posting photos.

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I see a lot of threads with photos, not attachments, but photos in with the text.

How does one do this?

I have tried pasting, dragging and dropping does not work.

Only way I have been able to post a photo is by going to "Managing Attachments"

Thanks in advance,

M

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
How to put a pic in the text without having to host elsewhere.......
  1. write your text in the Advanced Post Mode. keep in mind where you want to downloaded items.
  2. either use the paper clip or [Manage Attachments] buttons to open the download box.
    ncErnn4cA.jpg
  3. Download the pic, PDF etc. by following steps in the downloader screen.
  4. close download box once all you wanted to download is done. Think there is a limit by total Mb. Ends up usually like something around 5 pics? Larger files might drop that count some?
  5. put cursor where you want a particular downloaded item in your text.
    curious_george_swings_into_spring.jpg
  6. go to paper clip.
  7. select the desired pic from the list to place it inline or below the desired area of your text by clicking on it. This will place your pic there.
  8. repeat #5-7 with all the pics placing them where you like
  9. submit your post curious_george_spring.jpg

As you can tell this puts something little larger than a thumbnail within your text that reader can select for larger view if wanted.

*The 1% time you might want to use a hosting site is when one wants to put a "larger" than allowed pic at end of post or into text of post. Might be smart for very detailed pics. Do this by uploading elsewhere then use an Image

Last edited:

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
Coach,

Thank you for the very clear, easy to understand
kip bucket.jpg

Instructions!

Easy to follow and it works!

hangar.jpg

Michael
Kip and my plane at longbeach wa.jpg

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Ok Coach I understand your instructions for posting a small picture in the text.
IMG_0154.jpg

I have searched the forum and do not see how to post a picture as a thumbnail.
Could you or someone direct me to those instructions.
Thanks.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Ok Coach I understand your instructions for posting a small picture in the text.
View attachment 33945

I have searched the forum and do not see how to post a picture as a thumbnail.
Could you or someone direct me to those instructions.
Thanks.

do you actually want to post a thumbnail?

if you are remote hosting ... you will get a thumbnail as what shows up & then when you click it it will be larger.

if you want to post the larger image of the thumbnail display that is in your post like this:

then you click the picture, and hit copy image location.... then go to your post/reply & wherever you want that larger version you just click that picture frame & paste ... it will put it right in.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes but please look at the pixel dimensions first. It is a real nuisance when the image is too big, it throws the whole thread off. The recommended dimensions are in a stickied thread, less than 620 by 280 for a jpg file. Less than 620 horizontal dimensions seems fine. The dimensions are also in a table associated with the upload file commands.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yes but please look at the pixel dimensions first. It is a real nuisance when the image is too big, it throws the whole thread off. The recommended dimensions are in a stickied thread, less than 620 by 280 for a jpg file. Less than 620 horizontal dimensions seems fine. The dimensions are also in a table associated with the upload file commands.
Sheep,

thank you, thank you for pointing that out;):)

A really large picture does mess up the entire post, and the more posts that come after the worse it gets!:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This info. needs to be someplace on the forum so it can't be missed by posters.

Some pictures are so large I just go past that post, ignoring everything in them.

It seems this thread is a good example. As soon as a large picture is posted the following threads are larger.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I don't know. I see everyone else doing it.
As you can see I don't always listen to my Mom.
:D

if you are remote hosting ... you will get a thumbnail as what shows up & then when you click it it will be larger.
I am using the OTT site.

if you want to post the larger image of the thumbnail display that is in your post like this:
http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33945&d=1516942225
I figured out how to post large.
Here is what I found while searching for the thumbnail procedure.

As you can probably guess, OTT is going to be facing increased charges to run this forum. The more images that are being stored on the host's server the more it will cost. Hopefully our friends Vic and Mr. K are getting by on the advertisements we see all the time. If not we can expect sometime in the future to have a paying membership. That's the catch-22 for forum owners. You want a nice big forum with lots of members but sooner or later the band width use and server cost's catch up. As the forum grows so do the costs. Do they charge members or tolerate the flashy advertisements that are paying the bills. Or at least hopefully they are.
Scott
I posted five pictures in the Off Topic section and when I returned the next day three were removed. I am assuming it has to do with the above paragraph. I certainly don't want to add unnecessary expenses to OTT. So that is why I am assuming everyone else is using Thumbnails.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
The pictures I posted were all the same size. Two remain three were removed.
The thread sizing was not altered.
I'm guessing that I should be posting Thumbnails and then if anyone wants to see it in more detail they can click on it to enlarge.

P.S. It's not a big deal about the pics. I would just like to do it right. :)

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Some pictures are so large I just go past that post, ignoring everything in them.
Sometimes I do the same thing.

It seems this thread is a good example. As soon as a large picture is posted the following threads are larger.
The thread size on my iPad didn't change after the large picture in this thread was posted.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
The thread size on my iPad didn't change after the large picture in this thread was posted.

mine neither.... displayed perfectly. (thats why i picked that pic.)

but i do understand that people get up over that 600ishx 900ish & it can blow out the display...

thats where the auto resizer function on the forum comes in handy. its a 1 click box in the forum Admin section to set this up.

you can do it by total picture size (MB/KB) or by display sizes (600x900)..

as to the bandwidth & all that stuff? back in the day that used to be a concern for those of who host forums. nowdays? if you have a good hosting package its not.

on our WG site we limit the size you can post to 2mb per pic or 10mb per thread... we have over 300,000 pictures, 250,000 pdfs & over a million posts from around 30k members.

doesnt cost us any extra or require anything special. just the plain old fashion host fee.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

then you click the picture, and hit copy image location.... then go to your post/reply & wherever you want that larger version you just click that picture frame & paste ... it will put it right in.
Actually..... it is better to use clickable thumbnail. Large pictures always open takes up more bandwidth. that cost money..... then we have to demand more people pay for memberships..... or increase advertising....

soooooo you might consider NOT using big pics... but the clickable thumbs instead.... (but become a paying member anyway lol)

PS.... notice I removed the pic in my quoting...... out of respect to owner of a bulletin board forking out $$$ for bandwidth..... its a nice thing to do to not repeat the image that is only few post up or not relevant.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
Actually..... it is better to use clickable thumbnail. Large pictures always open takes up more bandwidth. that cost money..... then we have to demand more people pay for memberships..... or increase advertising....

soooooo you might consider NOT using big pics... but the clickable thumbs instead.... (but become a paying member anyway lol)

PS.... notice I removed the pic in my quoting...... out of respect to owner of a bulletin board forking out $$$ for bandwidth..... its a nice thing to do to not repeat the image that is only few post up or not relevant.

ok i gotta ask.... do you guys really still pay for bandwidth?

IF so: why ?

If you'd rather take this to a PM.. hit me up.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
ok i gotta ask.... do you guys really still pay for bandwidth?

IF so: why ?

If you'd rather take this to a PM.. hit me up.
I just assume the Admin has to pay for bandwidth. .... nothing in life is free. For sure he has at least got to pay for database storage, A server computer , an ISP connected to that computer that is fast enough to zap pictures to anyone viewing etc etc.... Again nothing is free

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
I just assume the Admin has to pay for bandwidth. .... nothing in life is free. For sure he has at least got to pay for database storage, A server computer , an ISP connected to that computer that is fast enough to zap pictures to anyone viewing etc etc.... Again nothing is free
George,

oh i totally understand nothing is free. We run a pretty good size site with a lot of traffic.

we just pay a flat fee every month for unlimited bandwidth, traffic, storage, dedicated server bank & so on.

back in the day, i used to get hosed for about $250 a month for our site.

now days its really cheap for a dedicated set up with auto back up.

its cheap enough that we dont allow ads, pop ups, or membership fees or donations towards hosting.

all we had to really do was limit PM's to 100 per member & set the picture size to 2mb each...

hit me in a PM.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I uploaded nine pictures to OTT's website with my Android phone. Then proceeded to use five of them on the Off Topic thread, "Show us your Shop and Equipment." When I went back on the thread later with my iPad two pictures were visible and three were not. At the time I assumed that I was doing something wrong and the moderators removed them. That was why I was wondering about posting with, "Thumbnail", pictures. Eventually I am able to see all five on my iPad a week later.
Then the other day I did the same thing with my phone. I posted one picture in the Off Topic thread, "Harbor Freight". I forgot to use the procedure described earlier in this thread for posting smaller embedded images in a post. As of right now when I view the post on my Android phone I can see the image and when I view the thread on my iPad, no image. When I open the post in edit mode I can see the address.
Can you guys, (and gals :)), see the picture?
Anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I uploaded nine pictures to OTT's website with my Android phone. Then proceeded to use five of them on the Off Topic thread, "Show us your Shop and Equipment." When I went back on the thread later with my iPad two pictures were visible and three were not. At the time I assumed that I was doing something wrong and the moderators removed them. That was why I was wondering about posting with, "Thumbnail", pictures. Eventually I am able to see all five on my iPad a week later.
Then the other day I did the same thing with my phone. I posted one picture in the Off Topic thread, "Harbor Freight". I forgot to use the procedure described earlier in this thread for posting smaller embedded images in a post. As of right now when I view the post on my Android phone I can see the image and when I view the thread on my iPad, no image. When I open the post in edit mode I can see the address.
Can you guys, (and gals :)), see the picture?
Anyone experienced this or have any ideas?
I can see your belt sander and 5 pics on the other thread fine, and they are nicely sized too, with both an Android tablet and an iPhone.