attaching belly mower to bx 2200

rbwmgw

Equipment
bx 2200, front end loader, belly mower, tiller, box blade, auger, rock rake
Sep 1, 2014
Jacksonville, AL
Just bought a used bx 2200. The belly mower was not attached. Seller did not have a user manual for the mower. I can see how to attach the mower itself but am having problems figuring out the PTO hook up. Is there an article or video that will explain this?
Thanks! I'm new to all of this!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Just bought a used bx 2200. The belly mower was not attached. Seller did not have a user manual for the mower. I can see how to attach the mower itself but am having problems figuring out the PTO hook up. Is there an article or video that will explain this?
Really is not that bad.....

the collar slides back much the same as an air coupler - slide back the collar and then push onto the shaft as far as it will go and let go of the collar. You kinda have to do it blind - really cannot see what you are doing as you do it. Practice with the shaft and see how far and how easy or not easy the collar pulls back - it too might need some oil.

rbwmgw

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
Jacksonville, AL
I have been able to attach the collar to the shaft as you described. However it seems another connection is needed: the shaft coming from the deck apparently must connect to the shaft that has been connected using the collar. Is that correct? It looks like a male-female connection; am I right in my understanding of this? I cannot make that connection; I know I'm doing something wrong, or missing a part...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have been able to attach the collar to the shaft as you described. However it seems another connection is needed: the shaft coming from the deck apparently must connect to the shaft that has been connected using the collar. Is that correct? It looks like a male-female connection; am I right in my understanding of this? I cannot make that connection; I know I'm doing something wrong, or missing a part...
I understand now.....I too took my sliding pto shaft apart, if I remember - there is a zerk fitting there, or I simply placed a little grease on the sliding part. I did remember that it would not go back easily :mad:- and i said wth is wrong with this picture!:eek: I rotated one half, and without looking at it closely - there must be a one way slot somewhere on that PTO shaft, it would not go several of the first couple of realignments. SPIN one half around and keep trying! It will go, I think that designed it that way for balance of the pto shaft. You have to have both on the same centerline - any angle off and it will not go in. Place both halves together FIRST then the sliding collar onto the PTO.
Report back.:)

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Hi we have a couple bx's with 60" decks, the easiest way I've found to attach the pto is to first slide the deck under the machine. Roll it ahead as far as possible without separating the slip ( master spline ) slip the collar back then slide it onto the pto shaft, crawl out from under the machine go to the front using your foot give it a push and the shaft should slide into place ( might take a little practice).Then do the rest of the attachments. When I remove the deck I don't bother removing the shaft until after I've removed the deck, simply undo the front and side attachments roll the deck ahead, the shaft should separate at the spline slide the deck out then go under and retreave the other half of the drive shaft, grease the spline slide it back together and it's ready too go for the next time you use it. Hope this helps you Barry

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
The two splined shafts are indexed,,, one way only ,,,, . Once you finally get them together, mark the two with white paint or some marker. The collar that slides onto the trans stub is a pain. You have to hold the shaft and slide the collar back toward the shaft. This releases the balls inside the collar to move over the splines on the trans stub. It has a slight detent that holds it in place but the slightest bump and it goes back to the lock position. You can't push on the collar to get the shaft back on the stub, the collar will go back to the lock position. I pull the collar back then put my hand on the shaft and push it onto the stub. When it bottoms out, the bump will release the collar and it will lock. While you have it off, spray it a bunch with some kind of lube. Inside the collar, I mean.

rbwmgw

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
Jacksonville, AL
I understand now.....I too took my sliding pto shaft apart, if I remember - there is a zerk fitting there, or I simply placed a little grease on the sliding part. I did remember that it would not go back easily :mad:- and i said wth is wrong with this picture!:eek: I rotated one half, and without looking at it closely - there must be a one way slot somewhere on that PTO shaft, it would not go several of the first couple of realignments. SPIN one half around and keep trying! It will go, I think that designed it that way for balance of the pto shaft. You have to have both on the same centerline - any angle off and it will not go in. Place both halves together FIRST then the sliding collar onto the PTO.
Report back.:)
Thanks, 85Hokie! I think I understand the process now. However, we have hit an unexpected obstacle: the connector shaft is slightly bent (due to who knows what) and it will not slide onto the other shaft (on the deck). I'm gonna have to replace it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks, 85Hokie! I think I understand the process now. However, we have hit an unexpected obstacle: the connector shaft is slightly bent (due to who knows what) and it will not slide onto the other shaft (on the deck). I'm gonna have to replace it.[/QUOTE]

oooooo......that sucks.......

i take it there is no way that it can be bent back to normal! Not looking - does the connector come off the bent piece? Or do you have to buy the whole kit and kaboodle !:D

Scared to think what it costs!

here is a guess!

pto shaft.jpg

Last edited: