L3901 cab/windshield build

stano

Apr 17, 2015
Ontario
Started my cab build today on my L3901. Plan is for it to be easily removable. The front is going to be a hard windshield and the sides and back canvas and clear vinyl. So far the front panel design seems like I am on the right track. The front panel tips forward and lifts up to remove. Im not trying to build something airtight necessarily just enough to keep blowing snow and wind off me.

I do boat canvas so the soft sides should be pretty straight forward. The door will likely be zippered.

I'm planning on posting as I go along and comments suggestions are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would advise on putting some form of retention, via bolt or pin, on the windshield and frame, as a unexpected bump could cause that bracket and windshield to become dislodged and have some seriously bad results, anywhere from a bump on the head, to death. :(;)

stano

Apr 17, 2015
Ontario
The top support is not installed yet. The plan is a bent plate and a bolt on each side of the frame. I kept the top of the frame low so it will clear the roof during removal.

stano

Apr 17, 2015
Ontario
Making some progress. Changed the design to use the left cab mount and the hydraulic bracket on the right side. Frame is fully welded out now and primed in the garage. Need to put 1/8" plate on the front with the cut out for the window. I'm going to profile the plate around the hood and hydraulics, etc. The frame comes off the tractor with four bolts and I only had to drill one 3/8" hole in the tractor on the bracket that supports the hydraulics.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You know by the time you get done with it the snow will be gone :rolleyes:

G.rid

Equipment
L48 tlb, ssqa forks, manual thumb for hoe
Aug 19, 2016
Oxford, NS, Canada
Stano, how did you make out with finishing up the cab? I know it's been a year, just wondering how air tight you managed to make it and still be able to take it off.
I've been looking at lots of cab designs for ideas to build one for my L48.

Looking forward to more pics. :D