Zerk fitting/motion control pedal

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
Can't get any grease into the zerk fitting on my BX1500 motion control pedal. Pull the fitting and replace or does this older style pedal have a history of rejecting grease?

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Not familiar with your model, but this symptom is common to grease fittings that have dried grease internally blocking the new grease from entering. Remove the zerk, put the grease gun on it and see if the grease moves thru. If it does, the zerk is good. Check the hole that the zerk goes into and remove any dried up crud in there, till you see the metal surface at the bottom of the hole. Reinstall the zerk and you should be good to go.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Most zerk fittings contain a spring-loaded steel ball that seals it closed. The spring is supposed to allow the steel ball to push back when grease is pumped. Sometimes this steel ball will stick and refuse to allow grease to enter.

Before removing the zerk.... you can try to free-up the steel ball by gently pushing something into it. (corner of small screwdriver, tip of small drill...etc)

Once the steel ball is free, the grease usually will flow into it just fine.

If you end up removing the zerk, try soaking it in something to help free it up. (carburetor cleaner, wd40...etc)

Worst case, you can replace the zerk. You can purchase a bunch of zerks from Tractor Supply for a few dollars. (Straight, 45 and 90 degree angle)

BEWARE: Kubota may use METRIC-threadded zerk fittings which are harder to find. (This is why I suggest trying to free-up the ball)

Vacula

Equipment
BX1500, LA181, 54" MMM, JohnnyPlow Sr, Heavy Hitch, Box Scraper
May 10, 2017
Clinton County, PA
Thanks Bruce. That's what I found out. It is stuck and all my zerks are SAE and do not fit the pedal. Will need to go to the dealer for a replacement.
Thanks!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Around here O'Reilly Automotive has a package of metric grease fittings. I'm sure NAPA does also. I'd say check your local auto parts stores.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
You should be able to get a variety pack of zerks at farm or auto stores. For no more than what they cost there's really no need to try to save an old one unless it's difficult to remove. Take the old one out and see if it will work then, if not replace. Sometimes you just have to get the dried up mess behind it out. While it's out make sure to clean out the hole where it goes.