Propane Canon

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
DThrash: Thanks for the tip, When I spoke to the police on a previous incident he said to burn a copy to a dvd if I ever see anyone clearly enough and it would help to press charges.

ehenry:

When I spoke to the last cop who showed up, I explained how I called them for the fourth time since I've moved here, for trespassing incidents/complaints. I asked why they didn't beef up the patrolling. His first response was that they closed one of the local precincts due to cutbacks (thanks obama) and how they were short staffed. Just over 40 cops to cover 90 something square miles. 40 cops was the entire force, maybe half were staffed on duty. It just wasnt physically possible. His second response was, (I got a kick outta this one) "Listen, I've been doing this for 26 years, the one thing I've learned about people, is that everyone's an @sshole"
I agree with you though, its utter nonsense that these people continue to get away with this stuff. As I mentioned in a previous post someone just robbed the local bank here. Thats what happens when you close the police department.

A sad reminder, we just lost 8,000 acres of forest. Id bet my bottom dollar its one of the trespassers or one of their "gang" The fire was started very close by and I came close to losing my trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DysFXkTzhU

One other neighbor mentioned patrolling the property more often. I plan to. The boundries are heavily wooded and some areas very hilly ,rocky, or marshy, and I need to cut trails out for my atv. Not just standing trees but felled trees. I've just been so busy I havent had the time. It'll most likely take me 3 months to do it by myself. Its too bad I couldn't patrol it with my B, the whine would do a good job of frightening the wildlife... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

I spoke to a local cop about the canon, I was mistaken about the target shooting law, he said I could set it up if I wanted, My nearest neighbor is a half mile away so disturbing the peace shouldn't be an issue.

Fencing that much property would kill me financially. If I win the lotto, I'll build a moat! Complete with gators!

OldeEnglish:

I feel the same way, I could put up more cameras but at what cost, I picked up a few moultires already and those "eneloop pro" rechargeable batteries. I'm already $400 in the hole for covering a small area. I would need to triple that. I looked i to the lock boxes you could buy, but I could circumvent those in a few minutes. Putting more up on the side of the road to catch the litterers and this just gets more and more expensive and time consuming. I find lots of beer cans, so the offenders are drinking and driving. Last year, I found a milk jug with half water in it that had buckshot. They left it off the side of the road and were taking shots at it as they were driving by. Degenerates.

D2:

The only people I give permission to hunt is the town cop and my neighbor who lives by the farthest stretch of my land that he watches for me. He likes to shoot/ trap :) I hear ya though, its all too easy for others to abuse the rights given to them.

MadMax31:

I have a spare cottage on the property, you're invited to spend a few months over and I'm putting you on "tackling dipshits" detail. :D

bcp

I dont know how well the canon would work, but it should keep em away from my boundries.

NIW: By far the easiest solution. I'll look into it for sure and see if it will allow an increased patrol/fines.

Thanks again. Everyone. I appreciate your time and your comments. It helps.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
These are the cameras I am thinking of buying. The slim models look like the can be easily camouflaged compared to the traditional game cams, as well as mounted high in the trees. They are expensive.

http://www.reconyx.com/

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
procraftmike, I been hiding the cams up in the trees, (no one ever looks up) it just gets tiring getting a ladder out to change the batteries every few weeks lol
Use ultimate lithiums. I buy them by the case. With the right camera ultimate lithiums will last more than a year, depending on how many pictures are taken.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Use ultimate lithiums. I buy them by the case. With the right camera ultimate lithiums will last more than a year, depending on how many pictures are taken.
Define "right camera" I've been using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T34P69O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For batteries, I've been using the eneloop pros

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK-3HCCA4BA-Eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable/dp/B00JHKSL28

They last about a month, maybe 2. Depends. Theres tons a deer/turkey, and when the wind picks up, I get lots of branch, bush waving shots too. I have been capturing videos instead of photos. I figure they tell a better story.

Olde english: thanks but way too expensive.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Another option, contact "Base Camp Leasing" (866-309-1507). Lease your land to them, make an income, let them be the ones to chase off the intruders. They have their own liability insurance to protect you and the hunters.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Someone once posted that they gave hunting privileges to the local sheriff deputies. More frequent patrols, and vandalism and trespassing stopped.

Bruce

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Solar chargers for game cameras, post hunting by permission only and leave a contact number. That would only work with the good ones. Fence and cattle would keep everybody out.
Wildlife cannons make quite a bang,would keep most animals out,thereby hunters would look for better areas. Would only need to run it around hunting season. Just need it close enough to point of entry so trespassers get the message.

Danger! No trespassing!
I like the idea of the hand painted signs,dont forget to mis-spell part of it too.

Trail cams at night will active a light or a flash, so they become an instant target.what about motion sensors on wifi that provide instant notification? Like my appcam,range is poor , would neet to find long range ones.

I hav 50 acres, i rent it as farmland. Snowmobilers and atv'ers constantly trespass. Now my idiot son has a shortcut directly across field to my shop, attracting all kinds of late night traffic.

Last edited:

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Another option, contact "Base Camp Leasing" (866-309-1507). Lease your land to them, make an income, let them be the ones to chase off the intruders. They have their own liability insurance to protect you and the hunters.
D2, I sent off for an information packet and will be contacting one of the local leasing agents. It would be a slam dunk if it works!

Tooljunkie, I'll look into the solar chargers, I've heard of em but never followed through. I may be able to set up one for testing in an open area. Maybe to catch the literbugs.

bcp, I already have a local cop hunting the property!

NIW, I took a few minutes to poke around the game sanctuary idea, so far all I found was something that wanted me to create an easement to give them rights but it would devalue my property by 200K. lol, I'll look more tomorrow.

Swampcollie

Equipment
Mx5800, la1065 loader, rcf2772 mower, blade, disc
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
Find the biggest, meanest, ugliest redneck in your area. Tell him you will give him permission to hunt your land if he will keep the trespassers off.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Set it up to when the camera gets activated so does speaker hooked to a gizmo like an Automotive PA system that plays a loud gun shot or two then:

. some whooping and hollering followed by " I got it, I got it" Followed by...... "OH SHIT..... it's wearing an Orange Hat" .....

or

. Some whooping and hollering followed with (in the most backwoods dialect you can record" "Yea hawwwww Cowm own Boyz..... weez gotz a live Trusspasser to hunt!!"

or.... instead first part is a loud landmine explosion over PA followed by

. "IED got one of em" "hope they head back same way they came or they'll hit another one"

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Define "right camera" I've been using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T34P69O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For batteries, I've been using the eneloop pros

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK-3HCCA4BA-Eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable/dp/B00JHKSL28

They last about a month, maybe 2. Depends. Theres tons a deer/turkey, and when the wind picks up, I get lots of branch, bush waving shots too. I have been capturing videos instead of photos. I figure they tell a better story.

Olde english: thanks but way too expensive.
It used to be Bushnell and Covert cameras, but neither one of those have been very good since 2012. I have a bunch of both from the 2012 model year, on trails they all last more than a year on a set of batteries. Now it's Stealth, specifically the G42NG. I don't know how long the batteries will last in it since I've been using them exclusively for time-lapse, but you should still get nearly a year out of them.

Personally I don't think Moultrie has made a good camera since the old I-40 cameras that looked like a lunchbox, by today's standards those cameras suck but they were pretty much the best camera under $500 at the time. I might be a lot biased against them though because I hate the way their time-lapse works. Plus I believe Moultrie spreads themselves too thin by offering way too many models plus it seems like every big box store has their own exclusive Moultrie models. Brownings are basically Moultrie clones.

I would buy some Reconyx, but I just can't leave that much money hanging on a tree.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Trail cams at night will active a light or a flash, so they become an instant target.
Now there are very few game cameras made with a normal flash. That's more of a novelty item now. 99% of them have infrared flash. Some of them are still fairly visible with a red glow if you look right at them but they are not nearly as bright as they were when infrared flash first came out. Now the standard is moving to a basically invisible flash, where you pretty much have to be within a few feet of the camera and looking for the flash to see it.