3Pt Wood Splitter

Tractor Rookie

Equipment
B7800, LA402 with quick attach-bucket & forks, brush cutter, tiller, back blade
Aug 28, 2016
WI
Buying an older 3pt wood splitter, to run with B7800 hydraulics. Does not have to be attached to 3pt to operate, as has own legs. What am I going to need to best attach B7800 hydraulics to splitter's hydraulic quick disconnects?

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I have never used a 3 pt. splitter but it seems pointless to put hours on your tractor running some thing that can be powered by a 100$ gas engine from Harbor Freight. Plus your tractor and loader will be free to lift logs and do other jobs while you are splitting. I have a old 3pt. splitter that was converted over to stand alone and it works well. I have seen PTO powered pumps that you could use to run a splitter but they are pricey. Unless you have rear remotes? My B7500 doesn't

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Have you figured out how much flow your tractor puts out? Mine puts out around 3 gpm which means that I would be measuring cycle time with a calendar if I used it on a log splitter. I'd want at least 10 for a 20 ton splitter and 20ish for a 35 or 37 ton splitter. Otherwise I'd go with a pto driven pump if you're going to run it with the tractor. You could convert it to run on a small engine as suggested, but if you use it seasonally, you could have carb issues, especially if you leave an ethanol blend sitting in it and if you don't use it much the hours on the tractor won't matter that much.

Tractor Rookie

Equipment
Aug 28, 2016
WI
It's about costs savings right now. Getting the would splitter pretty cheap; but it's a solid unit and works well. So would really like use it with the B7800, if possible. Do it of brush cutting, while cutting wood. This one was modified to carry with a fork; so don't have to disconnect the brush hog to pull it. I can just carry it out to the woods with me drop it off the forks and go.

Hoping to get some type of quick disconnect someplace on the B7800 to connect it as I need it; easily moving it with me as I go, without having to remove the rotary cutter or forks. Maybe I'm asking for too much out of the tractor??

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
I'm not familiar with the B7800, but you should be able to add matching disconnects onto the tractor, perhaps near the loader valve, and plumb them up to the front of the machine. Then you might not have to take the splitter off of the forks, just set it down, plug it into the disconnects and go. I think it will be really slow, so you might want to plan for a hydraulic pump and engine down the road. I just put a Harbor Freight Predator engine on my splitter, it was given to me, off of a snow blower. I wasn't sure that I was going to be happy with it, but I was pleasantly surprised. It starts with one pull, and is plenty powerful enough for my 20 ton splitter.
Good luck with your project!

Jerry

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
I have used both the three point and stand alone. I made the three point and had to send some pretty heavy bucks to get a modification kit for my blue tractor. As I remember the cylinder was at least 20 ton.Tractor HP was about 30 maybe a little higher. Had to run the RPM way up tp get decent amount of hydraulics flowing . Did get a lot of use out of it. The stand alone was maybe 20 ton and it was bought with a group of guys. It ran faster than the three point rig, and had to be maintained by me since some of them abused the thing. So, I found the three point more useful. even if it required plenty of engine rpm.

Tractor Rookie

Equipment
Aug 28, 2016
WI
The B7800 is a 2006; it's suppose to have 30HP output, but needs a tuneup. I figured I would have to keep the RPMs up, to run it. Similar to when running the belly mower and rotary brush cutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tractor Rookie

Equipment
Aug 28, 2016
WI
BravoXray; that's what I was thinking and hoping I could do. Will I have to tap into the hoses coming out of the hydraulic block to the loader valve? Or is there some type of y-valves that can replace the 2 fittings at the block?

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
Me, I am still partial to a stand alone splitter. I depend to much on the bucket and grapple to be tether to a splitter. When you get a 36" ponderosa round that weighs close to 350 pounds it is nice to use the tractor getting it to the splitter and in position.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Me, I am still partial to a stand alone splitter. I depend to much on the bucket and grapple to be tether to a splitter. When you get a 36" ponderosa round that weighs close to 350 pounds it is nice to use the tractor getting it to the splitter and in position.
I hate lifting blocks like that. Seems like a lot of unnecessary danger. I guess it wouldn't be so bad with a vertical splitter but that's tough getting up and down using a vertical. Our splitter is horizontal, and I've never felt comfortable using a tractor to get the big blocks on it. Too much to go wrong with the people operating the splitter. Last few years we've been splitting with mauls and wedges to get the blocks small enough to lift. Since I've got the new tractor now I hope to find a used splitter for cheap (maybe one with bad motor or pump), mount to a blank SSQA plate, and power it with the 3rd function and use that to split them small enough to get on the other splitter.

Tractor Rookie

Equipment
Aug 28, 2016
WI
Well, I've got the splitter and I think it will work well for what I'm looking to do. It's not going to do anything real fast; but rill go the job.

Any suggestions on the best way to attach a couple of y-fittings on the side hydraulic block? Or is there a better way to do it?

Again, I am definitely a rookie at this stuff, so your discussion, and opinions, on this has been insightful and very helpful. Thank you.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
I would start by looking at Surplus Center. However, you might be better off to take your loader valve off and go to a local hydraulic shop to make sure that your fittings will fit. You might find what you need at Tractor Supply as well. Take your existing quick connect off of the splitter with you to match up as well.
Take a look at some of the setups folks on here have done to add a grapple, this should give you some ideas.

Good Luck with your project. We always like to see pictures!

Jerry

Tractor Rookie

Equipment
Aug 28, 2016
WI
Thanks for the feedback and link. I'd like add the pto pump, but that's more $$ than I have in the splitter. I will probably have to move to some type of additional pump in future, for now I will see what I can do without it.

Will try to get some photos throughout the project, Jerry.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
If you're rural you could try hitting auctions and machinery boneyards for a pump. I'm not sure of the specs, but some IH Cyclo corn planters were powered with a PTO hydraulic pump as were a number of swing arm haybines. I'm sure that there's other equipment that uses them as well that I'm not thinking of.

Tractor Rookie

Equipment
Aug 28, 2016
WI

Tractor Rookie

Equipment
Aug 28, 2016
WI
Sorry for the delay in getting the photos posted. Got it all installed and it's working well. Ended up putting a T, with a shut off valve just off of the power out line. The power is great, with more speed than expected. Unfortunately, with the shut off valve, have to disconnect the hose to keep it on the loader, for transporting splitter. This will be rectified, when not in the middle of the cutting; with another valve setup. For now I am very pleased with how it turned out. Thanks for the help!

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
That's the same splitter I have that was changed over to stand alone. I will get some pictures and post them. Good old splitters.

Tractor Rookie

Equipment
Aug 28, 2016
WI
Affirmative, all the other ones I looked at, new and used alike, double the cost; were no where's as "beefy." Very pleased with the results.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Take the valve's out of the system before you have a tragedy and dead head the setup and blow a pump!

All you need to do it have is a Quick disconnect on the power beyond line and run the log splitter in line on that.

So from the Loader spool valves power beyond port add a Quick disconnect, then on the line the came off of that put the other side of the quick disconnect.
split those 2 lines and connect them to the splitter.
Here is the bonus to this kind of a setup, if you forget to do anything like reconnect the Quick disconnects on the loader, the loaders Pressure relief valve will kick in and saves the pump.

Attachments

Last edited: