rear seals on bx2230 loose/leaking

quimbly

Equipment
bx2230 2006 with loader
May 4, 2009
erie PA
Hi all, hope you can help was cutting the grass this weekend and seen the left rear axle seal was loose and leaking fluid... simply enough I re-seated the seal to the axle casing with my hands and started the tractor back up and the leaking stopped. Filled the transmission back up with fluid and wiped down the axle and rim to see if it leaked while I finished up the mowing. I cut with a rear PTO finish mower from kubota as well. My concern is the pressure that it took or actually didn't take to reseat the seal. I thought it would have been harder to seat the seal then just hand/ finger pressure. is this normal? Or does the seal need replaced? There is no apparent damage to the seal and the axles seems ok , no slop or excessive play... any help you all can offer would be great !!

JSB

Equipment
BX2230 w/ frontend loader, mower deck, and box blade
Dec 2, 2014
La Grange, TX, USA
I am curious how the seal turned out? Did you eventually have to replace the seal?
Next question...How big of a job is it to replace the rear axle seals if need be? I have lots of tools and a good bit of mechanical experience although, not a professional mechanic. If possible, please explain the steps involved and which parts should be replaced in the course of having the rear end dismantled.
Thank you