Fuel Gage on L2501

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
I'm curious if everyone's fuel gage works like mine, or if mine is defective. When the gage reads about 1/8 full, I dump 5 gallons of fuel in the tank and then the gage reads full.

Is this normal?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
How big is the fuel tank on the tractor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I'm curious if everyone's fuel gage works like mine, or if mine is defective. When the gage reads about 1/8 full, I dump 5 gallons of fuel in the tank and then the gage reads full.

Is this normal?
While that may be a little off, it is not unusual.

My tractor has the same 10 gallon tank and when it reads about a 1/4 of a tank, 5 gallons will fill it.

I was told by my dealer that they do read lower than the actual amount as the tank empties and that is to help owners not to run out of fuel because of how hard it is to start a tractor after it runs out of fuel.

tmstractor

Equipment
MX5200HST ,6FT Til,,6ft Rake, 6ft BB, 6ft Flail Mow,PH Dig, Brush HOG,PForks
Aug 3, 2015
North Alabama
I noticed that on my L3901 yesterday when fuel gauge was down to 1/8. Put five gallons in, now it shows full.

NewtoOrange

Equipment
L2501
Mar 1, 2017
Pleasant Plains, Il. USA
Have just passed 50 hours on my L2501. Ran that thing down to just touching the E. Manual says 10 gallon tank. I put in 7gal and it was topped off. Now the temptation will be to see how long I can go on "E" ! I think it is a guy thing kinda like asking for directions. :eek:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Look closely at the SHAPE of the fuel tank, specifically from top to bottom. It's not square, not at all. The top is bigger than the bottom, sorta like an upside down triangle. That's one reason the sending unit reads the way it does.

My Mustang is kind of like that. Goes 240 miles before the needle comes off of F, then another 200 until it hits "E", or dies, whichever comes first.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
I just had the "opportunity" to rework the sending unit of the fuel level indicator on an older B7200.
The mechanism is quite simple. A float, on a lever arm that moves a wiper across a wire wound bobbin.

In my case, the wiper was lacking tension against the wire windings. A simple bending of the supporting chassis has everything in order.

In the case of a pessimistic indication, There is ample opportunity to "bend the float lever arm, or adjust the wiper to make contact "differently".

A bench set up could fine tune the assembly to read just about any variance of "How you like it".

A rougher approach could be executed just by pulling the sensor and working from the present condition.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
Yes yours is normal but I agree normal is not right. My 2501 does the same thing and I thought my gauge was bad and after research for this i found that is what it does. I just keep mine full now so I do get condensation and don't have to worry about running out of fuel.

quicktractor

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Jul 27, 2017
Flagstaff
Same on my L2501. I was about ready to call the dealer and then looked at a drawing of the tank. As was said above, I think it is a linear gauge on a very non-linear (odd-shaped) tank. I put 5 gallons in when the gauge is between 1/2 and 1/4. Keeps it from going empty.
Also, after seeing it on another thread, I spent $7 at Harbor Freight and bought a shaker siphon. Glad I did with every fill-up.