BX25D or wait for the 23S?

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Hey Everyone,

To start things off i'll just say that I have a BX not because i needed one, but because i wanted one. at the time they did not have the 0% for 84 Months and i wasn't in a good position to get hold of a bx25,so i took a 2370 for 1.x% over 72(?) months.. Ever since then I keep thinking that I would have liked to get the "top" one.. with the backhoe. (Even though I have not too much use for one) it's just one of them things that has been bugging me. Don't get me wrong, I love having my 2370.

Now things have changed for me in life and Having talked to my dealer, I can trade "Up" to the bx25D for pretty much the same payments i am making on my 2370. (i have 6 years to go on my 2370)

but then he says "Why not wait and get the 23s, it wont be much different in price"..

So, now i have to decide. but there is not a lot of info out there for the 23s, and from what i've seen there is mostly cosmetic changes.. and the quick attach stuff.

my big hangup is that it's a 1st run.. what are the chances that it's filled with "bugs"? on the other hand 25D is a proven machine.

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2 machines? Spec wise, they are almost identical. I'm thinking the 10lbs difference in lift weight is because of the cutting edge on the bucket.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
there were some subtle differences from the BX25 - to the "D", those have been spec'ed out ....

I have seen pictures of the new 23 - but HAVE NOT seen the breakdown of WHAT is different between the 25D and the 23S?

IT seems the big changes are with the ease of taking stuff off! Little bigger bucket on the hoe.......skid steer quick attach on the front......

not sure what best answer is!;)

Wormwood

Equipment
M5-111 SVL97-2 Sidekick
Oct 3, 2011
Little Rock, AR, United States
I hate to say this but, looking at the brochure you posted, the 23S looks awfully nice. Things like the quick connect hydraulic linking up when you connect the FEL automatically. Icouldn't find anywhere they "skimped" on the new model.

This is Kubota's bread'n'butter, there are Japanese engineers that have been with Kubota for a decade, just hoping to get promoted to the BX design team. So I wouldn't let the possibility of design bugs steer your decision. If you can hold out go for the 23S & if you can get it for $0/0.00%@84mos. that's all the better. Sometimes they don't extend that love to their more popular models though....

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
quick attach is amazingly important....at least for my needs. I have changed front end implements as much as 8 times on a particularly busy day....without SSQA it would have sucked. I would hold tight. Kubota isn't going to let a 1st run have issues on their BX. as said, that is their bread and butter. according to my local dealer they sell 10 BXs for every 1 they sell of the Grand L or M series.

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Well.. I suppose someone had to be 1st.. I put my pre order in for the 23s today. I'll post pics once it gets here.

Now to get my 2370 back to stock for getting traded in.

(Edited to correct that it was just a pre order afterall.)

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I was briefly considering a BX80, mostly for the ssqa, and fender mount joystick in conjunction with the backhoe. My need for the BH would quickly end so Ill just rent a Mini X twice...

I doubt there will be any bugs to worry about. Its not like a brand new car where Engineers slapped things together to please a focus group and ever tightening emissions...

Grumpyjoe

Dec 21, 2016
Miller
I am curious as to the price. I just bought a BX25d1 with box blade, 4 ft rotary cutter and it came with backhoe and 3pt arms. We paid just under $22k total.

The 23s looks like they added a few more options that I could have had for another $1000. The quick connects are cute but with this small tractor aftter the first setup it really goes quick. The first time I dropped the backhoe it took me about 5 minutes and I used an old pallet to set it on. I hope the front loader will be able to lift it still.

Over all I have about 10 hours used on my new tractor. I have used everything bu the rotary cutter. I am debating what teeth I want on the front bucket and I am glad I opted for the 12 in hoe bucket. The hoe is a bit lacking with the rocks I have here in SW Missouri but more practice and I will make it work.

The box blade needs a lot more weight for it to do what I want. I will probably get some suitcase weights to hang off the back. So far other than getting used to how a tractor works again I am well satisfied with my BX25D1.

I am debating on the thumb as the hoe is weak. I am not sure I will use a thumb much. Other than having a thumb I do not see a difference with the 603 back hoe.

For a stronger rig I would step up to the B26 as it is designed for construction. It has substantial capacity differences.

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Edit: so.. it turns out I have no idea what's going on around me...

But now I have this to look at in my workshop :D
That's my 2370 on the truck leaving. Was sad to see it go. But I got over it quick.

Last edited:

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
As a point of interest...

The hood is now 100% metal all round (except for the black parts)

The Cutting bar is an Option.
The Steering wheel is higher up.. but feels really small (probably because it's like a go-cart one)

There are pre-drilled holes in the sides of the rops to hold 2 sets of lights (i'm guessing)

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hi Trapper.

I am drooling here. It looks fantastic.

Good luck and enjoy.

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Looks nice! I question the turfs on a TLB:confused:

I hope they enough load limit on the trailer:rolleyes:

Pat
I've got a set of r4 for working :)

I traded my 2370 in with the turf on (Was in mower/ snowblower mode)

I just finished swapping the bh for the blower. Was a lot easier then I imagined.

I've also been playing with the loader on and off.. you can even raise and lower the kickstand without getting off yer seat. I should make a video sometime. It's quite interesting what they did.

Last edited:

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
As cheap as the extra set of wheels on tires are on the BX that is good idea as always. I hope they used the same bolt pattern and pilot on the new units.

Pat

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing you just did. I currently have a 2370. I use it mainly for mowing, but the more i do, the more the loader is coming in real handy. And right now I have at least 5 or 6 projects lined up where a BH would come in REAL handy.

I would also want the turf tires on mine since it will be mainly for mowing. I was getting ready to ask this same question in a different thread. I wonder how they will work with the BH???

trapperdrew

Equipment
2017 BX23S TLB
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
I've had mine a week now
And don't regret it 1 bit. I thought my 2370 was awsome.. but this one just leaves me with a warm feeling. And mine is mostly a lawn mower aswell. But it is nice to have the bh option. No more thinking it would be handy to have one. The new controls are nicely placed as well.

rodaboss

Jan 31, 2017
Eugene Oregon
So been doing some deep analysis, and I've come to this. Kubota offers a 3rd function feature for Grapples and other loader attachments, and it seems to be a better fit than the Land Pride version, since the loader joystick was repositioned.

The biggest issue I've seen and verified, is that the bucket attachment is different than the 25xd, so the Kubota quick attach won't fit. The new SSQA is great in theory, but according to the specs you lose about 100 lbs of lift, not to mention the additional weight of the SSQA adapter on the Bucket, Grapple, etc. I want a grapple, but I don't like the idea changing it without a quick attach, and don't want to lose the lifting power. So I'm thinking I may stay with the 25Xd.

I like the new hood, and the quick attach loader and bh, can't seem to get past the lifting issues. Any advice out there on what losing a 100lbs of lift means to you?