Extra traction advise?

Starko

Equipment
B7200HST
Feb 18, 2009
Red Deer, AB
New to the site but read your articles on ballasting and tire chains. Where i'm at now there's lots of snow (~2ft+) and blading the driveway i'm slipping a lot. Considering getting either tire chains or ballasting. I see pictures of guys that just have chains on the front tires, is that enough? What can i do to get more traction. thank you.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hey there Starko, welcome to the site and thank you for posting!

There are a few things you can do to improve the traction you are getting out of that B7200 of yours. I would suggest first, that if you are blading and the snow is 2ft or more deep, to make a few passes and not try to clear the whole driveway at once. We actually have a bit of a tutorial on blading tips - not sure if you've seen that or not, available here:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2009/01/how-to-clear-snow-with-a-snow-blade/

Regarding tire chains, yes, Kubota does make those available. Check your local dealership - if you are in Red Deer that would be "Key AgVentures" ph: 403-343-6112.

Ballasting your tires is a bit more involved than simple chains and you'll have to go with something a little more complicated than water due to your cold climate. Still not a bad idea if you are up to it - can easily add hundreds of lbs and the more weight pressing down on those tires the more traction.

My recommendation is to get ahold of some chains, install them on the rears, try making multiple passes on the driveway with your blade, and see how far that takes you. If you still are lacking traction, consider liquid in the tires or a ballast box (or some piece of something heavy on the 3pt to keep the blade down).

Last edited by a moderator:

Starko

Equipment
B7200HST
Feb 18, 2009
Red Deer, AB
hey thank you for the advise i'll give that dealer a call on those chains. Also yah the blade sometimes rides up a bit, i'll throw a box of some scrap metal i have on the back to keep that down. Not sure why i didn't think to do that before!!!

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
When you give your dealer a call could you do us a favor and let us know:

1) the part number they quote you for the tire chains
2) the pricing

Could be handy to get updated info re: pricing for these chains as we've ball parked those numbers a bit. Thanks.

Lewis

Equipment
b6000
Mar 2, 2009
Massachusetts
I guess this is the time of the year for these questions. I use my B6000 with back blade and FEL to clear my hilly driveway. I couldn't get traction on the ice this morning although I managed to get up it with my Toyota Tacoma in 4wd. I have what I believe are the original 7-16 back tires and chains from the auto parts store, Problem is the chains get in between the lugs and I don't get the traction. I don't have chains on the front tires. The diff lock doesn't help. Do I have the wrong type of chains? Should I try front chains? More ballast in the rear? Perhaps these are the wrong type of tires for ice and snow. Suggestions? Thanks.

korydz

Equipment
BX2660
Feb 17, 2009
Canada
I believe the best source for tire chains is tirechains.com. I got a set there for my BX2660 and love them. Shipped quickly, the product is top quality, and they come with great instructions and there is instructional videos on their site.

They have many different styles avaiable to match your needs in regard to traction, tire type, and ground protection (not tearing up the concrete).

I had my tires filled with calcium chloride about a week after I got it. Not only is the traction better in all conditions, but its much more stable and smooth to operate. This will certainly increase your confidence if you are new to tractoring. The best "tractor dollars" I've spent so far.

RCtoywizard

Equipment
Kubota M5040
Feb 27, 2009
Groton NH
www.twwrc.homestead.com
An easy counter weight for me was a 55 gal drum. Cut a 1" hole half way
up, in both sides so you can put a steel rod through it. That goes in your 3 point hitch arms.
Then, stick another steel rod down through the middle keeping in mind this top end will need to be hooked and unhooked easily to the top arm.
Then I filled mine with sand, rocks and steel scrap.
I weighed everything I put in because I wanted to know excactly how heavy
it was. 1,014 lbs was the total.
Its easy for me to hook up to the 3 point hitch but would be easier if I had the under hooks you can get to go over the two arms. then I could just back up and raise the arms.
I dont use the counter weight much but when I do, its solid and very stable.
My tires are filled also.
I would weld a 1/4" steel patch above where the holes are cut for the cross steel rod because eventually the weight tends to rip up through the drum.
My holes are oval at the moment.
Of course if you used concrete, that wouldnt happen but concrete might not be as heavy for the volume.

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
New to the site but read your articles on ballasting and tire chains. Where i'm at now there's lots of snow (~2ft+) and blading the driveway i'm slipping a lot. Considering getting either tire chains or ballasting. I see pictures of guys that just have chains on the front tires, is that enough? What can i do to get more traction. thank you.
Most dealer do not favor chaining up the front tires due to the added stress on the front driveline. Rear weight is always the best option. Rimguard will provide you the most weight of tire ballast without the possible damaging affects of CC. Be sure to use a good quality of metal valve stems, NOT rubber. WWF or RV fluid would be next on the list. Additionally rear ballast, either homemade or ballast box is always worth it. Chain up on rears is also good for icy conditions as long as you have the clearance. Use all three.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Ballast helps traction in snow a little but is ineffective on ice. Tire chains help both snow and ice traction a lot. Of course, both is ideal.

Front tire chains will not be enough but will help steering.

I recommend tirechains.com rather than any dealer for tire chains. They are experts and have a great deal of helpful information on their website.

I've been using F & R chains on my B1750 (similar to your B7200) to plow snow since I bought it new in 1993 without issue. No need to worry about front drive line when plowing snow with front chains.

SDT

Last edited: