B2630 fuel issue

TroyM

Equipment
B2630
Jun 22, 2017
Williamsport, MD, United States
I purchased a used 2006 B2630 a couple of months ago, and being new to diesel engines, I didn't realize the problems associated with running out of fuel. Thanks to this website and their Youtube video, I learned how to bleed air from the fuel lines and got things running again. After a few weeks of running fine, I let it set for about a week. When I tried to start it again, it ran a few seconds then died, just like it did when I ran out of fuel. I bled it again, it ran a few seconds then died. Eventually, I decided to replace the fuel filter. There was some gunk on the inlet side of of the housing where fuel enters the bowl. Clean it, installed new filter and o-rings, bled the lines, and tried to start it. Same results, it ran a few seconds then died.

When it runs for a few seconds, before it died, I observed the fuel in the filter bowl being sucked low. After the engine shuts off, the fuel level in the bowl very slowly starts to rise.

Thinking it might be related to the gunk I removed from the inlet side of the fuel filter, I checked fuel supply to the filter and if flows freely. After replacing the bowl I checked the outlet side by removing the fuel line. Fuel does not flow out of the filter when this line is removed. Is this normal?

I'm not sure if I should keep troubleshooting up the fuel supply path, if the problem is related to the filter, or whether I'm just not bleeding the system adequately, or if it's something altogether different.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I am not sure what you're tractor has involved but it seems that the fuel filter needs to flow freely. I think you can probably clean the top part of the filter housing. I have read that they get clogged up with debris. You can start with draining some fuel through the inlet side tube. Use something like a paint strainer to see if you can determine if there is something going on in the tank.

Then remove the filter element from the bowl and see if you get much flow out of the housing. Do not let the unfiltered fuel get to the injection pump!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TroyM

Equipment
B2630
Jun 22, 2017
Thanks Russell King... I'll try looking at the fuel filter housing again. When I disconnected the fuel line from the tank to the filter, fuel came rushing out so I reconnected the line quickly. I've read that when the filter bowl is removed, flow of fuel from the tank automatically stops, so I guess there must be some type of poppet valve or something similar. I also thought that once the fuel bowl was re-installed, fuel would then pass through the filter freely. Since that's not happening, I hope you're right that something is blocking the inlet in the top part of the filter housing. I was tempted to bypass the filter to see if that would solve the issue, but better judgement prevailed. Thanks for reinforcing the stupidity of even considering it !!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I purchased a used 2006 B2630 a couple of months ago, and being new to diesel engines, I didn't realize the problems associated with running out of fuel. Thanks to this website and their Youtube video, I learned how to bleed air from the fuel lines and got things running again. After a few weeks of running fine, I let it set for about a week. When I tried to start it again, it ran a few seconds then died, just like it did when I ran out of fuel. I bled it again, it ran a few seconds then died. Eventually, I decided to replace the fuel filter. There was some gunk on the inlet side of of the housing where fuel enters the bowl. Clean it, installed new filter and o-rings, bled the lines, and tried to start it. Same results, it ran a few seconds then died.

When it runs for a few seconds, before it died, I observed the fuel in the filter bowl being sucked low. After the engine shuts off, the fuel level in the bowl very slowly starts to rise.

Thinking it might be related to the gunk I removed from the inlet side of the fuel filter, I checked fuel supply to the filter and if flows freely. After replacing the bowl I checked the outlet side by removing the fuel line. Fuel does not flow out of the filter when this line is removed. Is this normal?

I'm not sure if I should keep troubleshooting up the fuel supply path, if the problem is related to the filter, or whether I'm just not bleeding the system adequately, or if it's something altogether different.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sounds as if there is "something" in your tank......once bled - this comes back and restrict the flow.

If possible - take fuel supply line and blow a little air backwards into tank, A LITTLE air, like a straw via your mouth....compressed air will be too much, unless you dial it down to like 3-5 psi.

Check for flow - should be steady stream.

Check fuel cap - if the fuel does not flow - remove cap and see if anything changes

TroyM

Equipment
B2630
Jun 22, 2017
Just wanted to say thanks to 85Hokie and Russell King for offering help to my fuel problems. Turns out the problem was a clog in the inlet side of the fuel filter housing/bracket, which means it did come from the fuel tank. Cleaned it out really good, bled the system and she fired right up. Actually runs better now than when I purchased it about 2 months ago. Thanks again for the help !!