engineer mess ups

mememe

Equipment
b7800
Nov 21, 2015
Lewisberry
What's with yellow dip sticks on clear fluids?
How about Black seat's in the 90*+ heat?
I had to put a John Deer yellow seat cover on my seat so I would not burn my ass.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
What's with yellow dip sticks on clear fluids?
How about Black seat's in the 90*+ heat?
I had to put a John Deer yellow seat cover on my seat so I would not burn my ass.
rotflmao... little petty dont ya think... all joking aside, i do agree with you.

Clear fluids over any color will still be a problem to see it... so, not much you can do about that.

Black seats... its the cheapest material to cover a seat... its all about saving the company money.

It is what it is... and i dont see many any other companies doing anything much different.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
They definitely got it backwards. How about Kubota Orange seats and a black dip stick? In fact they should market orange seat covers, another revenue stream, I am a marketing genius, lol.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
A black dipstick would make it harder to see the color of the fluid. You need to see the color of the fluid to determine if you are over-heating the transmission and burning the fluid. Also, I think that yellow would make it easier to see when the fluid is getting discolored and needs to be changed.

NewtoOrange

Equipment
L2501
Mar 1, 2017
Pleasant Plains, Il. USA
L2501 here, just did 50 hour service. How about filters that mount horizontal ? Not like there is not enough room to make them vertical so as not to lose so much fluid when changing. Best one was engine oil filter mounted horizontal over the front axle so just let that oil run down. Engineers, I swear they never work on or own anything they have ever designed.:eek:

Utopia Texas

Equipment
Kubota B2650/Kubota L6060
Jun 14, 2017
Brookshire & Cat Spring, Texas
I keep a small plastic container with tight lid full of baby powder in my barn.
Take the oil dip stick and wipe with a paper towel, then dip into the baby powder and tap excess off. There will be a very thin layer of the powder left on the dip stick. Then reinsert, pull out and get a clear concise reading on the dip stick.
Learned this from a 90 year old neighbor back in the 1950's. And no the powder on the dip stick will not make your engine blow up! :) Just wipe it off before returning to the tube......

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Let us mechanics design the things.

They'll weigh at least 10,000 lbs, they'll cost $100,000+, they'll be ugly as heck, but functional and easy to work on. But will the masses buy something like that?

I don't like a lot of things but I can tell you that the engineers have a tough job to do.

I have a JD and the seat is every bit as hot as the Kubota seat is. Flip the seat up so the sun don't hit it directly. Dipsticks. Yeah I don't like them, but JD ain't any better. I think they should have remained metal but apparently metal costs a little more, and when (if) it breaks, plastic does a lot less damage when it gets tossed between gear teeth.

Oil filter location. I actually think most Kubota's have a decent filter location. Ever do any automotive work? I have one that I'd like to seriously beat the engineer with a used hot oil filter. Most new cars require removal of a belly pan. But for the most part Kubota's are about as good as anyone elses in that department. Couple of the M's are kinda tough to get off. Hydraulic filters are always the same on most of them. Try changing the filters on a bigger M (70hp+), you lose most of the fluid within seconds and it makes a BIG mess. Did an L48 today, same deal. Messy.

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
I don't know. I wear jeans most of the time. Even in summer. I also have a prostate the size of a small township so I kind of like the heat! :)

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
How about making udt2 a nice orange, well I think that fits, not unlike ATF but not ATF red. I agree with everyone but let me ask a rhetorical question; who drives a vette? The older guy, who runs most of these beasts, older guys, who do their best to see with x focal glasses. I know the younger folks will come out but it is true for the most part.

Who engineers this stuff; college grads; again, for the most part. I work with a bunch of them even today, brilliant persons but they just don't see real world problems. They will regret their decisions later when they are older. Brilliant they are and I am honored to work with them. Young they are, they can't help that. Sorry, did not mean to speak like Yoda.

For the record my daily driver is a Jeep Liberty CRD; God help you finding one of those now a days. My dad's, believe it or not a 1967 Camaro with a 700 HP 572 CI fuel injected big block and 700r4 tranny and my crazy thinking a Ford 9" rear end. He could of had a 12 bolt chevy rear. Anyway; it gets about 10 mpg if not getting on it. His gift to him as he moves on. He doesn't drive tractors or weld anymore, who cares, he is 80. He always has a smile when I see him.

Point is, engineers there are two things, please help us work on these and don't make it so we can't tell if the fluids are up. We love them and actually want to take care of them.

Does anyone actually know if Kubota Corp. monitors anything we say?

Semper fi,

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
As an engineer I spent 37 years in power plants trying to make equipment idiot proof. From experience you cannot engineer out stupid. The blame falls on both sides and from the engineer's prospective at least 90 to 10 percent, operator to engineer..:D

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Okay, there is a lot of engineer bashing in this thread. Although I am not a mechanical engineer, I am a telecommunications engineer. so, as an engineer, even in a different field, I will say that much of the blame for so called engineer screw-ups falls squarely on the shoulders of lawyers. That's right, blame lawyers. Much of the engineering we do is because some crackpot has hurt himself doing something stupid and they sued the manufacturer. Because of this, we have to try to engineer against stupid. Most of the time the result is what normal people would call stupid engineering. So the next time that you see something that seems to have been engineered by a drunken idiot, blame a lawyer.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
rotflmao... little petty dont ya think... all joking aside, i do agree with you.

Black seats... its the cheapest material to cover a seat... its all about saving the company money.

I don't know if it's cheaper... but they don't have to hear complaints about stains. I either park in the shade, or tip the seat up... that keeps it from getting hot.

As far as the yellow dip stick... it makes it easy to find, and the manual can say... "Pull the yellow dip stick to check." So it was by design. I personally don't have an issue. Just dry it off very well, dip... and you can see the oil in the checks.

My only complaint would be the fan. It's a known weak point, and hard to replace. I've been trying to leave my MMM on as much as I can, to protect it... but that's not always possible. They need to release a split fan. Or, they need to make the drive shaft sliding.

I do have a question on the fan...... When it spits off a blade... does the operator really not know it happened? (banging sound, white plastic on the ground, or vibration?) I guess I need to go look to see if mine is still in there.

mfljr

Apr 7, 2016
TX
<SNIP> So the next time that you see something that seems to have been engineered by a drunken idiot, blame a lawyer.
While I will agree that lawyers are generally the source of all stupid in the world, most of the complaining that we are doing here is not lawyer related.

For example,

Oil filters that mount facing down so all the old oil runs out all over whatever you're working on - not lawyers

Starter motor installed under the intake manifold of a v-8 engine - not lawyers

Feel free to blame lawyers for whatever you want, but be honest about things and you'll see that many of the things we complain about are not because of lawyers. These things happen because whoever did the designing of the part/assembly has no context of the problems that go along with their design decisions.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
1+3=4

5-2=3

7+3=10

8-4=3

6+7=13

So the average person looks at those simple math equations and makes a comment. Hey, hey, hey, you've got one wrong! Well, 80% of them are correct, but we focus on whats' wrong.

It happens everywhere in life.

Build a house, then after you move in you comment about something that would be better if......this was done.

Every one wants something perfect. If things were made perfect the first time, there would be no prototypes, only perfection.

And you wouldn't have a job because everything is perfect and you're not needed!!:D:D