the lights and the buttons. And it would be helpful to other readers if you can spell out how you got into this predicament. Kubotas directions are difficult to understand. I finally wrote up a new user set for the L60s, sticky at the top of Operating forum, but it might not help you.

But if your tables of the stages firmly state that if the check engine light is on solidly you need the laptop, there is nothing we can do. If you did not run it too much in this state, your dealer should be able to get it to regen. If the problem is not due to your mistakes, it should still be under warranty.

That is a lot for a service call, no one closer?

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Without more detailed info I agree with Sheepfarmer we are probably beyond helping you resolve this issue.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Level 4 and 5 will not regenerate, not parked, not forced.

SOMETIMES level 4 can be forced to regen successfully, but again, requires diagmaster. I've had VERY little success forcing a level 4 regen. Usually have to remove/bake the DPF at that point.

Programmer? Probably so. Do your own research on it and keep in mind that the US EPA has laws; which is why all this stuff is on the tractor to begin with. So you could potentially be committing a federal crime in removing/disabling it.

By the way, the L-01 series also has the same basic DPF soot levels. Just did a level 5 on a 3901 recently, had to remove the DPF and send it off to be baked clean. Then when reinstalling there is some more programming to do via diagmaster software. Just like diesel trucks, the days of working on stuff yourself are coming to an end, unfortunately.

Wonder if any warranty might apply in your case?

8upbowhunter

Equipment
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Level 4 and 5 will not regenerate, not parked, not forced.

SOMETIMES level 4 can be forced to regen successfully, but again, requires diagmaster. I've had VERY little success forcing a level 4 regen. Usually have to remove/bake the DPF at that point.

Programmer? Probably so. Do your own research on it and keep in mind that the US EPA has laws; which is why all this stuff is on the tractor to begin with. So you could potentially be committing a federal crime in removing/disabling it.

By the way, the L-01 series also has the same basic DPF soot levels. Just did a level 5 on a 3901 recently, had to remove the DPF and send it off to be baked clean. Then when reinstalling there is some more programming to do via diagmaster software. Just like diesel trucks, the days of working on stuff yourself are coming to an end, unfortunately.

Wonder if any warranty might apply in your case?
Not doubting you but my L-01 only lists up to level 4 in the manual at which point you park it and call the dealer. What is a level 5? They probably just don't list it in the manual because if you get to level 4 you have pretty much screwed yourself already.