Viasat

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Anyone running viasat? Any feedback good or bad?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Anyone running viasat? Any feedback good or bad?
No different from HughesNet/DirectV sat Internet. Great if the only game in town. Capacity limited and if you hit your limit, they throttle back the speed. Bad weather can mean no connection. Service calls can have long wait times meaning service down for days or weeks. Another dish on the property, larger than DirecTv or DISH.

If all you need is email and very light internet, consider simply using your smartphone as a WiFi hotspot at ho,mer and switch it off when you leave.

Where I am, my choice is unlimited 3 mbs DSL or satellite. I'd max out on a 25 GB monthly ceiling in under a week. I earn my money being online. If I have a DSL problem, I can have a service tech here in just a few hours (I know where he lives, around the corner!) While my connection is not stellar, it is consistent. My wife has to download a movie and not stream it. Otherwise, it is very adequate.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
William1, just curious what your DSL speed is? We can barely watch movies with ours and we rarely do. Our speed on a good day is (up)6.02mbps and (down)1.65mbps. Those numbers are our best. I can not even imagine speeds of 100+.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
They just upped our dsl speed a couple years ago. We were getting 1mbps. They ran a new line to the house and updated the wall plug and replaced the wifi/modem. Went from 1mbps to 50mbps. Settled in at around 40mbps after a few months.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
William1, just curious what your DSL speed is? We can barely watch movies with ours and we rarely do. Our speed on a good day is (up)6.02mbps and (down)1.65mbps. Those numbers are our best. I can not even imagine speeds of 100+.
Ours stinks. We are at the far side from the switch (the further you are, the lower the available speed). We are at 3Mbs, too slow to watch any TV real time. All movies/shows have to be down loaded to a DVR. Typically the D/L takes two to three times to do than the show takes to watch!
Sat is faster, when it is faster. Heavy traffic slows it down, if you hit your monthly cap, it slows down. Cloudy sky slows it down. Neighbor had to have sat when they moved in, no more ports at the switch. They said it was completely unacceptable. A month later, they got the same DSL we have and are 10X happier. Dependable and steady, albeit slow. And much cheaper.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
We had Sat Internet, went to cell based. With Sat you have real bad latency. We have AT&T Home Base Raul now, it is 4G cell and we can watch video in HD without any problems. We got in on a special they were having, 250 Gig for a little over $60 a month.

Highmarket

Equipment
B2650hsdc
Jan 15, 2019
Constableville NY Tughill
I have Viasat. I use it to monitor my cameras and control heat when heading up to camp. I don't really stream anything so cant really comment on movies. I use it mostly for internet and facebook while i'am up there. I have only had for 3 months so far and it is a little slower then what I'am use to but no problems yet. It seemed to work through some pretty good snow storms while playing on computer up there and also checking on cameras to see what it was doing up there from home while it was snowing. I also have directv to. I was TOLD and read that hughsnet was over loaded and Viasat was better at this time. I had no choice and was the only option for internet in my area.