Battery Maintenance

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
This is my first diesel and from what I understand a strong battery is essential because the starting is a whole different animal than gas engines. I keep my tractor in the barn with my ATVs. The ATVs are set up with quick connects to the batteries and I alternate plugging them in to my YUSA 12V900 charger/maintainer, pretty easy and don't have to mess with alligator clips. Anybody have their Kubota with a quick connect on the battery? I have an extra heavy duty set that came with a charger so was thinking of putting it on the tractor and putting it in the charge rotation.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This is my first diesel and from what I understand a strong battery is essential because the starting is a whole different animal than gas engines. I keep my tractor in the barn with my ATVs. The ATVs are set up with quick connects to the batteries and I alternate plugging them in to my YUSA 12V900 charger/maintainer, pretty easy and don't have to mess with alligator clips. Anybody have their Kubota with a quick connect on the battery? I have an extra heavy duty set that came with a charger so was thinking of putting it on the tractor and putting it in the charge rotation.
I own three of these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LX3AS...ery+tender&pd_rd_r=9R87ASGMJDJR6C29EPB1&psc=1

some are permanently hooked to battery, others are switched out between several batteries. I have had good luck with these charger/maintainers.

You are right about having a strong battery - diesels are a little harder to spin at 450 psi or more.:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a maintainer very similar to 85Hokie's but it's branded as Stanley, I think. I like them because they have a magnet on the back of the case.

My L4240 has the battery near the front. So I connected the provided pigtail to the battery and let in hang out a few inches in the front. I put the maintainer on the loader tower and it hangs by it's magnet. It makes it an easy reminder to unplug before I get on the seat.

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
I have a quick connect on my Kubota 2230, and a 4x4 Toyota with dual batteries that has rather low miles per year use..

I've been a long term user of Battery Minders with good results. http://www.batteryminders.com/

For Big Blue (my old Ford Tractor), I put 175amp Anderson connectors on the tractor and on a small enough to easily carry, but big enough flooded cell battery I use with the tractor and also for an engine powered welder/generator. When that battery is not being used, it is stored in the basement plugged into a battery bank that runs a fairly large UPS for all the house electronics, phones, emergency lightning and security system.

I've had the removable tractor battery last as long as 14 years, due to the relatively constant temperature storage, and when idle in storage being hooked up to a commercial UPS system using more advanced charging methodologies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ90zfF8Wz4&t=0s I learned about this while working in this field for about 10 years.

Pulse charging methodologies such as the Battery Minders are very effective in maintaining and giving an increased battery life.

Last edited:

fender76

Equipment
B7100HST
May 24, 2017
Missouri
Yes, a battery will last much longer w/a maintainer. Look at C-TEKs, starting about $80. They come standard on Aston Martin, Ferrari, Porsche etc. Roger

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Today I wired in the pig tail, it was not long enough so I added part of an old power cord I had laying around, only 16 gauge but should be okay with my maintainers, the biggest one is 1.5 amps and the one I will be using is the 900 most of the time. I could go with a larger gauge cable. Just plugged it in and it charged for a while and then went to maintain, working as it should so will put the Kubota into the rotation to keep everything charged. These are the maintainers I will be using:

Attachments