Need Advise

Brian O

Equipment
B2630
Mar 16, 2016
Peoria, AZ
New user to what seems to be a great site, I have a B2630 HSD with a serial number of 51Q73. First off, is there a way to tell me what year this is from the serial number?

Secondly my problem, when I got it a year or so ago, it had great power steering, I tossed a spinner on it and was off to the races. recently, the power steering/power assist has ceased to work, drives like my old ford giving you a great forearm workout but certainly not optimal. Did some research and tackled the painful task of disassembling the entire dash to get to where the power steering system lives (at least I think) Looking at a round cylinder with 4 metal hydraulic lines going into the bottom (some horrible engineering at work with this design)

So my question is this, I called the dealer to check on the part and almost choked. Part number 6C200-41100 is selling for right around $850.... What the hell!!! So I am wondering, Kubota does not list a rebuild kit or anything like that. Is there anything I can do once I get it pulled off? Are there any parts in there that may be serviceable? Essentially, does anyone have any ideas on my options other than dishing out a bunch of cash or should I get used to getting my forearms worked out when I want to get some work done.

I am hoping that the fact that something is wrong with the power steering will not lead to more damage to other components, as far as I understand, all the hydraulic components use the same system, ie transmission, steering, gannon and loader all operate with the same fluid/system.

Any suggestions you all have would be most appreciated.

Best regards, Brian

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So my question is this, I called the dealer to check on the part and almost choked. Part number 6C200-41100 is selling for right around $850.... What the hell!!! So I am wondering, Kubota does not list a rebuild kit or anything like that. Is there anything I can do once I get it pulled off? Are there any parts in there that may be serviceable? Essentially, does anyone have any ideas on my options other than dishing out a bunch of cash or should I get used to getting my forearms worked out when I want to get some work done.

I am hoping that the fact that something is wrong with the power steering will not lead to more damage to other components, as far as I understand, all the hydraulic components use the same system, ie transmission, steering, gannon and loader all operate with the same fluid/system.
A tractor that costs $16,000 (new) is going to have some $800 parts in it. ;)
That steering controller is not able to be rebuild, hence no available rebuild kit.
You could have one like mine that is rebuild able but it's twice the cost as yours.

Yes a bad / worn / damaged part anywhere in the hydraulic system can damage other hydraulic components! :eek:

Now lets look a little deeper, have you tested the power steering systems flow and pressure?
Or did you assume that since the loader, three point and transmission are working fine then there is no problem with the hydraulic pump?
If you did, it's a bad assumption, as the power steering gets it flow and pressure from a different pump section than the rest of the systems.

So before diving into replacing parts blindly do yourself a favor and get the WSM (P/N 9Y011-13294) (~$102.00) and test system. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
That a new tractor has some $800 parts is an excellent point. However, it is hard to swallow their not being repairable. I run into that often. I had a man lift with a leaking pump seal. The only way to get the seal was to buy the pump. $600.00 later the machine was fixed. All that for a 27 cent seal. Bummer.

oregunGuy

Equipment
Kubota b2630 BH75 tiller sickle bar mower brush hog box blade post auger ...
Jun 6, 2017
Banks
Here is what I have figured out so far:

Short answer, YES you can rebuild them.

The b2630 uses a Danfoss OSPM 50 ON 150L0177 steering control. Danfoss sells rebuild kits for similar units, but this one is proprietary and the kit is not available for sale. Danfoss says have to go the the equipment mfg for support/parts, however, Kubota only sells the entire unit.

Mine started leaking so I removed it and tore it apart. This is easily rebuildable but finding seals has been time-consuming. I'll post more on the seals when I find them and get my steering working.

I can only speculate as to why Kubota does this.
I would also like to choke the engineer that designed the steering column.
Maybe I'll look at massey ferguson next time as I have seen rebuild kits for their danfoss steering controllers.

To address the theory of operation on this power steering. This steering control unit is essentially a small hydraulic pump. There is no mechanical linkage (rack-n-pinion) like a car. The hydraulic pressure from another pump assists in steering, but you can steer without the motor running. It is pretty cool how the self-centering valve works on the inside.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
There isn't much that is inexpensive to replace on these tractors, and that goes for any manufacturer.

oregunGuy

Equipment
Kubota b2630 BH75 tiller sickle bar mower brush hog box blade post auger ...
Jun 6, 2017
Banks
Success!

I found the seal kit and was able to repair my steering pump.

The kit can be ordered from Midwest Steering and was $63 with shipping
SK143 Seal Kit for Sauer Danfoss OSPM (Set of seals 150L4054)
https://www.midweststeering.com/

There are other places you can order the kit. http://www.bfpna.com/

When putting you pump back together some things to note:
Mark the alignment of the connections on the pump so you won't have to figure it out when re-assembling.
Align the gear wheel according to the service manual or it won't work.
DO NOT use the torque values in the service manual for the hydraulic fittings (Special screws 30Nm). The fittings will stretch and break. And I could not find a place to order these fittings. I had to tig weld mine.

Service manual
http://files.danfoss.com/documents/ospm mini steering unit service manual/520l0454.pdf

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
oregunGuy, that's being persistent. How did you finally find out where/how to order the parts you needed? That's impressive.

i have a pump on a 730 Case that is kinda the same way. Can't find parts to rebuild, so just go to the dealer and buy new. BUT they always want a core. Now what do they do with the core":rolleyes:

Moderators need to put oregunGuy's info. in a "sticky", or whatever it's called!!

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Success!

I found the seal kit and was able to repair my steering pump.

The kit can be ordered from Midwest Steering and was $63 with shipping
SK143 Seal Kit for Sauer Danfoss OSPM (Set of seals 150L4054)
https://www.midweststeering.com/

There are other places you can order the kit. http://www.bfpna.com/

When putting you pump back together some things to note:
Mark the alignment of the connections on the pump so you won't have to figure it out when re-assembling.
Align the gear wheel according to the service manual or it won't work.
DO NOT use the torque values in the service manual for the hydraulic fittings (Special screws 30Nm). The fittings will stretch and break. And I could not find a place to order these fittings. I had to tig weld mine.

Service manual
http://files.danfoss.com/documents/ospm mini steering unit service manual/520l0454.pdf
I know this thread is old but hopefully you get this. I am going through the same issue with b2400. How did you find out the controller manufacturer and number.
Thanks keith

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I know this thread is old but hopefully you get this. I am going through the same issue with b2400. How did you find out the controller manufacturer and number.
Thanks keith
As Dave_eng explained in the other thread, a B2400 has a power steering box. I see that Kubota calls it a controller in the parts description but it is totally different than what this thread is talking about. Now it is possible that someone converted your tractor from a power steering box to a hydraulic system with a controller. But not very likely.
Is there a drag link going from the left front wheel back to the section under the steering wheel? If yes then you have the original style of power steering box. Not what people would normally call a steering controller.